Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    JaVaWa Device Manager can check gpx files (and others) and fix some problems.

http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

I used it to find and fix several map problems. Give it a try.

:ricky
  2. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the problem is with my basecamp. I had these routes loaded in my 2730 before I sold it. They were fine.
    I was hoping they'd load into the Montana. It appears to be a more challenging procedure to load routes into the Montana vs the 2730. I guess that's progress??
  3. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a MAC,am using Basecamp and my montana with 100k topo installed. I purchased Sam's maps & roll charts a few winter's ago and am finally transferring the longitude/latitude points from my roll charts (for an upcoming trip)but have run into a problem in Utah. There are certain way points that are on the roll charts( and I can see in my bench mark maps) that do not land on "roads" in basecamp. I contacted garmin and they told me you can't force a track if there is no road to follow. Please tell me there is a way to connect waypoints out in the desert-shure hope they're wrong.
    Here is a screen shot of where I ran into trouble. The bottom right corner shows the magenta line that has been following waypoints on roads. Then the ride leaves the road and goes up and right. I used purple circles to indicate the waypoints that are not on actual roads that I want the route to follow
    [​IMG]

I ran into this earlier with one waypoint,and when I tried to add it to the other waypoints it would only reroute it on a road shown in basecamp. Can anyone help?
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can either change the Activity for the route to Direct, or create additional direct routes for the portions of the trip that are not on a road.

Wouldn't it be nice if Garmin had foreseen this very common issue, and allowed for user selected additional routing options within a single route, following roads where available, and using a user selected option for off road calculations, all within the same route?
  5. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So once I change the activity in basecamp from Motorcycle to Direct do I just drag those purple way points in the box where I've been adding each wp? I'm scared to do something that will wipe out all the work I'm doing for this track. I'm still learning how to do this stuff.
  6. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    FIRST, right-click and DUPLICATE the track, and append the duplicate track name with 'test' or similar.

Now, test away with the new TEST track, not disturbing your original.

I have a Folder List named TEST where I move all my testing files to, so I know if I am in that folder List only, I can safely modify routes and tracks, etc. without worry.

Have you seen the BaseCamp wiki?

Link is around here somewhere :)
  7. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I duplicated it as a test, tried direct route,and the 1st wp worked,but every one that followed didn't work properly. It would draw a line from the last wp that was on the road to each purple dot individually? Any idea how to force those purple dots to connect?
  8. sdthorpe

sdthorpe Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been asked;

Is there any way to thicken the track on the screen? Can be hard to see at times...

Can't find a way to do it, this is my only complaint on an otherwise awesome unit!
  9. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, and it has been requested as of November. What you CAN do is to change the track color to red, the most visible.

Setup>Tracks>Color
  10. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to do a TRACK not a ROUTE for that section.

That means you first need to find a map which shows the actual road/trail your are to follow. CNNA will not show all trails/roads on the TAT. Sometimes I used TOPO 2008 or Google Earth. Then you need to draw a TRACK by clicking along the road/trail leaving little track points from WAYPOINT TO WAYPOINT.
  11. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is CNNA? Is there a way that I can add Topo 2008 or google earth maps into my basecamp and still continue where I left off? Or will I need to start all over with something like google earth? I honestly wouldn't even know how to begin doing anything other than what I've been doing in basecamp. Any help how to direct me to get started?
  12. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Any Mac/Montana users out there still going through the problem of ejecting the Montana safely after it was connected to your computer?

This helps: JaVaWa Clean Eject

Here's a bit of information from the site:

"Note: some devices (like the Garmin Montana) automatically reconnect after ejecting. You can prevent this by letting CleanEject not to eject the device, but to de-activate it instead. It somewhat the same thing: the volume is closed so that file corruption cannot occur; the difference is that the device will not be switched off.

This can be accomplished by putting a text file with the name unmountme.txt in the root folder of the device. When you have a Garmin Montana it is sufficient to place this file on the SD card only."
  13. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    When these sections that require tracks come up during the ride, will you have to switch from the route file your following to a separate track file for the unmaped portion, and then yet a 3rd file when you reach the other side?
  14. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I finish creating a route for each state I'm crossing I convert it to a track-so I'll actually only be following a track in my gps while on the trip.. I still don't understand how I can finish creating this route in order to convert it in the end-has anyone tried this??

this is what's happening while trying to add in the purple dots as wp's to my existing route that has been following roads in basecamp[​IMG]

I really need some help with this
  15. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all ADV members posting.
    For a noob with a Montana looking for basics,- lots of info to scan and collect. Those merging other tech into Montana drive Garmin crazy I'm sure, but there's no doubt it pushes the bar up on GPS technology.

I got a new Montana for Death Valley riding, GPS adds a new dimension to riding.

(somebody answer lefty)
  16. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    This might answer your question: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18939649&postcount=4075

Anyone know if the info in the link works in Windows version of Basecamp yet. I just got a Montana and am trying to get up to speed.
  18. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the jargon:

CNNA = City Nav North America

You can add Topo 2008 or one of the newer Topo versions which may be routable and you should be able to easily continue from where you left off.

As for the Google Maps they are only viewable online in Google Earth. You can however have BaseCamp show your route or track or a specific area. In the Mac version you simply select the route, track or other item and right click on it to bring up the context menu and then select view in Google Earth.
  19. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a free map that can be added to basecamp to show more roads,or do I need to buy a map from Garmin,add it to BC so I can see all the roads? Sorry for the simple questions,I just not computer orientated,and as it stands I'm stressed and at my limit trying to figure this bloddy thing out:(:
  20. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer: