Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
Have you considered using a hitch extender? Here's one with a 3500 lb capacity and a 350 lb tongue weight max. The 18" version should put the pivot point of the trailer tongue behind the edge of your open tailgate.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Curt-...h-All+Products

As someone who has tried all kinds of RV's over the years, and as cute and cool looking as teardrop trailers are, I strongly recommend getting an RV with a bathroom and standing headroom. Have you considered small toy haulers. They come as short as 16 or 17 feet (box length, add four feet for the tongue). Just long enough to stuff a kayak into and will easily accommodate two motorcycles or one ATV. IMHO If you are going to deal with the hassle of parking a trailer, it may as well be one with most of the comforts of home.....

I don't know if you are only interested in a new RV but this is a great time to buy used RV's both due to the time of year and the economy. A small toyhauler can cost substantially less used than a teardrop mostly due to the cool factor of the teardrop.
I know exactly what you mean. I have a 17' trailer, but I want to downsize. I'm finding that the places I want to go these days don't have hookups and I have to pay $65/month for trailer storage. I'd like to get a setup with an attaching tent for a portapotty and cooking in the rain. I did find an outfit that custom builds work camper shells and their prices aren't bad - might be an option. I was also looking at fitting out a cargo trailer as a toy hauler setup, I found another shop that will make them to whatever height you want so I could store it in my garage. I would really dig a toy hauler if I had free storage! The other problem is gas money with my Tacoma pulling a trailer. It's not bad if you're going to stay in one place for a few weeks, but if you're going to be moving around a lot the gas gets really expensive. Sigh, never seems like there's the perfect setup.....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,082
Have you looked at a Flip Pac? Then maybe use a Verashaul or trailer in a bag?
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

The Flip-Pacs are cool. I also like the auto homes (i think that's the brand). There's a lot of neat stuff out there, but i also have the complication of doggy housing if I'm out playing without them.

Right now I think I might have to suck up the storage fees and go with 2 camping sets ups. The trailer will be for long term stays (like dump it up at Big Bear for the summer) and work on a second setup for the long, keep-moving trips. As soon as I have some cash I'll get a hitch attached to the back of the trailer. I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up a versa haul hitch rack for the back of the truck and go with a camper shell for the doggies and maybe one of those truck/extension tents. I can then sleep with the tail gate down. Probably going to be the best I can do, when I bought the truck I didn't think I'd ever be sleeping in the back of trucks again - didn't worry about the short bed!

We'll see. It was hailing today, I don't camping is going to happen anytime soon.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

I think this will solve all of my problems....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kK7lQZSks

Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,768
We did this in a short box ram 3500 with the gate closed. This is your best bet.

Worse case as I'de seen in Baja is a sheet of plywood with 2x4 bracing acting a tonneau cover with chocks and the stake pockets as tie downs. Check out Diamond back truck covers for the commercial version of the same idea.

The bonus is you can put your gear underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
So you need to haul the bike and the trailer at the same time, correct?

My concern would be damaging the tailgate when turning too sharply. If the trailer sits low enough to stay under the tailgate, it will be no problem. If you have clearance issues, I would remove the tailgate all together to avoid the possibility. You may have to angle the bike corner to corner in the bed of the truck so the rear tire has something to sit on. The front of the bike will compress as normal, then use 2 more straps to keep the rear of the bike all the way to the side of the bed. The rear straps don't need to be very tight, since they hold almost no load.

Lousy picture, but you get the idea:

The other thing I have seen people do is leave the motorcycle ramp under both tires of the bike, thereby extending off the rear of the truck, and under the rear tire of the bike. You will need more tie downs to keep the whole thing from sliding, though.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Looks good Attico. I just looked at Flippacs again and hmmmmm. Expensive little things though......

Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #22
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I think this will solve all of my problems....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kK7lQZSks
That is too cool ......

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."

Mr. G screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 08:25 AM
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #23
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
It's not bad if you're going to stay in one place for a few weeks, but if you're going to be moving around a lot the gas gets really expensive. Sigh, never seems like there's the perfect setup.....
I envy your Tacoma's gas mileage. Double digit gas mileage is a thing of beauty when you are out towing the toys......

