ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #781
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 24,999
argh!
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #782
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,118
its going to be a LONG 5 days
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #783
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer
 
Aussie66's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Dubai Desert
Oddometer: 770
Another guy we will be following on the side line from our pleasant gulf state will be James West.

Missed out on being Cyril's water carrier a couple of years back due to injury before the race. James owns and runs a desert tour operation here in Dubai and probably has more seat time than most in the sand. Exceptions excluded.

Probably not as outright fast as Sam but for sure a very fast rider. The last minute ride came about from his connections with Sherco. Riding the bike which Frans Verhoeven shaked down, ie broke everything he could on the bike.

I dont think James had a full year of testing as he was only informed that he got the ride a few months back. Steady dark horse who should be good for a top 20 overall. He can hang with the best in the sand.

cant wait.

PS still bummed out that Sam cant make it this year.
__________________
"If at first you dont succeed then skydiving is not for you."
Aussie66 is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #784
kaia
team F5 ⌘R
 
kaia's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: silicon valley, ca
Oddometer: 1,933
Thumb thanks ned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
One year ago today, I was shitting bricks.

... [ content clipped for thread sanity; direct link to post ] ...

And I wasn't sure if I belonged there. So now we're full circle, to where this started... nervous anticipation.
thanks for the in-the-mess-of-it descriptions for those of us following along - it really helps bring the whole picture & feeling of the race back down to the ground for those of us watching from "on high", hovering over our F5 keys.

keep it up, if you can, it's great to hear.
__________________
bike: 2010 KTM 990R | photos: SmugMug | SmugMug save $5: PeYEyWo3aVaYk
kaia is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #785
too old
Keen supporter
 
too old's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sandy waste
Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Another guy we will be following on the side line from our pleasant gulf state will be James West.

Missed out on being Cyril's water carrier a couple of years back due to injury before the race. James owns and runs a desert tour operation here in Dubai and probably has more seat time than most in the sand. Exceptions excluded.

Probably not as outright fast as Sam but for sure a very fast rider.
The last minute ride came about from his connections with Sherco. Riding the bike which Frans Verhoeven shaked down, ie broke everything he could on the bike.

I dont think James had a full year of testing as he was only informed that he got the ride a few months back. Steady dark horse who should be good for a top 20 overall. He can hang with the best in the sand.

cant wait.

PS still bummed out that Sam cant make it this year.

Don't forget Seb on the quads also - role on DC for Sam (hopefully)
too old is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #786
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 6,899
So have we had predictions for top three (moto), top rookie and top privateer yet?
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #787
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Balkan
Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
You're given a card with a lot of empty boxes, your job is to walk around and get a stamp in each one.

Ned,
What about that Leatt stamp? Is it a safety requirement? Is anything, except helmet and water, required for a rider to carry on himself?
Balkan Boy is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #788
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff
 
wilkinsonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sanford, NC
Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Ned,
What about that Leatt stamp? Is it a safety requirement? Is anything, except helmet and water, required for a rider to carry on himself?
From last year in the Neduro to Dakar thread: (http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1165)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Leatt brace:
According to the regs: "Over the entire route the wearing of Leatt Brace neck protector is strongly recommended." So it's a strong recommendation (like it was last year), but not mandatory. There's a handful of pros who say they can't ride with one, so they took it out of the rules.
wilkinsonk is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #789
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 16,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Unless anyone has any objections, I would like to put up the main coverage thread later tonight. I guess like last year any of the mods can lock it until raceday. Thoughts?
I'll put my vote in...

If Doyle drafts his (per usual) OFFICIAL DAKAR race coverage thead prelude (complete with his inimitable pre-rally intoduction, ADV spin and all pertinent links, tips and the like ) then someone on the f5 mod team can lock it (& sticky it) until the 5th (official start day) so that all the forum inmates can familiarize and peruse the info at their leisure (meanwhile all the pre-rally guff on scrutineering/tech inspection, last minute freight delays and unsubstantiated rumours can continue unadulterated here in the "Pre-Event discussion thread").

Then on the f5ith* of january one of the mod squad can "open" the f5loodgates on the f5irehose (to coincide as the f5irst MOTO competitor rolls up onto the ceremonial start podium - as per the official Dakar schedule - would be good f5 f5orm... ) and from then on it's gonna be a f5ull pressure f5irehose f5renzy as the race coverage speeds off at a bazillion posts a day towards a new f5 personal best for cyber web rally raid participation...

* Did anyone else notice that the ASO changed the start date JUST to honour the vital contribution and integral part of DAKAR that the f5 collective at ADV has become...?

