Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_Jumper View Post
The Trans-Taiga Road runs 400+ east from the James Bay Rd thru extremely remove Quebec to end at the Caniapiscau Reservoir.
There is a large blank spot on the map between the end of the Trans-Taiga Rd and Schefferville.

Enuf said...

I rode the Taiga to the very end.
Just looking at that "large blank spot" was enough for me......

joe a screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 06:35 AM
joe a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #17
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdream View Post
Well, I thought of getting through to the NWT until Norman Wells, which would be the Canol Heritage Trail.
I backpacked it for 222 miles from the Yukon border to Norman Wells years ago. Wasn't a place for a motorcycle. Too many significant obstacles.

Nevertheless, some folks are talking about trying it sometime on motorcycles.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I backpacked it for 222 miles from the Yukon border to Norman Wells years ago. Wasn't a place for a motorcycle. Too many significant obstacles.

Nevertheless, some folks are talking about trying it sometime on motorcycles.

For those of us who know little about the road, do we get a world class ri... trip report on it from you?

I like impossible, but on a small scale. We get into ugly stuff on dirt bikes and that's when the fun starts.

I also agree with Darien Gap.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #19
castroses
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
Last summer we get stooped from going to Canol road! Plan was to ride from Ross river to Norman Wells! Pickup truck died on a start day! Plan was to get bikes to Ross river from NY on a pick up truck. It took as one week to get another car and it was too late to go. It was Aug 10 Still looking for riding partners and still willing to go there!

AND it DIDN"T occur to you just to ride the whole way? Transporting your adventure bike to the start of your adventure by car? = FAIL in my book!
castroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 416
Canning Stock Route

What about the Canning Stock Route?

Yes, it's been done before, but based on that report, it should still be quite a challenge requiring 'the right planning'.

Quote:
Where are those roads you would call "impossible" to ride on a Motorbike, but at the right time, with the right planning, the right people, the right equipment and a portion of luck could still be possible.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
3) Bering Sea Crossing (Alaska to Russia)

Actually that's not a road, it's a sea, that might freeze up in the winter. I'm sure eventually someone is crazy enough to ride it, and either succeed or die trying (and if I had to put money on it, I'd unfortunately bet on #2).
R1 sjaak is doing this ride

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by castroses View Post
AND it DIDN"T occur to you just to ride the whole way? Transporting your adventure bike to the start of your adventure by car? = FAIL in my book!
Spending couple of weeks to get to Canol rd from NY, on a 200cc bikes was not a option! And also I hate pavement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For Canol trail only very light bike can be used! Max 250cc! Couple major river crosings, lots of wet muddy places!!!! only way to make it happend is to plan, plan and plan!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Here is an obscure one. Crest iron road/trail Yukon. Start at Mayo Yukon and head north on the amerada / proctor / wind valley road. Three names same road. Original road went to Eagle plains Yukon. Construction began in 59 to bring supplies to drilling rigs in Eagle plains.
From hungary creek west to the dempster was the winter road part. The access trail/road for crest iron starts here and goes east. This road was put 1961 to bring supplies to geologists who where surveying and accessing the site of north americas largest iron ore deposits. Road abandoned four years later.
A couple years later a winter road was punched in to fairchild lake as well as well as some connector winter roads for siesmic lines north of there as well.
Chevron resources is the minersl rights owners. There is an abandoned camp at crest iron with a huge fuel tank. About 200 fuel barrels and some buildings on site.
There are two major rivers to cross to get there. The bonnet plume and the wind river. Location is about 225 klics north east of Mayo Yukon and about 550 to 600 kilimeters of road/trail. A couple of google images pictures.
And there is another smaller river to cross. The snake.

morerpmfred screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 10:50 PM Reason: Jonny butter fingers speeeling mistakes
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #24
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Downtown Damascus, Syria.............. ?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Thanks for posting that, it was a good read.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #26
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
See it that way: Some people get attracted by a nice beach or a great bar. If somebody asks you for a nice bar (on a nice beach *g*), do you ask back if he wants to proove something to himselfe or to someone else? Well at least he also might look for satisfaction
See it this way: 99% of the people who go to the beach just go and have fun and that's it.

On the flip side, 99% of the people who do these "challenges" seem to spent more time self-promoting their conquests than actually doing them. Do they get satisfaction from going, or do they get satisfaction from telling other people that they went?

Of course it doesn't matter in the end, but I think there is something to it.

And I would much rather read the North Korea ride report than yet another we-highwayed-our-asses-to-Alaska ride report.

My vote goes to the first white guy who hires his own little militia to take him to Mogadishu. Now THAT would be a ride report. hahaha.

Witold screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 05:20 PM
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
WillowFiveTwo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
South Waziristan
WillowFiveTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
3) Bering Sea Crossing (Alaska to Russia)

Actually that's not a road, it's a sea, that might freeze up in the winter. I'm sure eventually someone is crazy enough to ride it, and either succeed or die trying (and if I had to put money on it, I'd unfortunately bet on #2).
The thought has actually crossed my simple mind