Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #121
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
How does the SMT compare to the SM? I'm guessing pretty much the same? I had a 2006 950 SM, lost to a Toyota. I really like the bikes, and the comparo to the Multi. But really SM and SMT, very similar to ride? Thanks!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #122
wantok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
reliability of electronics down the track

I've ridden both & loved them but what concerns me about the MTS (& other very high tech bikes) is how robust are those flash electronics going to b a few years down the track - you can have just as much fun on a bike with decent non-electronic controlled suspension and a torquey engine without several different selectable maps. A decent set of mufflers and a dyno tune with a PC5 make a big difference to the SMT & those standard stainless mufflers weigh a ton & get horrendously hot. Just my 2c

Nick (wantok)
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #123
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
I know that this thread was started a while ago, but I am looking for a new bike and seriously considering a 2012 SMT. The problem is that I want to take my wife with me on a lot of rides. We looked at, and sat on a whole bunch of bikes this weekend. For comfort, she liked a left over 2010 FJ1300, a 2012 V-Strom 1000, and the SMT. The SMT sounds like, and looks like just *so* much fun. I have an extensive dirt bike background, so the seat heights do not bother me at all even though I only have a 30" inseam. I am a bit worried that the SMT does not offer the long range of the V-Strom, but the bug 'Strom just looked *HUGE* compared to the SMT, and I am worried that it would just be too big for me to wheel out of the garage for my 3 mile work commute. On the other hand, the big 'Strom looked to be more comfortable for her.
Has anybody here had some passenger experience with the SMT? Does it work well? Whatever I end up with will have to have a sturdy top case added, so she has something to lean back on. The KTM's soft bags look OK, but the soft top case they offer will not do the job as it is too low, and soft.
I love that the KTM SMT is raw, and simple. I like small, light bikes, and the big 'Strom is neither, but it does have ample performance, long range, and comfort in spades. If the SMT can be easily modified to be comfortable for my passenger, it seems like the bike for me.
We want a bike that I can ride every day, for my short commute, and rides around town, and for weekend trips, 2-up, of maybe 200 miles or so. We are in our 50's, so no sport bikes for us... Of all the bikes we looked at, and sat on (including the MTS), the decision looks like it is coming down to these two.
Can anybody convince me one way or the other?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #124
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I know that this thread was started a while ago, but I am looking for a new bike and seriously considering a 2012 SMT. The problem is that I want to take my wife with me on a lot of rides. We looked at, and sat on a whole bunch of bikes this weekend. For comfort, she liked a left over 2010 FJ1300, a 2012 V-Strom 1000, and the SMT. The SMT sounds like, and looks like just *so* much fun. I have an extensive dirt bike background, so the seat heights do not bother me at all even though I only have a 30" inseam. I am a bit worried that the SMT does not offer the long range of the V-Strom, but the bug 'Strom just looked *HUGE* compared to the SMT, and I am worried that it would just be too big for me to wheel out of the garage for my 3 mile work commute. On the other hand, the big 'Strom looked to be more comfortable for her.
Has anybody here had some passenger experience with the SMT? Does it work well? Whatever I end up with will have to have a sturdy top case added, so she has something to lean back on. The KTM's soft bags look OK, but the soft top case they offer will not do the job as it is too low, and soft.
I love that the KTM SMT is raw, and simple. I like small, light bikes, and the big 'Strom is neither, but it does have ample performance, long range, and comfort in spades. If the SMT can be easily modified to be comfortable for my passenger, it seems like the bike for me.
We want a bike that I can ride every day, for my short commute, and rides around town, and for weekend trips, 2-up, of maybe 200 miles or so. We are in our 50's, so no sport bikes for us... Of all the bikes we looked at, and sat on (including the MTS), the decision looks like it is coming down to these two.
Can anybody convince me one way or the other?
I cant vouch for the SMT but the MTS 1200 is great for two up and will be the most fun you and your wife have had with your clothes on

I have the 2010 touring model with topbox and my fiancee loves it. Great power when needed and a real grin factor to ride either solo or two up. Most owners cant find another bike they would rather have.

