Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,343
Sloans in murfreesboro Tn sells the Kymco 300 GT for $4383.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #17
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Your comment confuses me. Alliance Powersports is the US distributor for SYM, and provides the new ones currently in inventory at US SYM dealers after the debacle that was the Carter Brothers and their curious problems with suspicious warehouse fires.

I read the SYM forum pretty frequently as well as Alliance's Facebook page- they seem to be getting new inventory all the time. They got a very cool new flat white 2013 HD200 Evo a day or two ago. My dealer told me they try very hard to ensure part orders get fulfilled. Are you unaware that Alliance is the distributor, or are you saying they are not able to fulfill their purpose and support current dealers?

Lastly, it would appear from the SYM website that the HD200 engine is the same as used in the 2013 RV200 as well. I've not seen one, but HP specs are the same. http://alliancepowersports.com/models/index.html
My local dealer here in British Columbia has been using Alliance for SYM parts because of the good prompt service. They recomended that I do the same for my Citycom because the Canadian distributer has been so useless and Alliance has been first class.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Your comment confuses me. Alliance Powersports is the US distributor for SYM, and provides the new ones currently in inventory at US SYM dealers after the debacle that was the Carter Brothers and their curious problems with suspicious warehouse fires.

I read the SYM forum pretty frequently as well as Alliance's Facebook page- they seem to be getting new inventory all the time. They got a very cool new flat white 2013 HD200 Evo a day or two ago. My dealer told me they try very hard to ensure part orders get fulfilled. Are you unaware that Alliance is the distributor, or are you saying they are not able to fulfill their purpose and support current dealers?

Lastly, it would appear from the SYM website that the HD200 engine is the same as used in the 2013 RV200 as well. I've not seen one, but HP specs are the same. http://alliancepowersports.com/models/index.html
In the United States, Kymco distributes Kymcos, Honda distributes Hondas, Yamaha distributes Yamaha, etc. SYM does not distribute in this country, and if you look at most of the other brands that operate(d) that way, Hyosung, TGB, Adly, SYM etc, it usually doesn't work out for the owner in the long run. PGO, via Genuine, is probably the glaring exception. Manufacturers can usually weather market fluctuations, and most distributors can't or don't want to. Nor do they tend to stock parts for models they don't currently sell. Being able to buy a belt and rollers online and oil at the auto parts store for a model that is currently in production is not the same as being able to buy a water pump, crankshaft, CDI or head assembly five years down the road.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
In the United States, Kymco distributes Kymcos, Honda distributes Hondas, Yamaha distributes Yamaha, etc. SYM does not distribute in this country, and if you look at most of the other brands that operate(d) that way, Hyosung, TGB, Adly, SYM etc, it usually doesn't work out for the owner in the long run. PGO, via Genuine, is probably the glaring exception. Manufacturers can usually weather market fluctuations, and most distributors can't or don't want to. Nor do they tend to stock parts for models they don't currently sell. Being able to buy a belt and rollers online and oil at the auto parts store for a model that is currently in production is not the same as being able to buy a water pump, crankshaft, CDI or head assembly five years down the road.
Ah, ok- I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying. I guess my only thought on this is that being the manufacturer doesn't necessarily guarantee continuity either- look at Piaggio abandoning the US back in the 80s. Your point though is well taken. And in fact one of the reasons I held off on SYM was to see if they would establish a wider dealer network than what they've got to help ensure longer term success.

Kymco certainly appears to be going into a major dealer expansion. I've just not seen it make it's appearance in my neck of the woods....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
HBrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Sym

Didn't Suzuki USA just mostly shut down? No level of business is immune from a recession.

So far I am super happy with my local SYM dealer and by default Alliance. I currently own a HD 200 and will not hesitate to buy another SYM product. My HD 200 has performed flawlessly as my commuter for the last 4 seasons.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
hexnut
just cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post
Didn't Suzuki USA just mostly shut down? No level of business is immune from a recession.

So far I am super happy with my local SYM dealer and by default Alliance. I currently own a HD 200 and will not hesitate to buy another SYM product. My HD 200 has performed flawlessly as my commuter for the last 4 seasons.
That was Suzuki automobiles. They will now focus on motorcycles, ATVs, and boats part of their business, Their motorcycle division is alive and well.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...595637fd3.aspx

hexnut screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 11:13 AM
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
t.s.graham
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Which ride to buy

Greetings,
I'm not a high miler compared to many in this community, but I did put 10K on an '07 250 GTS and now have just shy of 5K on my '12 300 GTS and all I've done is change oil, one CVT belt on the '07 and a couple back tires. There's a huge difference, in my mind, between the 250 & 300 in the gitty-up department. If I crank the 300 from a standing still position the front end gets light real quickly. I don't go there often but it is a bit intoxicating...for a scooter experience. I find the 300 much smoother too at speed than the 250. I haven't ridden any of your other choices but I don't think you'd be disappointed with either model Vespa.

