Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #586
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,407
I don't believe a CBX is unreliable as a daily rider. Plenty of them out there being ridden all the time. Heck they built a touring bike on that platform. Why worry about depreciation on the classic when you don't on the new bike? Money for money, the classic bike will still be worth more at the end of X years than the CB1100. It's not like you will beat the crap out of either one. Hell, update some components just keep the originals.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #587
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
Old bike maintenance, especially one with six carbs, is a PITA! I'd much rather have the new CB for the same reasons I bought a '06 Scrambler over a '67 Triumph and a 620i Monster over a overpriced, old Desmo. Better brakes, handling, electronics that work, reliability, fuel injection, no leaks, no dry rotting rubber parts, dry rotted/fading plastic, replacement parts availiblity, aftermarket support...I could go on.
Who cares about the money and depreciation? If I was that worried about it, I would have put it into gold or Apple stock and not something fun with two wheels.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #588
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
I don't believe a CBX is unreliable as a daily rider.
No one said that it was unreliable. But it will require more TLC and attention to things. A LOT more. Especially with the CBX which has a fairly dodgy electrical system and six carbs.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #589
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,725
I'm always interested in hearing or reading about the next somewhat neutral-riding bike coming to America, but consistantly the damn fuel tanks are too small. For some reason they gear the fuel tanks to the stunter crowd it seems. Screw that. Give them a fuel tank option for real riders and I guarantee you'll sell more.

Two different fuel tanks to choose from wouldn't be that difficult to do, and it would really help sell some bikes to larger markets. Kawasaki is becoming infamous for making smaller fuel tanks as well.... it's a trend that needs to stop if they want business.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #590
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Old bike maintenance, especially one with six carbs, is a PITA!
Well ok, dropping the motor forward to work on the carbs would suck...
But it doesn't need to come all the way out! And my Wee wasn't all that much easier for carb work
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #591
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 475
I used a 74 cb 750 as a daily driver for years and it worked fine, once I replaced the points with cdi ( points and condensers being $40 a set ) changed the oil every 1500 miles and had all 4 carbs rebuilt, replaced the tires, shocks, fork seals, swing arm bushings, rebuilt the front caliper and cleaned every ground on the bike. All in all I was about 3 grand into the bike to get it to a point it would run and charge for daily use. Now I loved that bike but I believe that I had about 5 amps to spare on the charging (so no glove Warmers or GPS plugs for me) and when it was my primary transport I had to do a full tune up pretty much once a month (oil, valves, clean plugs, grease bushings) which now that I have a family would be harder to find time for.

Is it worth 7 grand for 400 extra ccs and no carbs? Probably if you throw in the improved fuel efficiency and longer maintenance intervals.

I can't wait for you guys to buy one and get tired of it in a few years so I can take it offa your hands...
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #592
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Well ok, dropping the motor forward to work on the carbs would suck...
But it doesn't need to come all the way out! And my Wee wasn't all that much easier for carb work
I hate to be blunt, but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Wees are fuel-injected for chrissakes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #593
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I hate to be blunt, but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Wees are fuel-injected for chrissakes.

- Mark
Opps
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #594
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark

well ya gotta admit, that would tend to complicate any carb work...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #595
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,027
saw this pic...

As seen in Australia, yesterday, on a dealer's floor...
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #596
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post

As seen in Australia, yesterday, on a dealer's floor...
You saw a pic of a ?
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #597
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm always interested in hearing or reading about the next somewhat neutral-riding bike coming to America, but consistantly the damn fuel tanks are too small. For some reason they gear the fuel tanks to the stunter crowd it seems. Screw that. Give them a fuel tank option for real riders and I guarantee you'll sell more.

Two different fuel tanks to choose from wouldn't be that difficult to do, and it would really help sell some bikes to larger markets. Kawasaki is becoming infamous for making smaller fuel tanks as well.... it's a trend that needs to stop if they want business.

I'm waiting to see some real world mpg figures. As long as it has a range of around 200 miles I will be fine with the tiny tank.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #598
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,027
The picture was posted on another forum, by an Australian rider, who was also interested in the CB, and posted a pic of what he saw. Already being sold in Australia.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #599
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
Does anybody have any pictures to share of the CB1100 with saddlebags or a windsheild? I'm so excited to see this bike in 48 hours at the Washington DC show! I have no logical explaination as to why this thing has got me so hyped...
I've read that taller riders felt cramped on this bike. That's perfect, I'm 5'7"!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #600
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Try reading the thread....

There's some Hepco & Becker bags I posted on pg. 28.
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote