Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #72331
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Some time back on this site I had read a post on how to make a damper rod tube tool for my DR out off all thread and several nuts. I made one to use to convert my forks back to the taller height and later on scavenged the pieces for another project........shouldn't have done that because now I need it again and can't remember the sizes on the all thread and nuts.

Can someone help me out with this?

Damper Rod Tool: 1" od square tubing long enough to reach the top of damper rod.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #72332
trailrider383
867-5309

Something interesting I found in the flea market: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843070

Scroll down and look at the photo with the caption of "JE piston ready for head" and also the next photo. Notice anything?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #72333
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post

I dealt with this over the past summer, only with my wife's car. Going down the interstate at a steady 75mph, the engine decides to allow one of the connecting rods some R&R, thus punching a fist-sized hole in the bottom of the crankcase at less than 41,000 miles. Car gets towed to the dealership; service manager says that in order to warranty the engine replacement, he'll have to see all the receipts from the oil/filter changes I have done. "NO PROBLEM" I tell him. Then I tell him, he can certainly see them just as soon as he can show in some reasonable way that the catastrophic failure of the engine was an "oil' related problem.
Similar situation with my DR on an extended warranty. The stator went out while I was riding in the backcountry in Colorado. The local service advisor wanted me to provide all my work receipts.

I had taken this bike for 20,000 miles through Turkey and Central Asia and done all the servicing myself (on schedule) but had no receipts. I told him when you buy a couple of quarts of oil in the bazaar you don't get a paper receipt. I had kept a written record of everything i had done, and he sent that in. The warranty company was fine with it and replaced the stator and paid for my towing.

I was pleased with the whole experience.

............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #72334
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
This is not true. There is no such thing as 'voiding' a warranty. That's just an old wives tale and should not be repeated.

Now, if you did something to the bike that caused something to fail you will likely have trouble getting a warranty repair on that failure. That will depend on the judgement call of the shop doing authorized warranty work and possibly the factory service representative.
Spot On!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,
Something to think about. When buying new with extended warranty it does only cover up to value of bike which
someone mentioned but if you do blow that 3rd gear (not for years), or any other major problem, you had better have not done any mods. That means anything, taking brass plug out of carb, different jets, different bowl screws, ANYTHING!!
Any mod at all will VOID any warranty if they want to void it and they will. Get a clean used one and buy lots of goodies
or buy new and not worry. You can buy new and mod it up, sell it a year or two later and still not lose as much money as a full set of bags for a GSA.

Happy New Year

Heirhead
Anyone who has worked at a dealership will know warranties in the USA generally favor the consumer. In the UK, Oz and other places ... the above may not apply.
It's really up to your dealer ... minor tuning mods generally will NOT void a warranty ... and the COURTS have been clear on this.
I know in the UK they void warranties for the owner doing work on the bike or an unauthorized, non official mechanic working on the bike, plus the aforementioned non stock mods.

But in the USA things are a bit different. You can do ALL work on your own bike here and its legit as long as you keep a maintenance log. Also, in my experience, minor modifications don't void warranties.

Aftermarket warranty companies will avoid a lawsuit in most cases ... because they KNOW the judge will side with the consumer. If they depute the claim they typically end up settling. So either way the consumer gets paid ... albeit with a possible LONG delay.

Out of the USA all bets are OFF unless you get lucky.
REMEMBER GUYS: dealers get PAID for all warranty work (albeit at a reduced rate). So most good dealers want the work and will push to have the claim approved.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 11:39 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #72335
shu

Oddometer: 979
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
This type of response has always humored me, Just because someone is new to a site doesn't mean they're new to life, without knowledge and an opinion. Online "status" in a "community" is a strange phenomenon.

Yup...occasionally a side subject pops in for a few pages and then this thread is back to DR's. No harm done. Plus, it was in reply to solving a DR riders need.

