Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #346
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
I had the smaller carrying rack for hauling a Segway 100#. It was always sturdy enough but I did reinforce the aluminum railings with stronger fasteners, the original stuff was falling apart and the plastic corners were crappy but it did the job. I used it pretty hard.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #347
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,690
Grease guns!

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!

I wasted an hour of life struggling with this defective piece of vile donkey turd, but no amount of struggle will make a defective by design tool work.

Fortunately, Harbor Freight will take tools back without a receipt and let you get another one. I exchanged mine for the one below.

This one is the one you want to get:

Here is some helpful wisdom from the reviews:

Quote:
Grease Gun 101: (EVERYBODY NEEDS TO READ THIS!!!)

Any person that is having problems with these (or nearly any) grease guns is typically having a problem because they do not know how to use a grease gun. It's called IGNORANCE folks, and people everywhere are guilty of it in some form. (People don't know what the heck they are doing, so they just blame the product instead of educating themselves on how to use it.)

The snap coupler on the end of the hose is SUPPOSED to stay on the fitting when you pump grease into the zerk! If it gets "stuck" when you go to remove it from the fitting, it's because the coupler itself is screwed too tightly together to begin with. All grease gun end couplers have a threaded TWO-PIECE body and is supposed to be left a little loose so that the coupler can "snap" onto the zerk and hold on to it when putting grease through it. If you cannot release the coupler from the fitting, unscrew the two halves of the end coupler some to allow the "ramps" inside the coupler to relax some of the pressure on the 3 or 4 internal ramp ears of the coupler.

In addition, the bleeding procedure is simple, but most people don't understand it either. When installing a new grease cartridge into the gun, pull back the plunger and retain it. Remove the plastic end cap from the new grease cartridge and install the cartridge into the gun body. Now remove the metal end seal. Next, screw the body of the gun back to the pump/handle head until it LIGHTLY contacts the rubber seal in the head. That's right, you heard me correctly - DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BODY TO THE PUMP HEAD! I repeat... DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BODY TO THE PUMP HEAD. Especially, DON'T EVER OVERTIGHTEN or cross-thread THE cartridge BODY TO THE CAST ALUMINUM PUMP HEAD! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH folks!!! Now, release the plunger back into the body of the grease gun, and push the plunger rod fully back into the body of the cartridge. If the rod doesn't slide back in easily, rotate the "T" handle of the plunger rod a little and it will uncatch from the inner plunger ram and then it will slide right in. Next, with the grease gun hose over a trash can (or wherever you'd like to expend a little grease waste), pump the gun until grease starts flowing and any trapped air should purge out. Typically 5 to 10 full pumps will do the trick. You will likely hear some trapped AIR purge out as well.

If you aren't getting any grease from the end of the gun, or it doesn't seem to be building pressure once greasing a fitting, unscrew the body of the grease gun just a little bit, say about 1/8 of a turn or so. Now, pull the plunger back out and shove it in a couple of times. This will force grease back up towards the head of the grease gun, and any air that is trapped should seep/weep from around the threads of the body where it screws into the pump head. Now pump the grease gun again, with the coupler NOT snapped onto a zerk fitting, over a garbage can is usually best (as previously described).

With my grease guns, I typically leave the pump head just slightly loose on the cartridge body all of the time. All of my grease guns work flawlessly, and I can guarantee you that I grease more equipment in a day than most of you do in several years.

Folks... just use your heads. Operating a grease gun isn't rocket science. Just simple physics.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #348
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 192
Grease Gun Training

THANKS NUGGETS

I understand the little spring in the tip holding onto the zerk, but did not understand keeping things loose. Also, have lost a bit of grease ( well actually quite a bit over the years) reloading the gun. Appreciate the HOW TO...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #349
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
THANKS NUGGETS

I understand the little spring in the tip holding onto the zerk, but did not understand keeping things loose. Also, have lost a bit of grease ( well actually quite a bit over the years) reloading the gun. Appreciate the HOW TO...
Thanks. To be clear, the grease gun how to is not mine, it came from one of the online reviewers on the HF website.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #350
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
hf

today at hf.. now in my garage

Tool Cart, Five Drawer, 700 lbs. Capacity
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #351
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingbear View Post

Just finished filling mine:

Tool Cart Organization:

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #352
scottie.holmes
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb Pass from Me!!

I have bought many things from Harbor Freight and always pleased with what I get. Tire charger is great, with the addition of a No-Mar tire bar. Not a No-Mar, but it cost less than $85.00 when I got it on sale. Have a set of 3/4" drive sockets with breaker bar, ratchet, and metal case that was $35.00. All is good for me!!
scottie.holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #353
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 933
I have this one, & it works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #354
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,082
Just got the "infrared non-contact thermometer" yesterday -- it's on sale for $34.95, but there's a coupon in the latest moto-mags for $24.95.

Very nice unit, reads up to 968 degrees F (most similar units only read up to 500 degrees F.) Seems accurate enough so far.

This will come in very handy for diagnosing inconsistent mixtures or spark on multi-cylinder engines, roached catalytic converters on cars, tire temps, seeing how warm my cat is, etc.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #355
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
^FWIW, reading the HF coupon disclaimers, among the other 999 entries, is:
"Cannot be used with other discount or coupon or prior purchases after 30 days from original purchase with original receipt".
To me (and you) this means that you can come back within 30 days waving your coupon & receipt, and they'll refund you the difference.
Yes?

It's in their interest, after all - you could just return the item, then buy it with the coupon.

(I have the thermometer, too - but no cat).
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #356
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingbear View Post

I gots that too - good service cart, for sure!
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #357
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Just got the "infrared non-contact thermometer" yesterday -- it's on sale for $34.95, but there's a coupon in the latest moto-mags for $24.95.

Very nice unit, reads up to 968 degrees F (most similar units only read up to 500 degrees F.) Seems accurate enough so far.

This will come in very handy for diagnosing inconsistent mixtures or spark on multi-cylinder engines, roached catalytic converters on cars, tire temps, seeing how warm my cat is, etc.
+1
I Have one that has seen regular use for over a year at work with no problems. Compared it with a Fluke we have also and it works juat as well.
Got my father one for Christmas and he carries it with him and checks his food temp every time he eats. Drives my mother nuts...(they are pushing 80 years old)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #358
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
+1
I Have one that has seen regular use for over a year at work with no problems. Compared it with a Fluke we have also and it works juat as well.
Got my father one for Christmas and he carries it with him and checks his food temp every time he eats. Drives my mother nuts...(they are pushing 80 years old)

I can just imagine the scene as he pulls it out...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #359
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
(I have the thermometer, too - but no cat).
It should work pretty well on dogs, too. You'll have to get pretty close to check nose temperature.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #360
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
I have this one, & it works fine for me.
On my particular one, the plunger was too large to fit into the grease cartridges. Maybe you got lucky. The reviews for it online are awful also.

This tool passes: 10 Piece Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-95853.html