User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,140
Heated Topcase

So I just bought a new Givi E55 topcase for myself for Christmas, and some heated gear, which means I'm good to ride down into the single digits, and I plan on riding through the winter.

I keep some items in my topcase digital camera, for example that I would rather not freeze if I go riding for a few hours. Has anyone come up with a way to keep the items in their topcase from freezing? Or is this a question only an insomniac like me considers at 2:00 a.m.?

I've considered battery-powered heated socks, cut down the middle to form a heating pad of sorts. Maybe one on the bottom of the case, and one placed on top of my stuff. With a 9-volt rechargeable battery, they should radiate some heat for at least a couple hours.

Also, tossing in a couple/few disposable heat packs, like those you find in most hunting stores. I don't know if these would radiate enough heat, though.

I would rather not wire up heating elements into the topcase, as this would mean drilling at least one small hole in the topcase.

Any thoughts? Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Insults will be tolerated. Questions of my sanity are expected.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
How cold are you riding in? Most electronic equipment will do just fine in cold conditions. It's the batteries that will suffer. Keep camera batteries in your pockets and they will be okay. And realistically....if it's that cold...put the bike away
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
i think you need to be careful here.If you have a warm camera and bring it out into cold air,you might cause yourself condensation issues INSIDE the camera
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Leodis41
I wanna Orange one!!

Oddometer: 65
If the camera gear is warm inside and out you will not get condensation forming when you remove it from the top box and case.

Condensation forms when warm moist air hits a cold surface whose temperature is lower than the dew point of the warm air.
The bigger risk is when you put the camera back in the top box, if it is cold and damp outside this, dampness will permeate into the top box, after using the camera outside it will have cooled down, so when you put it back in the top box that is when the risk of condensation forming on the camera. This is because the camera will be cold and the air in the top box warm and moist and so condensation could form.

Keep the top box unheated and if really cold take a spare set of batteries with you.

Oh and when taking the photo be careful of where you breathe when you get the camera out.
Leodis41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Get an insulated bag for the camera and heat that. It'll use a lot less power.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
Come on, come clean. You're going to be delivering pizzas aren't you?

How about just carrying the camera in an inner pocket?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Come on, come clean. You're going to be delivering pizzas aren't you?
You got me. I bought my FJR so I can be anywhere in 30 minutes or less.

[QUOTE=Speedo66;20363238How about just carrying the camera in an inner pocket?[/QUOTE]

The camera is too big for carrying in a pocket.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

I'm riding down into the single digits.

And I don't need to keep everything in the topcase at 68 degrees. I just want to keep some of the electronics from actually freezing.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'm riding down into the single digits.

And I don't need to keep everything in the topcase at 68 degrees. I just want to keep some of the electronics from actually freezing.
It gets that cold in Arkansas ?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
It happens occasionally, but rarely. I ride every day, though, unless there's ice on the road.

Last winter, I don't think the temps fell below freezing more than a half dozen times at night. This year, it's been in teens several times, so I'm anticipating a colder winter.

But I have a new hobby photography so I'm trying to get out more, ride on the weekends, and start learning how to take better photos. So during the winter, that means colder temps.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Boot sole liners that are heated. They are flat and draw only a little power. Should be enough.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
For two weeks.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
It happens occasionally, but rarely. I ride every day, though, unless there's ice on the road.

Last winter, I don't think the temps fell below freezing more than a half dozen times at night. This year, it's been in teens several times, so I'm anticipating a colder winter.

But I have a new hobby photography so I'm trying to get out more, ride on the weekends, and start learning how to take better photos. So during the winter, that means colder temps.
One problem you can run into is if the camera is several degrees warmer then the outside air, when you pull it out you'll have issues with the lens fogging up and heck, maybe even the sensor I'm guessing. I would think you want to keep the camera at or about the temps of the outside air. Like someone else said, just keep teh batteries warm.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Leodis41
I wanna Orange one!!

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
One problem you can run into is if the camera is several degrees warmer then the outside air, when you pull it out you'll have issues with the lens fogging up and heck, maybe even the sensor I'm guessing.
Sorry to correct you but refer to post 4 earlier. Hot moist air hitting a cold surface, not cold air on a hot surface.
Leodis41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis41 View Post
Sorry to correct you but refer to post 4 earlier. Hot moist air hitting a cold surface, not cold air on a hot surface.
So the reverse, putting the cold camera into the heated top case will cause the condensation.