Even better if the first digit is a "2".....

If you find that perfect set-up please let me be the first to know.....

I keep looking for the "perfect set-up" but they are all lacking in some manner. Something I do have that is not too costly and serves a lot of purposes is a Kendon Dual Rail stand up motorcycle trailer. It folds in half and stands up on it's end. It has casters so it is easy to roll around once standing. I keep it in my side yard. It will carry one ATV, my sidecar rig or two motorcycles for either day trips, car camping or motel trips. I actually see double digit gas mileage when towing it (unlike with the toyhauler). It could be something for you to think about for use in the interim and as a long term secondary play method. They seem to sell used for around $1500.00

http://www.kendonusa.com/trailer_dual.html

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Awhile ago I was thinking about buying a 8' flat bed trailer and building it up into a small toy hauler/travel trailer.

So far:
1. Buy a cargo trailer that is short enough to fit in my garage - got the bike and a place to sleep and for dogs during the day. Inexpensive, but I'm not sure I want to lose the garage space.
2. Buy a GO tent trailer and get a truck camper for the doggies. You can configure the thing to haul a bike and then it pops up into a nice double bed tent. Waaaaay too expensive!!! $7300, should be about $2 - 3000 less for what it is. Very cool idea though, very well made and takes up very little garage space.
3. Autohome Columbia tent on top of a camper shell. Bike on rack hitch. Not bad. Expensive.
4. Found a really neat version of a Hi-Lo trailer. Over $20,000. Sigh.
5. Company south of here that builds custom aluminum work style truck caps. Cheapest way to go, but I'd have to have them build a cab over and fit in a slid out bed.
6. Four Wheel pop up camper - I've loved these for years. The shell version is still pricey and I'd have to get a trailer for the bike/kayaks.

Seriously thinking about a Flippac. Nice size tent, provides doggie day time area. Bike on a hitch rack. Little pricey and will need to buy a trailer for the kayaks. Anybody ever had one of these in high winds? I've taken down a tent trailer at 2 a.m. in high winds in Death Valley. Not fun.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Mr. G
Normal Dude

If you are willing to deal with setting up a tent, Costco had these last year for under $3k. Pester them enough and they might bring them back. It's a version of the Jumping Jack trailer.

http://video.costco.com/v/6890/65043...-tent-trailer/

Or be patient and wait for a used one to show up. Someone's going to need to raise cash to pay their credit card bill after the holidays...

Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

I took a look at those, but the fabric was listed as "weather resistant" and in the video there was a light wind and the top was already blowing around pretty good. Nice idea though if somebody could beef it up.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #27
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,082
Get a box van. More than enough room for all of your stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-S...#ht_500wt_1182
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #28
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 387
Why not just get a flatbed trailer, with enough room to tie down 2 bikes and mount a popup trailer on one? I know you can find pop-ups for reasonable prices, and the flatbed trailers can be had for decent prices new from local builders. A bit of fiddling, and you got a good option.

There are other adventure tent setups than the flippac too... I would look around a bit. they are all expensive, We talked about getting one for my Jeep.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post
Why not just get a flatbed trailer, with enough room to tie down 2 bikes and mount a popup trailer on one? I know you can find pop-ups for reasonable prices, and the flatbed trailers can be had for decent prices new from local builders. A bit of fiddling, and you got a good option.

There are other adventure tent setups than the flippac too... I would look around a bit. they are all expensive, We talked about getting one for my Jeep.
I really like the autohome tents, but then I have to get a camper shell to put it on and some kind of enclosure for rainy day cooking, portapotty etc.. I would do exactly what you wrote, but I have 2 dogs that need a secure place to stay when I'm out playing. So, I still need to buy a camper shell.....with a fan in the roof.....

The shell model 4 wheel popup camper is exactly what I need, but the price! I found another company, Phoenix, that has a shell model for about $1000 less. I think I'm stuck just saving my pennies and hopefully by fall....

Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #30
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Get a box van. More than enough room for all of your stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-S...#ht_500wt_1182
Thought about that too. Ford makes this cargo type van/car that I like and it gets pretty good gas mileage, but no 4 wheel drive. I'm not sure I can give that up.