Murcans? Really? Settle in, ndthl, it gets bumpier than this around here. Lots to learn, unless you've made your mind up already (random & loose Murcan refererence).
Thanks for this response. Well said.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #72336
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Some time back on this site I had read a post on how to make a damper rod tube tool for my DR out off all thread and several nuts. I made one to use to convert my forks back to the taller height and later on scavenged the pieces for another project........shouldn't have done that because now I need it again and can't remember the sizes on the all thread and nuts.

Can someone help me out with this?

I used these pieces and it worked great.

18inch long piece of black 3/4inch I.D. pipe threaded on both ends

4inch long piece of black 3/4inch I.D. pipe threaded on both ends

1 90 degree elbow

A threaded brass cap 1 1/8inch flat to flat. Which looks like this:

http://s3.pexsupply.com/images/produ.../c74-147-1.jpg
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #72337
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
In my opinion, anyone who would buy a new DR650 is either very mechanically ignorant, desperate, or simply not very smart. I know that statement might seem kinda harsh, but you have to realize if you could find a nice 1996 DR650 somewhere, it would be essentially the same motorcycle as a 2012 DR650.

I bought a pretty nice 2000 DR650 late last summer from a really nice guy moving from Nebraska to Flordia (hope things are going well for you Jerry) for $1800. The bike had just a tick over 10,000 miles, which is nothing to a DR motor. The 2000 DR650 I now own was mostly ridden on the street and was very clean and well maintained. While I could have chosen to ride it AS-IS, and simply continue to do routine maintenance; and probably ride it for many years and then re-sell it; I have chosen to take the money I have saved on NOT buying anywhere close to new, and I am in the process of transforming my soon-to-be thirteen year old bike into one that is much better than a new bike at far under what a new bike costs.

You asked our advice, and my advice is to find a well-cared for used DR650, buy it, replace all the consumables it needs, continue to do routine maintenance, ride it, and enjoy it knowing you saved thousands of dollars over someone who bought a new DR650; which as I mentioned is essentially the same bike you will be riding regardless of model year.
That is kinda harsh VooDoo but I can match you If I'm going to spend 5200 bucks on a bike its going to be a clean low mileage KTM....you can do alot of used buying with 5200 bucks
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #72338
S.ROB
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New Inmate

I made it through the first 1900 pages. Can't lurk any longer, purchased my first DR in Feb of 2012.
A 1990 250 sold it in April, purchased a Blue 2005 650 with 4200 miles two weeks later.
Close to stock, I shimmed the needle,desnorkled. removed the brass cover off the air fuel mixture screw,
KN air filter,renthal bars,acerbis hand guards,250 tail light. also in the process of making a skid plate.
Thanks for the helpfull information. still got some pages to read.
Scott
S.ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #72339
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Something interesting I found in the flea market: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843070

Scroll down and look at the photo with the caption of "JE piston ready for head" and also the next photo. Notice anything?
Notice what?

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #72340
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Oh look, 8 posts. You must be a n00b.
Murcan????

Ok off to get the dictionary. Again. I wish I was more read sometimes.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #72341
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 218
Ok I don't get it. WIKIPEDIA doesn't know about the Murcan. I feel left out. What's a murcan.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #72342
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Ok I don't get it. WIKIPEDIA doesn't know about the Murcan. I feel left out. What's a murcan.
A region in the brain stem that is supposed to regulate sexual response. Dysfunction = trouble
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #72343
sunthechip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
tire leak

I was riding and the bike started to loose traction. I checked an there is a screw that went straight into the tire. I got my pump and put some air in the tire. The part with the screw in it isn't leaking any air, but the area around the tire nipple is. Any Idea what is going on?
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #72344
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I was riding and the bike started to loose traction. I checked an there is a screw that went straight into the tire. I got my pump and put some air in the tire. The part with the screw in it isn't leaking any air, but the area around the tire nipple is. Any Idea what is going on?
The screw punctured the tube and the air is coming out around the hole in the rim that the valve stem pokes through.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #72345
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
Screw went thru the tire and then punctured the tube. Air is leaking from the tube where the screw punctured it, but the path of least resistance to escape the tire is the gap around the nipple. The screw has made a pretty good seal in the tire.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote