Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #2131
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The H2s are about 2x better than the H3B battery-wise, my H3B won't work as I intended because of the battery. I'll be modding it to accept external power.
Cant understand why they or someone hasnt come up with an option for connecting external power, its an obvious addition for bikers.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #2132
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
bluetooth??

Anyone have any ideas on how one might hook up an iphone and a hero 3 black via wifi... then pair the iphone with a Sena SMH10 to get bluetooth microphone capability? Is it even possible? Maybe the microphone jack on the hero needs a bluetooth device on it? or maybe plug the hero mic cable into the iphone? No idea... just started thinking about this.

Otherwise... anyone have a simple 3.5 jack mic they can recommend that mounts inside a helmet?

atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #2133
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
So I'm working with the new Hero2 I rec'd for Xmas. One mounting point will be Teletubby style on top of the lid. Problem is I wear a Nolan N90 flip up. The top edge of the visor goes waaaaaay back when the chinbar is raised.

I haven't tested the camera on the helmet yet. Anyone have any experience in mounting this far back?

Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3e9XLiMJM
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #2134
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
So I'm working with the new Hero2 I rec'd for Xmas. One mounting point will be Teletubby style on top of the lid. Problem is I wear a Nolan N90 flip up. The top edge of the visor goes waaaaaay back when the chinbar is raised.

I haven't tested the camera on the helmet yet. Anyone have any experience in mounting this far back?

Thanks.
I have a flip up Shoei and mine works fine mounted back a bit. There is enough height and pivot of the camera to be ok.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #2135
Tigeraif
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have mounted the gopro on the side of my matt black flip up helmet. I am about to head off on a long trip tomorrow. How secure are these mounts? Should I tether them?
Tigeraif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #2136
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeraif View Post
I have mounted the gopro on the side of my matt black flip up helmet. I am about to head off on a long trip tomorrow. How secure are these mounts? Should I tether them?
If the mount is glued on and has been on for at least 24 hours in a warm place, there is no need to tether. I have had to remove a couple of the mounts, and know just how strong the 3M adhesive is! You could probably hang off it and it wouldn't come off.

Took me a couple of hours of repeatedly soaking the adhesive with "Goo Gone" then prying with a spatula to get the mounts off. No joke.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 04:35 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #2137
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
If the mount is glued on and has been on for at least 24 hours in a warm place, there is no need to tether. I have had to remove a couple of the mounts, and know just how strong the 3M adhesive is! You could probably hang off it and it wouldn't come off.

Took me a couple of hours of repeatedly soaking the adhesive with "Goo Gone" then prying with a spatula to get the mounts off. No joke.

Wondered how to do that
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 AM   #2138
AUSSIEADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
The 3M tape used can be released by applying heat by a hair dryer etc.
AUSSIEADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #2139
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeraif View Post
I have had a mount on the top of my HJC modular helmet for over 3 years now. Believe me, once its installed on your helmet it's there until you buy a new helmet.

I'd tether the camera housing to the mount. On a get off the camera housing it more likely to break off before the black mount ever comes off that helmet. Use a fishing line with lead oval compression sleeve or go to a big box outlet like Lowe's or Home Depot to get some 1/32" or 1/16" cable w/oval compression sleeves.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #2140
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,082
thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #2141
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I just finished up my first vid from my Hero 2. Tried to use the GoPro CineStudio but it sucks. So I used the Microsoft Movie Maker. Super easy to edit once you get the hang of how things work. My only complaint is the amount of time to load for editing and uploading to YouTube. Damn, it takes a long time. Overall happy with the camera's performance. Great clarity and I recorded using 960 by mistake. 1080 will be next.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #2142
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,241
A snowy WR250R winter ride

Shot at 120 FPS with my new Hero3.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #2143
Tigeraif
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thx for the information. Will start using it tomorrow.
Tigeraif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #2144
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Wifi Bac Pac

Well, I received the wifi kit in the mail. The directions really suck, as usual. Once I got everything updated and paired it worked like a charm, for the most part. When using the remote you have to navigate through the menu settings slowly due to the lag. Once you get the hang of it there is nothing to it. The iPhone app is really impressive. There is a 3-4 second video lag for real time but making changes in the camera with the app is much easier than with the remote. I am going to have a blast with this setup this weekend!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #2145
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,801
I got the two Hero 2/WiFi/Remote kits I ordered on the Boxing Day sales today. Sold one kit immediately, and now I need to figure out how to control multiple cameras from the remote or iPhone...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote