Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #406
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
I always wanted an XS650 but when i got one and rode it that changed my mind, unbelievable vibration! So I sold it but now I wish I would have kept it, just for my collection.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #407
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
I always wanted an XS650 but when i got one and rode it that changed my mind, unbelievable vibration! So I sold it but now I wish I would have kept it, just for my collection.
Don't cha know; chicks dig vibrations between their legs.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #408
heikkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Airheads. Yes, all of them...

Still remember the 1st test ride with an RS-faired R80 in mid-eighties... Had money in pocket to trade a GPz750 for it but after test ride rode quickly to Yamaha dealer and bought a FJ1100...

Then decade passed and I thought I was ready (or old enough...) for an Airhead so bought myself a R100RS, put in pieces during winter and rebuilt it. Tinkering was great, but ride next spring was not. Felt just as lousy as with R80 years earlier.

And then last winter bought another one, a R100RT. Fixed what was needed during winter again and when spring came disappointed again. Rode 100 km and traded it in autumn for a Husky Nuda 900...

Airheads are great bikes to restore and spend time with in garage, but on the road... *sigh*
Have also a K bike (and had them earlier also) and they are just opposite: no fun in building / servicing them but love to ride them.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #409
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by heikkil View Post
Airheads. Yes, all of them...

and traded it in autumn for a Husky Nuda 900...

DUDE!!! You have a NUDA 900!!!!? I have lusted after that naked SM in magazines as we can't buy it over here... PLEASE submit a ride/owners report WITH pics as soon as possible!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #410
heikkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
DUDE!!! You have a NUDA 900!!!!? I have lusted after that naked SM in magazines as we can't buy it over here... PLEASE submit a ride/owners report WITH pics as soon as possible!
Now THAT is a bike that met my expectations and went sky-high past them! No pics yet and garaged (Finnish winter here...) at dealer 200km from my place, but "story of the goodies" so far:
http://www.heikkil.net/nuda (yeah, in Finnish but click around to see the big pic... ).

heikkil screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 10:55 PM
heikkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #411
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
hoarder
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #412
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
I wasn't trying to run down the Vespa. I was pointing out my ignorance at the time that I had a favorite model of a fine manufacturer, and knew very little about 2 strokes. At the time(1976), scooters were of no account in central Vermont. I have been driving around here for 40 years on my Heinkel. Until the last few years, no one gave it a second glance, except little boys who probably thought it was a rocket. Now I am held up wherever I go by people who want to talk about it.
OK. I've found that my Heinkel has always drawn attention any time I take it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
http://www.heinkeltourist.com/index.htm

I had never seen or heard of a Heinkel scooter until this thread. I found their owners forum and learned more than I probably need to know. Crazy looking modes of transportation....I do know scooters are harder to ride than motorcycles due to their small diameter wheels and super quick steering. tp
Really a fine machine, and very practical if you're not in much of a hurry.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (220,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #413
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
88 Harley 1200 Sportster,I bought it when the Harley craze was just starting about 90 and I'd never had a Harley so a friend wanted a bigger one so I bought it and sold it in about a year.I could ride it 20 miles and my hands would be numb from vibration and took a good way to stop.I did make a profit on it that was when everybody wanted a Harley and there was none you had to get on a waiting list.I put an ad in the paper and thought I was going to have to disconect my phone.It was not a real bad bike but too heavy and slow for me.
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #414
CravenMoorhead
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFDOC View Post
I haven't seen anything really bad about a Super Tenere in this thread. Does that mean that they are okay? Or has nobody gotten around to giving one a good swift kick in the fellas?

Love the thread BTW. Lots of great information.

Anywhoooo... I'm looking to get a Tenere and am very interested in their shortcomings BEFORE I spend a metric-ass-load of money on one.

That said, I have had a few Harleys and I opine that they just aren't worth the money that I spent. Put another way, for the investment, you can get a WAY better bike. (plus the whole old age ergonomics thing)

I hate my S10 because there is nothing to hate about it for an excuse to buy a new motorcycle. Any minor annoyance or perceived Tenere short coming is easilly modified....even ran out of good unecessary mods now!
F U yamaha.

CravenMoorhead screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 07:22 AM
CravenMoorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #415
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
No mention of the Royal Enfield or Ural in 28 pages? They must be great bikes (or deserve their own threads).
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #416
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Wheeltor View Post
No mention of the Royal Enfield or Ural in 28 pages? They must be great bikes (or deserve their own threads).
Nope, you just buy one with really low expectations...

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #417
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
CB700SC Honda Nighthawk S

Yeah, it looked awesome sitting still...fast looking.

Looked great on paper too as far as engineering went.

God that bike was boring to ride....wind buffeting, light switch powerband....just couldnt bond with that bike.

In retrospect, I've been that way with most Hondas Ive owned. Boring...

Looking back, Ive predominately owned and loved Yamahas.
Vincenthdfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #418
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
What am I, chopped liver?

(Post #3, page 1)
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #419
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
What am I, chopped liver?

(Post #3, page 1)
Possible responses:

1) That's so 27 pages ago.

2) Pics, or it didn't happen.

3) Yes.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #420
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

Enter the Royal Enfield Bullet EFI.

I bought one new in 2010 and within 8k miles the piston disintegrated while I was rolling along at 60mph on the highway. The speedo "jiggles" around while ridding. The header came unbolted from the head while riding down I-4. The stock TORPEDO pipe cracked behind where it mounted to the header from the vibration. Several short months after I had the bike back after the warranty covered the top end replacement the rear tube let loose while doing 60mph around the block, turns out there was a washer between the tube and tire that some 3rd world worker dropped in there during assembly and didn't give enough of a fuck to fish it out before mounting everything up (Anybody notice a pattern here? They must be set to explode at 60mph :)

It now sits in my garage with the rear wheel off for going on over 8 months now and I could not give two shits less if it rots where it is parked, It is still under warranty too.

-Jake