Might I suggest (also? ) that a good number of the other pertinent Dakar/ADV threads - including the Official DAKAR Coverage f5irehose - (ie: Media/Photo link thread, TV coverage, torrent streaming link thread, Pyndon thread, Robby thread, 4 wheel Dakar, the HRC thread and possibly any others deemed heavy traffic... oh, lets not forget the DAKAR F5 101 instruction thread for f5 rally n00bs). Could all these be stickied as well, for the duration...? as it will make the job of the Dakar f5aithfull (and the f5 mod squad) much easier to pan through the body of material and - most importantly, for those you can't devote 24/seven for two weeks to dakar duty - allow us to keep the "DAKAR Cliff Notes" thread (also a sticky) up to date and topical...!?

All of the other usual racing threads (and even those Dakar related not deemed "heavy traffic/sticky) will live their lives these first two weeks of january, just floating under the f5 foam that bubbles up the top (if they have momentum they won't fall off the front ) and once the rally crosses the line in Chilé, things will (slowly) die down, the " DAKAR stickies" will be removed and things revert back to normal (are they ever that way around here...??!! ) eventually and all will be at peace in the racing forum again (by about the end of February... ).

This year we have got more mods on this thing than a Bultaco rallybike (most of them are old, blow smoke... and bits fall off now and then ), but the "powers that be" that live behind the green curtain down in the basement have allocated buttons and probationary privelliges that will enable the f5 effort for the 2013 virtual DAKAR festival to be - what we hope - will be the best ever...!!!


f5 DAKAR roll on...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John
"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."


Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 12:53 AM Reason: f5at f5ingers
troy safari carpente is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #790
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac
 
practicalshooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Winter wonderland
Oddometer: 154
__________________
Team F5
practicalshooter is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #791
Sundowner
Bort
 
Sundowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Central Oz
Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
, but the "powers that be" that live behind the green curtain down in the basement have allocated buttons and probationary privelliges that will enable the f5 effort for the 2013 virtual DAKAR festival to be - what we hope - will be the best ever...!!!


f5 DAKAR roll on...
Sweet Mother Of God, they've made you a Mod. We're all doomed.
__________________
Home - an amazing place.
"Surround yourself with the best people you can, and make them your friends" - Justin Hunt, Oz Safari Director.
"
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is online now  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #792
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff
 
wilkinsonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sanford, NC
Oddometer: 635
Make the stickies now...

I'm all for making the "Official Event Discussion" a stickie now. Do this for the other high-traffic threads as well and that will give the ASO (http://www.aso.fr/us/dakar.html) and Dakar organization (http://www.dakar.com/) time enought to update their links. I picture them saying something like, "Find out what's really happening in the moto division at advrider.com"

Also, while everyone's supporting their favorite riders, both privateer and professional, don't forget to support this site (http://www.advrider.com/Donate/Donate.html). Let's help Baldy make sure that the ADV Rider walls don't come crumbling down under constant pressure of the f5irehose.
wilkinsonk is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #793
too old
Keen supporter
 
too old's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sandy waste
Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I'll put my vote in...

If Doyle drafts his (per usual) OFFICIAL DAKAR race coverage thead prelude (complete with his inimitable pre-rally intoduction, ADV spin and all pertinent links, tips and the like ) then someone on the f5 mod team can lock it (& sticky it) until the 5th (official start day) so that all the forum inmates can familiarize and peruse the info at their leisure (meanwhile all the pre-rally guff on scrutineering/tech inspection, last minute freight delays and unsubstantiated rumours can continue unadulterated here in the "Pre-Event discussion thread").

This year we have got more mods on this thing than a Bultaco rallybike (most of them are old, blow smoke... and bits fall off now and then ), but the "powers that be" that live behind the green curtain down in the basement have allocated buttons and probationary privelliges that will enable the f5 effort for the 2013 virtual DAKAR festival to be - what we hope - will be the best ever...!!!

f5 DAKAR roll on...

Does this mean you are staying in the land of darkness and cold as opposed the actual and not virtual Dakar?
I presume you have an extra couple of fingers grafted on for the the next 2 weeks or so
too old is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #794
too old
Keen supporter
 
too old's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sandy waste
Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
I'm all for making the "Official Event Discussion" a stickie now. Do this for the other high-traffic threads as well and that will give the ASO (http://www.aso.fr/us/dakar.html) and Dakar organization (http://www.dakar.com/) time enought to update their links. I picture them saying something like, "Find out what's really happening in the moto division at advrider.com"

Also, while everyone's supporting their favorite riders, both privateer and professional, don't forget to support this site (http://www.advrider.com/Donate/Donate.html). Let's help Baldy make sure that the ADV Rider walls don't come crumbling down under constant pressure of the f5irehose.
Allready sent my $100 on Helder to win to Ted/Deadly99 - he can route it to Advider - if Helder does win and I pay my second $100 I'll send it direct - don't worry I'm new to this betting thing

Pay to win with no returns and double up if I call the winner - not much of a future, but what the hell, money well spent!
too old is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #795
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer
 
Aussie66's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Dubai Desert
Oddometer: 770
you are too right "too old" Seb should cause a shake up or two. The guy sure can cane a quad.
__________________
"If at first you dont succeed then skydiving is not for you."
Aussie66 is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014