randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
Damn, that's pretty crummy looking.

So, how do you clean it and how long did it take to get that dirty
and is this on regular paved roads?

Defeats the hell outta the Hi Viz when it's like that, huh?
first thing ya do is when you get it new, treat it with Scotchguard, that way dirt won't stick as deeply

I wash mine in my jacquzzi, fill it up with lukewarm water, that the armor out of my gear, toss it all in , I put an oz of HE launtry detergent in and turn the jets on, let it run for a half hour or until the suds start overflowing on the floor , then take the gear out and hang it in the shower where I rinse off withe hand held showerhead

my Kilmanjaro is 5 years old about 50,000 miles, still fairly clean, been washed twice

my Aerostitch, I never Scotchguarded first and it will never be this clean again
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #32
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..

Oddometer: 1,116
Good advice, thanks.

My choice, IF I get a jacket (price and sizing issues) MAY also depend on what I can find
that FITS me.
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #33
guiri OP

Well, I just spoke to the guy that I'm buying the bike from and although I knew what he had on it, wasn't sure how it was setup.

Anyway, he's got LED lights on the luggage and they ARE on all the time. The helmet I'm getting (IF it's comfortable for me) has an LED light in the back and I WILL have plenty of lights in the front so I guess Hi Viz or not, I'm good to go on the visibility thing meaning that I now have a few more buying options.

Sweet!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #34
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Moving thru traffic

Quote:
???

Thanks
Read it somewhere, it has something to do about not being part of the background view.

All things moving at the same speed, in the same direction become part of the background visually. Part of the reason that people tend to say that they looked but didn't see the motorcycle, it just blended with the background and being smaller than the vehicles around it simply disappeared.

So ... if you are moving at a different angle, or rate of speed from ( I like 5-10k faster than the flow ) you have a better chance of being seen. Ever look at something in wide view and you only noticed the animal when it moved... kinda the same thing

Someone is going to have a more detailed / better explanation.. But that's my 2
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #35
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578

NoVa Rider screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 09:47 AM
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #36
guiri OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
Read it somewhere, it has something to do about not being part of the background view.

All things moving at the same speed, in the same direction become part of the background visually. Part of the reason that people tend to say that they looked but didn't see the motorcycle, it just blended with the background and being smaller than the vehicles around it simply disappeared.

So ... if you are moving at a different angle, or rate of speed from ( I like 5-10k faster than the flow ) you have a better chance of being seen. Ever look at something in wide view and you only noticed the animal when it moved... kinda the same thing

Someone is going to have a more detailed / better explanation.. But that's my 2
No need, I got it and it makes sense. Also, someone else responded to it earlier but it's like leaving yourself messages on the fridge or something.

If they're there too long or you put too many, you wind up not seeing them or ignoring them.

My memory sucks so I send myself emails as reminders and guess what, I do it so often that finally I ignore or forget half of them.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
I have gone through a couple of Toumaster Transition Hi Viz coats and they worked well for a while. Faded and dirty but i washed them a couple of times. Since i started using a HiViz helmet i find i get cut off less but there is no substitute for keeping your eyes open.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
guiri OP

Yep, I learned that years ago when reading bike magazines...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #39
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Balance safety and what you like. Hi-Viz will be safer but only if you are willing to wear it. Some folks just can't bring themselves to do so. Personally I don't have Hi-Viz in my jacket but I do have an extremely Hi-Viz reflective vest I wear when commuting or riding in busy traffic.

The brighter the better.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #40
Boats313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I got a Tourmaster Transition 2 this black friday from cycle gear and have ran it through the rain a couple of times now - no issues. It's main thing is having vent scoops which open via zippers, but the zippers are protected when closed. Here's hoping it stays waterproof.
I have the Transition 3, almost the same jacket. To be fair I have been in a couple of storms that I wouldn't go out in again, mostly high winds on bridges combined with a heavy rain.
The first time the water came in the main zipper, maybe I didn't have the flap over the right way and maybe some came in the neck, but I was wet from neck to nuts right down the middle and a little on the back.

The next time it came in the main zipper and the shoulder/arm vents. On days where the rain isn't as bad it does good. I used a neck gaiter a few times which seemed to keep the water out of the neck.

As far as the hi-vis, I have watched people all of a sudden notice me as they try to switch lanes into me or pull out in front of me. Who knows if a regular color would have had the same results, "Loud colors save lives".

Boats313 screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 08:03 PM Reason: Correction
Boats313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
guiri OP

Oh, I definitely think it helps but still, the best way to make a decision is to ask people with experience.

The web is awesome for that :)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #42
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Good advice, thanks.

My choice, IF I get a jacket (price and sizing issues) MAY also depend on what I can find
that FITS me.
did I see somewhere your looking for 5xl ? Kilmanjaros are sized up to 4xl, I know that JR Ballistic has larger sizes and maybe they've improved but they still get no recomendation from me, I had JR ballistic about 9 years ago, never agian, stitching pulled apart, they were replaced under warranty, but the replacements did the same thing and the replacements did the same thing again, I gave up and turned to First Gear, but I'm only a 3xl jacket (2xl pant)

I'd call Aerostitch, see if they can custom something for you
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #43
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
If you want to really increase your visibility, get some good, bright auxiliary lights.
This. (See avatar.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #44
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Personally, I went with a hi-viz vest, instead of jacket. That way I can take it off when not on the bike, such as being in stores or restaurants etc.. I don't want to be as noticeable off the bike as I am on. To each their own.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #45
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Black and grey are hard to see because they blend in with shadows, and cages too much. There are large numbers of gray/silver/black vehicles of all types out there. Pavement is gray concrete or black asphalt. Lot's of us like black/gray but I think it is one more thing that makes us less visible on our already hard to see bikes. Hi-Viz it is for me. It's all personal preference of course but I prefer the cards be stacked a little more in my favor. When you drive your car, which is easier for you to see even given our hightened awareness of bikes on the road?
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote