User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #571
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,252
Boy this thread took a left turn.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #572
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
When buying out of state, you always want to check on the tax situation. Most states will allow out-of-state residents to forgo paying the sales tax, but not all. And one's home state will usually provide a credit against the required resident sales tax up to the amount spent out of state, but not all. Finally, I don't know of any state that will refund your money in your home state if you spent more for sales tax out of state. If the tax you paid out of state is more than the amount you owe in-state, you're SOL.

In general, the states where it makes sense to do fly/buy deals are those that charge little/no TTL when you buy the bike. I live in WA, but have bought in TX a couple times and it works out well - I usually pay $100 or so for temp tags and doc fees, but that's it. When I get home and register the vehicle, then I get reamed for the nearly-10% home sales tax.

I love fly/buy deals. You get to do a one-way long tour and really get to know your bike on the way home. Total immersion in the new bike experience.

- Mark
^ This, I've done many and agree with every word of it.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #573
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 937
Talked with my man at Honda today about this bike. He said that the biggest problem might be availability. They ordered 3 of the CB1000R (naked bike) last year for this year.
Never got one. "If we cant get one and we are the 5th largest Honda dealer..how many could have been sold?"
Plus the owner has dibs on the first one that rolls in ..so hard to say just how many they will get.
He did think that the 500's would be the shit this year.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #574
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,223
Motorcyclist magazine gives it a 4 and 1/2 star review...
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #575
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Would you mind disclosing the dealer's name and web site or contact info? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly51 View Post
Redrocket you seem to have read my post wrong,my local shop is pricing the 1100 at $8994.00,I don`t think they would be doing that if it cost them money.They are a high volume low profit shop, so where one shop sells one bike at retail they sell several units at a discount.Would you rather have one customer to sell accessories,warranty,clothing to or 10.I was a salesperson there before retirement so I know a little bit about selling bikes.It is alot easier selling accessories-etc- to a customer after you have provided a large discount,I haven`t met anyone who doesn`t like a lower price on a motorcycle or any product for that matter.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #576
kindofblue

Good review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Motorcyclist magazine gives it a 4 and 1/2 star review...

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #577
jly51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb

Good morning Kindofblue ,the shops name is Abernathy`s Motorcycle Sales located in northwest Tennessee.They sell Harley Davidson,Honda,Yamaha,Polaris,Victory,and coming soon Ktm.There is also a boat store-firearm store on the otherside of the parking lot.We are in a rural-farm area but customers come from all 50 states to purchase here.The owner`s father started the shop in a small shed behind his house.There web site is Abernathyonline.com .,local phone is 731-885-1792---800 number on the web.I worked as a salesperson for 7 years before health concerns pushed me in to retirement.My son is the parts manager,been there for 25 years.Good luck
jly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #578
kindofblue

Thumb

Thanks (what is your name, anyway?). I'll file this away till next spring. I'm going to give my local dealer a shot at my business first and I need to sit on & ride the bike to make sure it will fit me (6'4" 34" inseam).

Quote:
Good morning Kindofblue ,the shops name is Abernathy`s Motorcycle Sales located in northwest Tennessee.They sell Harley Davidson,Honda,Yamaha,Polaris,Victory,and coming soon Ktm.There is also a boat store-firearm store on the otherside of the parking lot.We are in a rural-farm area but customers come from all 50 states to purchase here.The owner`s father started the shop in a small shed behind his house.There web site is Abernathyonline.com .,local phone is 731-885-1792---800 number on the web.I worked as a salesperson for 7 years before health concerns pushed me in to retirement.My son is the parts manager,been there for 25 years.Good luck

Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #579
jly51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
You are very welcome Kindof blue,I go by Jimmy .Always good to give your local dealer first shot.I would`nt wait to long though as one of the previous posters said they will be in short supply,especialy the first year.If your local guys can`t satisfy you give Abernathys a call.Good bunch of guys to deal with,no pressure sales and everyone gets the same price.Tim Riley is the General manager,give him a call-tell him I sent you.
jly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #580
kindofblue

Hi Jimmy, Thanks. Good point on not waiting. Deposits are always refundable, at least here in NM.

Quote:
You are very welcome Kindof blue,I go by Jimmy .Always good to give your local dealer first shot.I would`nt wait to long though as one of the previous posters said they will be in short supply,especialy the first year.If your local guys can`t satisfy you give Abernathys a call.Good bunch of guys to deal with,no pressure sales and everyone gets the same price.Tim Riley is the General manager,give him a call-tell him I sent you.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #581
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,356
For 10k couldn't you get a nice CBX and have something that really is a classic and will hold it's value if not appreciate?
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #582
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
..but

would a person ride a rare vintage bike daily? especially one in good shape.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #583
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
For 10k couldn't you get a nice CBX and have something that really is a classic and will hold it's value if not appreciate?
As a 1979 CBX owner I feel I'm in a good position to comment.

You certainly could do what you're saying and you're right that it will hold its value and probably appreciate if you take care of it. But owning a 33-yo vehicle is nothing like owning a new vehicle. The older bike requires a lot more maintenance, is much less reliable, and has generally antiquated brakes, suspension, tire specs, etc. Six carbs vs. modern electronic fuel-injection? I could go on and on but you get the drift.

And if you have a really nice CBX, you probably don't want to start putting huge miles on it, both because of the repair costs and because it hurts its value. And getting full value insurance for a nice classic is pretty tricky. If you crash it, good luck getting your local Honda dealer to fix it. Actually, finding anyone who will work on these bikes is a bit of a trick in itself. You really need to be your own mechanic.

It's like comparing a 1967 Camaro to a 2013. The old one is cool as hell, but it just doesn't serve the same mission.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #584
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Yes, yes, there's always going to be a used bike that's a better deal than a new one.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #585
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
owning a 33-yo vehicle is nothing like owning a new vehicle. The older bike requires a lot more maintenance, is much less reliable, and has generally antiquated brakes, suspension, tire specs, etc. Six carbs vs. modern electronic fuel-injection? ......It's like comparing a 1967 Camaro to a 2013. The old one is cool as hell, but it just doesn't serve the same mission.

- Mark

Bingo, that would be the retro thing in a nutshell. Even if you own classic bikes you don't necessarily want to deal with them on a daily basis nor run the risk of diminishing their value thru constant use. Jumping off a T140 and on to a Street Triple doesn't feel quite right but a T100 might. 'Classic lines with modern reliabilty, parts, and support. It worked for the Hinkley Bonnies, more than likely it will work for the new CB1100 as well.