Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #3046
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
The oil on the twin air filter won't come off with No Toil cleaner, you have to use the twin air's cleaner. I tried that on mine and it didn't work very good.
Both oils work well in my experience but Twin Air oil is a beeyotch to clean. You have to use HOT water to help break down the oil. Hotter than you can touch. I got some Twin Air oil at a closeout for cheap, but none of the cleaner. I've been using TSP.
I also use Filter Skins to prolong the service interval of the filter.

Garrett
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #3047
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Am I the only 500 rider out on his bike? I got a chance to ride my bike the last two days here in the mountains on studded tires. First of all this is a seriously fun bike! If you're on the fence you should go and get it. It's a blast and really nice to ride. Winter riding is a hoot as well and highly recommended if you've not tried it before.

Garrett
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #3048
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Am I the only 500 rider out on his bike? I got a chance to ride my bike the last two days here in the mountains on studded tires. First of all this is a seriously fun bike! If you're on the fence you should go and get it. It's a blast and really nice to ride. Winter riding is a hoot as well and highly recommended if you've not tried it before.

Garrett
Awesome Garrett! Lets see some pics of your bike out there. :) pics or it didn't happen...hahaha j/k yeh you're the crazy one riding in the snow. 30's I'm dieing. brrrr
Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #3049
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

Garrett
We are too busy riding to post!
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #3050
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
Awesome Garrett! Lets see some pics of your bike out there. :) pics or it didn't happen...hahaha j/k yeh you're the crazy one riding in the snow. 30's I'm dieing. brrrr
Yeah I know, I have some that I'll post up once I upload them to Photobucket.

In the meantime Happy New year!

Garrett
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #3051
advdoctor
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post

I'm no rocket scientist, so someone is going to have to explain that you tube video spewing out gasoline to me.

If there was pressure build up which you would expect with vaporized gas (which has a higher degree of volume expansion with temperature change than a fluid does), it would burp air. To spew fluid gas, he must have filled it up to the rim at very cold temperatures, not consumed any fuel and let it get fairly hot.
advdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #3052
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by advdoctor View Post
I'm no rocket scientist, so someone is going to have to explain that you tube video spewing out gasoline to me.

If there was pressure build up which you would expect with vaporized gas (which has a higher degree of volume expansion with temperature change than a fluid does), it would burp air. To spew fluid gas, he must have filled it up to the rim at very cold temperatures, not consumed any fuel and let it get fairly hot.
I saw the same thing happen on a 4-wheeler, and his vent tube wasn't blocked. So I'm not sure how to explain in myself.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #3053
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Winter rding the 500

Yesterday and the day before a group of buds got out on our bikes with studded tires and enjoyed some spectacular winter riding west of Calgary here in Alberta.
My buddy Andy "likes" my 500 a bit too much. It was a little awkward...

SeatConcepts seat is a must!

We took a break on this frozen river, it was like a curling rink and really slippery.

The 500 ran flawlessly and winter riding is a blast. I'm going out again next weekend as long as it doesn't get too cold. Today was about -8 celcius. we were riding in areas that you can't ride in summer, marshy bogs and steep slick hills are frozen and easy to navigate with the studs and the 500 tractors really well. I'm still getting to know the bike so I haven't done any suspension setup yet. I'm thinking the bike would benefit from a steering damper as it's quick and light to steer. I ended up making 4 or 5 inadvertant "snow angels" over the last 2 days but it's good fun!

Garrett
Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #3054
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

One more shot...

I didn't leave my 500 alone this time. KDX guy is taking the picture.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #3055
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
I saw the same thing happen on a 4-wheeler, and his vent tube wasn't blocked. So I'm not sure how to explain in myself.
It's because the cap at end of hose ball bearing in there gets stuck
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #3056
Atomic Wedgie
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Am I the only one not thrilled with the 500 EXC? So far I've had two ruptured fuel ines (ended up replacing the stock FI line with Gates FI line and a Golan filter). And I'll be damned if I can't keep the bike from flaming out and stalling, so far I've removed all of the smog equipment, put an FMF Q silencer on, and have added a JD Jetting 6X tuner...and this bike refuses to run right at low RPM's. I've had a couple of near get offs when approaching gnarly g-outs, crack the throttle and the bike bogs or just plain flames out. I've ridden Yamaha WR's for the past ten years and those didn't take near the work to get them to run right.
Atomic Wedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #3057
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
Yeah, A.W. how many hours on your bike? It takes about 15-20 hrs to get it running good. Ditch that JD tuner and have your dealer put on the Acrop/Aus map. It runs great, esp with an open muffler.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #3058
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgie View Post
Am I the only one not thrilled with the 500 EXC? So far I've had two ruptured fuel ines (ended up replacing the stock FI line with Gates FI line and a Golan filter). And I'll be damned if I can't keep the bike from flaming out and stalling, so far I've removed all of the smog equipment, put an FMF Q silencer on, and have added a JD Jetting 6X tuner...and this bike refuses to run right at low RPM's. I've had a couple of near get offs when approaching gnarly g-outs, crack the throttle and the bike bogs or just plain flames out. I've ridden Yamaha WR's for the past ten years and those didn't take near the work to get them to run right.
I can only speak from my experience riding a '12 350XCW and '12 500XCW at a KTM demo ride, plus the '13 350EXC-W I now own.
The 500XCW I test rode ran perfectly like an FI bike should. I had my '13 350 desmogged by the dealer and re-mapped with the unrestricted "Euro" map. It runs perfectly. If I could think of a word better than perfect, I would use it. I wouldn't plug in an aftermarket tuner at this point if you paid me. It runs better than the '12 350XCW I demo'd. Originally, you couldn't re-flash the ECU's and the aftermarket tuners made sense. Now that your KTM dealer can unrestrict them, I think that is the way to go. If it was my bike, I would get a dealer to re-flash it and take the aftermarket tuner out as a baseline and then see if you need any changes. You will love it once sorted.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #3059
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,725
New Years Day 100 in Florida

Happy New Year to all you 5Hunny riders out there...and well everyone else too...

I thought I would post up some vids of our New Years Day 100 ride near Pensacola FL.

Sun was out and temps we in the 70s. 15 of us rode just over 100 miles... almost no pavement.

Just trying out my new Countour. No Music to offend anyone... no commentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5yD...=youtube_gdata

Atomic Wedge ... the bike has some minor teething problems but this scoot is awesome. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #3060
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:

Garrett
Yea been out once a week for the last 3 weeks. I think I'll go 45 min inland and ride the Ocala National Forest tomorrow or Fri. I do enjoy seeing everyone pix. Here is one from my last ride. Wandering Wiregrass Trail - south ONF.

The snow pix are make me go . Wonder how much it's like sand? I would guess a whole lot of .

Typical winter swamp pix.

And Vic that vid looks like Georgia . I'm shootin for Tree Man. Ever done it?