I get the concerns with the electronics but mot of these bikes are now going this way. If we all thought like that we would be in model T Fords. Its progress.

The Ducati luggage gives plenty of storage with the topbox holding two full face helmets and has a back cushion for the pillion.

I googled "SMT luggage" and there are options available but they all look out of place IMHO.

Dependent on budget how about waiting for the new KTM 1190?

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #125
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 146
I haven't had a passenger on my SMT, so I can't speak to that. But I do have a huge Givi Trekker 52 top case that you can get a passenger back rest for. It holds two full face helmets. It's a little big, but works for me as a daily commuter. It pops off in 2 seconds for around the town riding.

If you want a comfortable "super bike", I think the SMT is hard to beat as far as handling and brakes go. The 115hp leaves some on the table compared to the MTS, but I don't need the extra power.

Gone: '89 Honda Hawk GT650, '98 Honda VTR1000F, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2008 Harley Night Rod Special, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 KTM 300XC-W(e), 2008 KTM 690 SMC
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #126
Joel ph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
SMT for passanger

"Can anybody convince me one way or the other? "

I have LOVED every second I've ridden my SMT. It is an absolutely perfect road bike.

However, I don't think it's much good for 2 up riding. I'll take my wife for an occasional squirt or a short trip to breakfast but I wouldn't consider going much beyond a tank or 2 of gas, and in those cases I'm staying off the highway so she doesn't get bored and start to realize that her ass hurts.

On the positive side the seat/footpeg relationship is good for my wife (5' 9" or so)

If your interest/concern is for 2 up I think there are better bikes.
Joel ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #127
neilc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
On the pillion seat question has any one cum up with a solution for pillion comfort I sold my SMT and went back to a BMW R1200R and I think the BMW seat (for Pillion ) is probably worse
neilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #128
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 230
Any thoughts on the Hyperstrada vs 990SMT Can't seem to fing much out there yet.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #129
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Any thoughts on the Hyperstrada vs 990SMT Can't seem to fing much out there yet.
http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...#axzz2LeO31GWa

Looks like similar peak HP, DTC, and 25lbs lighter but smaller tank and lower spec suspension.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #130
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
I saw the hyper at the D.C. motorcycle show. Looks pretty cool. Much narrower fairing than the SMT. The SMT's 5 gallon tank spreads out quite a bit- which offers wind protection for your legs as an added bonus. Specs are VERY similar- including price. I'd rather have the little hard bags of the duc than the zippered things on the SMT.

Gone: '89 Honda Hawk GT650, '98 Honda VTR1000F, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2008 Harley Night Rod Special, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 KTM 300XC-W(e), 2008 KTM 690 SMC
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #131
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
How about the ergos on the SMT? I'm 6'2" and have knee issues and a 34" inseam. Finding a comfortable performance machine is always a bit of a challenge. How comfortable is the KTM for a taller rider?
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #132
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
How about the ergos on the SMT? I'm 6'2" and have knee issues and a 34" inseam. Finding a comfortable performance machine is always a bit of a challenge. How comfortable is the KTM for a taller rider?
Check out cycle-ergo.com to compare the SMT to what you're riding now and other bikes.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #133
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
Check out cycle-ergo.com to compare the SMT to what you're riding now and other bikes.
Thanks... I have done that and love that site. Anyone else notice the leg degrees differ from the site to what motorcyclist magazine posted just this month? Who to believe?
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #134
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 242
smt ergos

6"2, and the SMT is quite good for knee angle with the SMR seat.
Still have the option to mount lower foot pegs if needed.
More roomy for legs that the 1190 adventure I had for a day while the bike was having its service done.
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #135
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
There's a test in Bike - July 2013 issue - Hyperstrada vs. SM-T vs. Tiger Sport. They like the Duc's engine, HATE the ergos. They said of the
SM-T:

"But KTM's 990 SM-T is the winner. It does everything the others do, but better: steering, ride quality, stability, comfort, braking, and especially just having fun. It lights up every ride with the sheer pleasure of riding. It's not only the best bike here, but one of the best in almost any company."

I think they like it!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote