User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
What GPS would you buy if you had $700 to spend?

So I have a budget of around $700 to spend for a GPS that I would like to use both on and off the Bike. Bikes are a KTM 990 and a KTM 530... I have owned in the past a Garmin 60CSX but felt the screen was to small and it didn't have voice turn by turn navigation and I like the touch screen. Also I have owned a Zumo but don't really think I would like that mounted on the 530. Just doesn't seem like it would be rugged enough.. I would also like something that I can download other people routes in like the UTBDR routes etc and has some decent storage. So what out there meets my criteria? Anything or am I dreamin?
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,426
My next will be a Montana. Have been running 276C s for a long time but not refurbed anymore at factory level from what I hear.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Nexus Galaxy 7inch 32gB Wifi tablet
+ Sygic, CoPilot, Navigon or equivalent for turn by turn (street) navigation (I use Sygic),
+ OziExplorer for off-road (topo map) navigation,
+ all of the functionally you get with a tablet with a fantastic 7inch screen and saving the weight, hassle and expense of carrying a netbook as well ,
and all for A$400

Which is exactly the setup I now have :)

The disadvantage is that you can't mount it on a motorbike (not weather proof and possibly not rugged enough to survive big falls) - I keep it in the map pocket of my tank bag (I do windscreen mount in the car) noting that I don't constantly refer to it, I just need to be able to have a look very 15mins or so to see how I am travelling. I use the non-3G (non cellular phone) version and tether it to my mobile phone which gives me internet access.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
So I have a budget of around $700 to spend for a GPS that I would like to use both on and off the Bike. Bikes are a KTM 990 and a KTM 530... I have owned in the past a Garmin 60CSX but felt the screen was to small and it didn't have voice turn by turn navigation and I like the touch screen. Also I have owned a Zumo but don't really think I would like that mounted on the 530. Just doesn't seem like it would be rugged enough.. I would also like something that I can download other people routes in like the UTBDR routes etc and has some decent storage. So what out there meets my criteria? Anything or am I dreamin?
Which Zumo did you have, and what made you think it was not rugged?

Should I assume from the bikes listed that you are doing lots of hardcore off-roading over rough terrain? And, further, that you want to be able to follow pre-made tracks? I'm trying to clarify your requirements...

I'm thinking you ought to give the Montana a close look. It will do turn-by-turn routing, can display tracks, and lots of folks here seem to use them offroad. One key benefit is the unit is very configurable, so you have a lot of flexibility in how you set it up.

I have one that I got recently when EMS had them on sale for 20% off, and I like it a lot, but have only used it a little and only on the street.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Montana
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Noonen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
As soon as Lifeproof comes out with a case for the iPad Mini, I wanna run one:

http://www.lifeproof.com

their cases are very rugged and waterproof to 2 meters. I have one on my wife's ipad and it really does work well. I figure the 4G/LTE iPad mini would make the perfect internet enabled GPS, only problem is you'd have to disconnect the charging cable when it may get wet to keep it waterproof.

I may get a lifeproof case for my iPhone and fabricate a mount for my it to tide me over in the mean time.
Noonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonen View Post
As soon as Lifeproof comes out with a case for the iPad Mini, I wanna run one:

http://www.lifeproof.com

their cases are very rugged and waterproof to 2 meters. I have one on my wife's ipad and it really does work well. I figure the 4G/LTE iPad mini would make the perfect internet enabled GPS, only problem is you'd have to disconnect the charging cable when it may get wet to keep it waterproof.

I may get a lifeproof case for my iPhone and fabricate a mount for my it to tide me over in the mean time.
Don't want to use a Cell Phone or wireless based device. I want it to have reception in non cell areas in the backwoods. I think the Ipad Mini and lifeproof case would work ok on road but would not be good off road. I have a lifeproof case on my current Iphone and hate it. It's a pain to listen to audio on cause you have to use the dongle, some of my chargers don't work because the charge hole is to small etc... I'm going back to Otter box commuter...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
+2 for the garmin Montana. The largest screen, waterproof GPS available that does offroad really well. It also takes the punishment of hare scarmbles and enduro races.

I have looked at lots of GPS apps for android and some of them are just OK for offroad use, but none stand out as really good. You need offline maps, import/export of GPX files, tracking, waypoints, camera is nice too. I have a galaxy tab and I can get a waterproof case, problem is getting power to the unit is a pain. I am sure I can make it work, but its just plain easier to stick the with Montana.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Harsten
Permanently Lost

Oddometer: 12
+1 for the Montana. Best one Garmins built yet, now they got the screen calibration issue sorted.
Harsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I just got the Montana 650. I like it a lot. They have them for around $450 at GPScity.com, I've recently read in another thread.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
There are many places in the western USA that there is no a cell sevice due to mountainous terrain and lack of population that would make cell service profitable.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Montana
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,877
No contest Garmin 276c, 376 or 478.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
killowatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Montana
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Don't want to use a Cell Phone or wireless based device. I want it to have reception in non cell areas in the backwoods. I think the Ipad Mini and lifeproof case would work ok on road but would not be good off road. .

An iPhone can work with GPS without a cell signal. The assisted GPS in the iPhone
uses cell towers to lower the time required for the initial fix, but in no way is a cellular
signal required for an iPhone to work effectively as a GPS.

To answer the original question : the Garmin Montana is the obvious choice in 2013 for
GPS navigation for an off-road motorcycle. Next year there may be a different optimal
solution, as is always the case with electronics.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 05:39 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote