User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #16
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Looking at your lock in the photo.

Cables such as you have can be cut with cable cutters quickly and quietly. The U lock you have cant.

U locks can be quickly and quietly broken with a pair of levers. The cable cant.

Adding a padlock to the cable and using both means the thieves have to carry two types of tools which greatly lowers the chances of it being stolen.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,993
How far away is your bike from your residence? Could you hear an alarm? There are some cost effective devices out there. Quick Googlefu turned this up;

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ith-Pager.aspx

Simply molest it, and it starts screaming. Will page you to the scene. Can be used on any bike, and the phuktards hate noise and commotion.
Then, there's always this option...

http://www.lesjones.com/2008/06/16/d...szyslak-style/
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,971
Only bike stolen

Only bike I ever had stolen was a chinese 250 dual sport. Parked a block away from the white house and next to a metro station in a row of bikes and right next to a harley. Cameras everywhere. DCMPD told me it was basically never going to be recovered and unless someone was killed, there would be no request for any video.

Oh yeah, they cut my cable lock in front of plenty of people. So, I don't leave my bikes where they could be stolen.

Move to a better neighborhood and things will get better!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Is there any realistic reason you can't wheel the thing through the front door and park it inside? Are you in an apartment on the second/higher floor?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
gone but not lost

You will have a hard time stoping them from stealing it if they really want it but get yourself one of the tracking products like riders eye and then you can track it down and get it back and maybe have a little fun doing so!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #21
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
A few years ago, when Harley's were in big demand, we pulled into an underground hotel parking area in Daytona during bike week. The police had just left and the owner of the stolen Harley was just standing there. We asked what happened and he told us his bike was just stolen and it had a locking cable on the wheels. The police to him the thieves M/O was to have a rider ride into the the under ground garage and wait until no one was around, then ride out. That was the signal for a van and four guys with two pipes to drive in, jump out, and put the pipes through the wheels, lift it in the van and leave. Takes about 30 seconds.

Lots of bikes were stolen that year.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #22
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,057
Who would want a Harley ?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Who would want a Harley ?
Better question... who can lift one... they are not exactly light and nimble...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Better question... who can lift one... they are not exactly light and nimble...lol.

I was wondering about that -- even four guys would have their work cut out for them trying to lift one into a van! For the average HD that's 170-200 pounds per dude

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #25
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I was wondering about that -- even four guys would have their work cut out for them trying to lift one into a van! For the average HD that's 170-200 pounds per dude
Lots of folks COULD do it -- but why? Plainly there was a considerable market fpr stolen HD parts...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Is there any realistic reason you can't wheel the thing through the front door and park it inside? Are you in an apartment on the second/higher floor?
Small 1 bedroom apt with a preggo. When we go out of town, I wheel it into the kitchen.

Here's when I first bought it doing some new ownership maintenance.

Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

the cost of constantly putting new seats on the bike changed your mind?
Yeah, but after a couple of uses the theft rates dropped a lot.

--Bill

Oh, before y'all think I'm a wacko, just kidding about the shaped charge...

Bill Harris screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 01:02 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Yeah, but after a couple of uses the theft rates dropped a lot.

--Bill
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,617
So I can shock somebody with my seat?? I just changed my seat cover last night, I'm sending the old one to Zombie_Stomp so he can start producing them. So I'm not worried about seat covers

You can shock your homie when you trade bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #30
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I have three bikes, all parked outside in the driveway since I don't have a garage and they're not about to fit up the stairs and inside the door. Everyone's constantly surprised that I haven't had any bikes stolen yet. I do a few things.

All my bikes have a pin-based steel brake disc lock with anti-drilling keyhole. They're also sized so that you can't get a blade/saw/other cutting tool between the disc and pin -- at least one that's sufficent enough to cut the pin in a respectable amount of time without melting the pin. I also locate the disc lock on the *rear* brake, not the front. Swapping out a front wheel on most bikes takes under 30 seconds if there's two people involved and they have a spare wheel ready. Most rear wheels take more time, espeically if you have some weird setup like my Ninja's odd-ass brake holders and chain aligners. YMMV on this depending on your swingarm/rear brake/rear wheel setup, of course, but in general the hassle of a disc lock on the rear wheel is enough to deter all but dead-set thieves.

Secondly, all my bikes have covers. This is due only to having to protect them from weather, but the side effect is that it prevents opportunist thieves. The effect is minor as most of the time you can tell the general type of bike underneath a cover, but hey, it's a side effect only.

Third, the driveway is just wider than an average car. There's only enough room to ride a motorcycle down the driveway, and not with side bags/cases. As my property is fenced to the edge of the driveway, this means someone can't walk beside the bike, let alone four people carry it out on pipes. At least one car is in my driveway at almost all hours of the day.

For all my bikes, I carry the disc lock when touring. It's small, can be worn on your belt, stuffed in pocket, or stashed in a bag. My Ninja -- looking the most like a supersport and thusly close to the main target cateogry for bike thefts in my area -- is also fitted with an alarm (triggered by hotwire, power loss, tilt, touch, and motion; I've set it off by touching my tank bag). Said alarm is also totally isolated with the battery under a screwed down seat, screw which in turn are covered by the locked pillion seat. Somebody would have to do a lot of work with a saw or crowbar to get to the alarm. Though I only really activate the alarm when I'm leaving the bike uncovered while touring.

Finally, in case a bike *does* get stolen, they all are covered by insurance.

I also believe that keeping the bikes in plain sight helps to deter casual thieves. Sure, your average passerby wouldn't know that the stranger mucking around with the bike's rear tire isn't the owner, but most casual opportunistic thieves would be scared of someone seeing what they're doing.

In reality, a simple disc lock on the rear brake is enough to deter the majority of theives. Even a chain and U/pad lock is enough of a generla deterrent. I prefer disc locks over a chain and U/pad lock because *good* chains and resistant padlocks take up too much space while touring for my tastes. That and I don't have anything to tether a chain to at home. Though I'd use one if I didn't have a rear disc brake since locking just the front tire of any motorcycle (or bicycle for that matter) is kinda pointless.

Besides, if someone is really deterined to steal a moto, they'll do it. There's an article on Reddit by a reformed professional motorcycle thief that gave out a lot of tips of what pros look for.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote