ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #91
ferrix
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post

But if I bought a car for recreational exploits - the sole purpose of most motorcycles - no amount of me adding character and excitement to my Ford is going to make it a Ferrari Maranello.
I guess that is the key and the difference between us - recreation is not the sole purpose of my motorcycles, merely a bonus. But as for turning your Ford into a Ferrari... oh yes, you could. All you need to do is use the public transport for a couple of weeks and I'd bet you'll be more excited to get behind the wheel of your Ford than any Ferrari classic.

When you give toys to young children they are just as likely to play with the box and a piece of string as the actual toy you bought. But when they grow older, they are no longer happy with the box and a piece of string - now they want an iphone. And not just any iphone, it has to be the latest model and just like the one their friends have! When I read you guys complaining about your boring bikes I think of those bored, shallow teens... and I think that your bikes are not boring - you've just lost your ability to enjoy.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #92
Unleaded
Unit Train
 
Unleaded's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Hellinois
Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
?...When I read you guys complaining about your boring bikes I think of those bored, shallow teens... and I think that your bikes are not boring - you've just lost your ability to enjoy.

Wow! Quite a leap in logic. I've enjoyed something about every bike I've ever ridden. Your words are steeped in a bit of irony, to be honest, as indiscriminate criticism doesn't suggest a joyous accuser. But variety is the spice of life, and I'm glad you've found bikes that suit your utilitarian needs.




Sent from my brand new IPhone 5 via the latest version of Tapatalk.
__________________
www.thehurricanedeck.com

Unleaded screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 11:16 PM
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #93
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DualSpaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Tijeras,NM
Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
honda Pacific Coast. A playstation is more exciting, as is watching paint dry or sleeping. Don't know what I was thinking. Got rid of it w/in 20hrs of purchase and proceeded to put 60k blissful miles on a TL1000S (very much not boring).
This was my first thought as well. I borrowed a demo from the shop I worked at while my 600 Hurricane was down. I could hear the clutch lever pivot squeak over the engine at full throttle. Like riding a large suppository. It was even that semi-metallic beige color. Used in the manner it was designed for it was incredibly boring. However, when you're trying to chase
down your buddies who are all on CBR600's it got quite exciting. It did handle the local railroad crossing jump pretty well.
If you find a bike boring you are just not going fast enough!
DualSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #94
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma
 
Donkey Hotey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 20 Mule Team Trail (Palmdale, Ca)
Oddometer: 10,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I maintain it is the job of the machine to be an excellent tool for the rider, and it is up to the rider to add the 'character' and excitement to the mix. Upon a closer examination, a 'boring' bike usually turns out to be one the rider couldn't fault - how in God's name has this become a bad thing?!?
Nope, it is quite easy to create a fake and boring motorcycle...the Japanese have become masters of this. CV carbs with small diaphragm vents to reduce throttle response or fuel injection designed to only respond so quickly. They seem to see these traits as desirable so oafs aren't startled by a 'sudden'--yet commanded--response of power. Limp suspension with imprecise damping. Excessive steering trail to ensure that wobbles and instability don't frighten the inexperienced, serve only to dull the steering feedback in the twisties. Crappy Transformer-like instrument clusters with glitzy displays that will soon fade, crack and craze. Miles of phony engine and frame covers to conceal poorly designed or poorly integrated components (Suzuki Vulcans and Yamaha Viragos are among the worst in this category). Brakes designed to intentionally not startle inexperienced users and therefore have broad engagement zones and poor final amount of available friction.

It is quite common for manufacturers to pasteurize, homogenize, filter and blend something to the point that it becomes as interesting as a block of Velveeta. If you haven't ridden a bike that doesn't suffer from those traits, you owe it to yourself to seek one out.

I tend to like my motorcycles with instant feedback, honest hardware and real suspension and brakes. There is no fake anything here. Every part has a purpose or it didn't make it to the final design. It's honest, spartan and raw. It's also the most 'alive' motorcycle I own.



It's pretty bad when a Harley engine can be described as 'responsive and snappy' compared to so many of the failures listed in this thread. The reality of 65+ ft/lbs of torque available over a 30 MPH spread in every gear makes it a willing backroad accomplice. Every tweak of the throttle is met with an immediate lunge forward. It steers right now and will stand on its nose if you ask it to.

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #95
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
It seems "boring" as some define it here is simply the wrong type of bike for the riders personality. Some ride for excitement, some for the social or lifestyle aspect, I just want to get out and go without being in a box.
I'm not an enthusiast, I'm a rider, it's not that certain bikes are "boring" per say, it's just that some have traits that diminish the riding experience.

For me, RR sport bikes are "boring", they just aren't suitable for the kind of riding I like to do. Riding them as they are intended makes as much sense as going to a 5 star restaurant and ordering a Power Bar and Gatoraid. I want to savor the entire experience, not rush through it.

I also find custom cruisers "boring", they have too many compromises to style that interfere with riding. Riding is a physical experience, nothing wrong with wanting a bike to look good, but not to the point the riding experience suffers.

I like "boring" bikes with character, bikes that don't excel at any one use but can be used for anything, Bikes that have personality but don't have annoying flaws, bikes that have that certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes them interesting and engaging.

Out of the 20+ bikes I have owned, 2 stand out, my Ural Patrol, and the KRS RZ350 I had back in the 80's. I have had all kinds of bikes and got enjoyment from all of them, but those 2 just make me want to ride, hot or cold, rain or shine......................just ride.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #96
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Nope, it is quite easy to create a fake and boring motorcycle...the Japanese have become masters of this. CV carbs with small diaphragm vents to reduce throttle response or fuel injection designed to only respond so quickly. They seem to see these traits as desirable so oafs aren't startled by a 'sudden'--yet commanded--response of power. Limp suspension with imprecise damping. Excessive steering trail to ensure that wobbles and instability don't frighten the inexperienced, serve only to dull the steering feedback in the twisties. Crappy Transformer-like instrument clusters with glitzy displays that will soon fade, crack and craze. Miles of phony engine and frame covers to conceal poorly designed or poorly integrated components (Suzuki Vulcans and Yamaha Viragos are among the worst in this category). Brakes designed to intentionally not startle inexperienced users and therefore have broad engagement zones and poor final amount of available friction.

It is quite common for manufacturers to pasteurize, homogenize, filter and blend something to the point that it becomes as interesting as a block of Velveeta. If you haven't ridden a bike that doesn't suffer from those traits, you owe it to yourself to seek one out.

I tend to like my motorcycles with instant feedback, honest hardware and real suspension and brakes. There is no fake anything here. Every part has a purpose or it didn't make it to the final design. It's honest, spartan and raw. It's also the most 'alive' motorcycle I own.



It's pretty bad when a Harley engine can be described as 'responsive and snappy' compared to so many of the failures listed in this thread. The reality of 65+ ft/lbs of torque available over a 30 MPH spread in every gear makes it a willing backroad accomplice. Every tweak of the throttle is met with an immediate lunge forward. It steers right now and will stand on its nose if you ask it to.

I consider all late model motorcycles to be fake, especially Japanese bikes. They have been so highly refined that they have no character, no personality, no "soul" left. They may be reliable, but what good is that if you don't want to ride them because they are drop dead boring. The same thing has happened to new cars, but most people use them as transportation only, so they actually like it. But to me a motorcycle is 100% a recreational machine. I would gladly give up some of that safety and reliability to have some character. Just ride ANY 30-40 year old bike, and compare it to any new bike, and you will immediately notice a huge difference. Harley is pretty much the only company that still makes bikes with any character. Harleys still vibrate, and they still have that sweet off beat exhaust sound. I wonder if that is a big part of why they still sell so well?
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #97
Pigford
British
 
Pigford's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Dorset, UK
Oddometer: 903
The BUELL thing is interesting......... But I've only ever ridden a smaller engined Lightening with 3000 miles showing, which I had for an hours test ride, with a view to buy.

I quite liked it (being bought up on mostly Jap & Brit bikes since the late 70's)..... it handled great, stopped good and sounded nice.......

.......but I was disappointed that the infamous V-Twin torque was totally lacking Not boring though.

A 1990's 883 had more grunt..... whilst the lightening needed plenty of revs - this was a real let-down, so I never bought it.

Boring bikes do exist - fact Give a dog a bone and it'll have fun for hours...... it's all relative
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #98
motorhead748
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 23
But owning/riding a boring bike can kind of be like dating a fat chick. She will go out of her way to be sure and never let you down and will do things with/to you that no supermodel ever would. So a guy needs both the way I see it. Both motorcycles and women, but multiple motorcycles are much easier to get along with.
I have both ends of the spectrum in motorcycles. I have a DL 1K for purely utilitarian duty, its sole purpose is to get from here to where ever without incident. Some call it boring, I havent reached that opinion yet but I understand what boring is. After putting 250K on connie C10 I was tired of that bike and found going places on it wasnt fun.
At the other end of the spectrum is my brutale 910R. Its a `06 and I never ride without thinking ...damn what a ride. But Im quite sure I`ll never put 250K on it either.
So to me all motorcycles serve a need for someone, they just are not for everybody.


And I do have 2 girlfriends. and they are as different as my strom and brutale.
motorhead748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #99
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,267
Its all just opinion, I have never owned a bike that any sports bike rider would label as anything but boring junk.
I have never owned a bike I did not find things to like on, there was always something good about any bike, and some bikes that had very little to like were exciting to ride.

But for me, a heavy, slow, quiet bike with lower power is not much fun, even if it never gives problems.
A light nimble and severely under powered bike is more fun as you have to race it all the time.
I also imagine a sport bike is not much fun if you have to stay within the speed limits.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #100
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Olympia, Washington
Oddometer: 415
CB700SC Honda Nighthawk S

Yeah, it looked awesome sitting still...fast looking.

Looked great on paper too as far as engineering went.

God that bike was boring to ride....wind buffeting, light switch powerband....just couldnt bond with that bike.

In retrospect, I've been that way with most Hondas Ive owned. Boring...

Looking back, Ive predominately owned and loved Yamahas.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #101
Shag67
Adventurer
 
Shag67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I bought a V-Star 650 Classic for commuter duty which it excelled at, definitely not a piece of crap if ridden as intended, but it is very uninspiring, kinda in a Honda Civic sort of way.
Have had it going on 12 years now but haven't licensed or ridden it in 5 years.
Yep. I had a 2002 V-Star 650 that couldn't get out of its own way. YAWN-O-RIFIC bike. Got rid of it and replaced it with an '05 Roadstar Warrior 1700. BIG step in the right direction at the time.
__________________
--

Do unto others before they can do unto you.
Shag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #102
KLR771
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Oddometer: 64
Bikes like the DL1000,DZR400,FZ6, KLR650,XR1200,Buells , and others aren't boring at all. It might be that the rider is boring . Maybe you need to learn how to ride it. Go to the track and go racing or do a track day or take a advance riders school. There is a place and time for all bikes you just got to go there.
KLR771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #103
PMC
riding rider
 
PMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities MN
Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
+1 on the V-strom. However, I think a nice set of slip-ons would totally change it for me. The audible of a nice V-twin is more than capable of saving the day. I'd have to see.
A set of Dale Walker Holeshot slip-ons and a Teka box tune and it totally woke my DL1K up.
Still had shitty brakes and rode way too soft but it sounded good and was fun to ride.

Most boring bike I ever rode was... well... I don't know. I kinda like everything I've owned even if it didn't suit me very well.
I'd say the most boring bikes I've had were the ones with limited range due to tank size. I don't really care to ride much in the cities and if I need to fuel up all the time it takes the fun out of it for me.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #104
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma
 
Donkey Hotey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 20 Mule Team Trail (Palmdale, Ca)
Oddometer: 10,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Harley is pretty much the only company that still makes bikes with any character. Harleys still vibrate, and they still have that sweet off beat exhaust sound. I wonder if that is a big part of why they still sell so well?
Ducati. MV Agusta. Triumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
The BUELL thing is interesting......... But I've only ever ridden a smaller engined Lightening with 3000 miles showing, which I had for an hours test ride, with a view to buy.

I quite liked it (being bought up on mostly Jap & Brit bikes since the late 70's)..... it handled great, stopped good and sounded nice.......

.......but I was disappointed that the infamous V-Twin torque was totally lacking Not boring though.
Yup, I rode the XB9 and had the exact same reaction. I PROMISE that the XB12 isn't even close to similar: 2nd gear exit wheelies are just a throttle-whack away.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #105
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Melcher, Iowa
Oddometer: 771
I had an early 80's kaw 250ltd I was bored to tears with. It was my first street bike and I should have loved every minute of it, and part of me did. The other part was afraid I'd get passed by a hopped up moped, not entirely sure it ran as it should of but it started/idled/rev'd ok.....just ungodly slow 40-45mph topped out. The vfr750 was a great improvement, even if it was a honda(no issue personally, but honda is getting dinged in this thread and others lol).
__________________
2007 Victory Vegas Premium....finally I'm back on the road with another steed.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014