My riding is primarily on the secondary blacktops but it's nice being able to hit a freeway if time ran away with me and I'm heading home.

tsg
t.s.graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
HBrew
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
That was Suzuki automobiles. They will now focus on motorcycles, ATVs, and boats part of their business, Their motorcycle division is alive and well.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...595637fd3.aspx
The point is was it corporate Suzuki? if so they still closed the doors. No advantage over a separate company distributing the product here. A previous post suggested since SYM was not distributing product directly in the US that this is a negative. My point in bringing up Suzuki is that is not necessarily true. So far Alliance appears to be executing a very good business plan, as a customer I am happy with SYM, my local dealer and Alliance.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
hexnut
just cruising

Quote:
The point is was it corporate Suzuki? if so they still closed the doors. No advantage over a separate company distributing the product here. A previous post suggested since SYM was not distributing product directly in the US that this is a negative. My point in bringing up Suzuki is that is not necessarily true. So far Alliance appears to be executing a very good business plan, as a customer I am happy with SYM, my local dealer and Alliance.
No I believe this was Suzuki USA. This had no bearing on suzuki Japan.

I don't know about the others but Kymco USA is 100% owned by Kymco Taiwan. They bought them out a couple of years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...uptcy/1684843/

Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
No, they didn't close the doors, they stopped selling cars in the US. The point is that manufacturers can and are willing to weather a money losing year or two, and have the ability to do so. Most of the distributors bolt or cut way back when the market tanks.
Now, just so you fully understand the difference between dealing with the company you are dealing with and a manufacturer that distributes their own product, try buying body panels for a 2006 Lance, and then try buying them for any 1995 Honda or Yamaha scooter.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
HBrew
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
No, they didn't close the doors, they stopped selling cars in the US. The point is that manufacturers can and are willing to weather a money losing year or two, and have the ability to do so. Most of the distributors bolt or cut way back when the market tanks.
Now, just so you fully understand the difference between dealing with the company you are dealing with and a manufacturer that distributes their own product, try buying body panels for a 2006 Lance, and then try buying them for any 1995 Honda or Yamaha scooter.
Manufacturers can leave a market just a fast as a separate business distributing when they decide it is not profitable enough. Suzuki stopped selling cars in the US, even though they could have afforded to keep taking losses for years. I own an Izuzu they are still around but no longer sell cars in the US, even though they could have afforded to lose money in this market for years. There is a lot more to the equation than a company distributing product directly in a market.

HBrew screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 03:29 PM
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Murgatroid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
At the risk of bring this thread back on topic, I plan to test ride the HD200 today. The more I think about my bike roadmap, the more I think it makes sense to get a lighter scooter. I can get a more tour oriented bike or scooter in the future. I do like the idea of being able to carry a scooter with me on a hitch carrier on the front of my truck camper. 300lbs is about the max I'd feel comfortable doing that.

So far my attempts to check out the BV350 have been thwarted! I stopped by the dealer in Walnut Creek on my way to the bay area yesterday, but they were still closed for the holidays. This dealer has hours that pretty much guarantee that I can't just stop by on my weekly trip up and back home. The closest dealer with stock is in SF and I'll be near there today looking at the HD200, but their BV350 is in storage and the guy who knows where that is and how to retrieve the bike is not in until tomorrow.

It may be just as well. I'd rather spend less money anyway.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,263
But didn't you first mention that you'd use this new scooter for riding, at elast sometimes, between the Sierra foothills and Silicon Valley? I live in Oakland and go to the Sierra's on a BV250, its perfect...for the back roads, (think through the Delta or across the valley on country roads) and OK for limited freeway use, but for slogging it on 80 over the Carniquez Bridge or over the Altamont, (yuck!!) it, and the rider, is over taxed. Sure you can do it, I can, and sometimes do, but the bike is typically running 85% WOT, and up the Altamont into a headwind its WOT and skirting around the semi-trucks, not pretty. The BV350 would be a big step up, maybe perfect. I don't imagine a 200 cutting it at all. Yes, disclosure time, I lust after a BV350, it seems perfect. And once you see one in person it makes the lust worse.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroid View Post
At the risk of bring this thread back on topic, I plan to test ride the HD200 today. The more I think about my bike roadmap, the more I think it makes sense to get a lighter scooter. I can get a more tour oriented bike or scooter in the future. I do like the idea of being able to carry a scooter with me on a hitch carrier on the front of my truck camper. 300lbs is about the max I'd feel comfortable doing that.

So far my attempts to check out the BV350 have been thwarted! I stopped by the dealer in Walnut Creek on my way to the bay area yesterday, but they were still closed for the holidays. This dealer has hours that pretty much guarantee that I can't just stop by on my weekly trip up and back home. The closest dealer with stock is in SF and I'll be near there today looking at the HD200, but their BV350 is in storage and the guy who knows where that is and how to retrieve the bike is not in until tomorrow.

It may be just as well. I'd rather spend less money anyway.
Anxious to hear your impressions of the HD200.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
Murgatroid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I had thoughts of riding it between the mountains and the bay, but it wasn't a high priority since I have a motorcycle that can do that. I will mainly be using it around town while I'm down here during the week. I'd also like to be able to carry it on my truck camper.

As much as I love the BV350, for now I'm going with the 2012 HD200. It was bought new in July at SF Moto and has 300 miles on it. It looks brand new. It has a Givi top case on it. I am getting it for $2600. I was VERY impressed with it's acceleration. It fits me perfectly and I can flat foot it (5'9", 30" inseam). I can totally see getting a used BV350 in a couple of years, though.

I'm very excited! I'll pick it up tomorrow.