Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #3136
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Anyone have any info on this?

That thing is awesome!
A one off custom based on an old bus, probably someone's collage football tailgating rig. Lots of old RVs around here painted in Auburn, Alabama, or UGA colors that only roll to and from home-games.

Anyone recognize the emblem on the side?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #3137
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post

Cool concept! It would be even cooler as a stationary concrete self contained unit.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #3138
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
^ I thought it was a folding hair dryer at first.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #3139
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
I built this for a French couple traveling the world a couple years ago.

Full story HERE
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #3140
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Two questions for you motor home zealots:

1. Internet aces. I'm thinking about picking up a small Class B for ski bumming and dirt bike riding in the states. I would like Internet in the evenings but will be dry camping most times away from any wifi. Sooooooo how is internet accessed from a motorhome (with no cell phone contracts)? Is it possible to do without yearly contracts as I'm planning on being in the motorhome for 3-4 months per year?

2. I would like to carry my dirt bike on the rear bumper. Has anybody seen any ideas how to carry one on the bumper but protected from the elements?

Thanks in advance.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #3141
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

1. Internet aces. I'm thinking about picking up a small Class B for ski bumming and dirt bike riding in the states. I would like Internet in the evenings but will be dry camping most times away from any wifi. Sooooooo how is internet accessed from a motorhome (with no cell phone contracts)? Is it possible to do without yearly contracts as I'm planning on being in the motorhome for 3-4 months per year?

Technically the sat Internet people usually won't allow you to have a sat Internet setup with an RV because they claim the things are tough to aim and there are legal requirements. When I need to go to sat Internet I plan to go with these people -
http://www.MobileInternetSatellite.com . After online testing they will certify you as being a qualified installer, which strikes me as being a sane approach.

I say "usually". There are some early two way sat setups out there but they are bloody expensive.

Before you go that route however you might double check that there is no cellular service. I work in the remote parts of the southern Texas desert and have often been 40 miles from the closest US store and 10 miles from the border. Even there you can usually get a cell signal if you know the tricks. Basically everyone has a Wilson cell booster (I have a directional 115 volt one for an office mounted on top of a collapsible mast) and out here AT&T is the only game in town.

Quote:
2. I would like to carry my dirt bike on the rear bumper. Has anybody seen any ideas how to carry one on the bumper but protected from the elements?

Thanks in advance.

There are several lifts and carriers out there of various qualities. A tarp is about the best solution that I have ever seen for keeping the dirt off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #3142
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,079
Quote:

ftb, I started a thread about this a while ago. I didn't reach any real conclusion though. Might see something that will help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846001

If you figure it out will ya let me know?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #3143
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Thank you for the link hppyfngy. That thread was both revealing and sad. I had no idea in a country packed with as many motorhomes that we have really no wealth of choices for internet access other than leeching from Starbucks or through cell phone contracts.

PirateJohn - Since i will only be in the states 3-4 months per year I was trying to get around without a yearly cell phone contract. Right now I'm getting together a few Terrabytes of movies N stuff to keep me entertained in the evening since internet access may be difficult. Now I need to find if any carriers have pay as you go options for Cell service.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:07 PM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #3144
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Thank you for the link hppyfngy. That thread was both revealing and sad. I had no idea in a country packed with as many motorhomes that we have really no wealth of choices for internet access other than leeching from Starbucks or through cell phone contracts.

PirateJohn - Since i will only be in the states 3-4 months per year I was trying to get around without a yearly cell phone contract. Right now I'm getting together a few Terrabytes of movies N stuff to keep me entertained in the evening since internet access may be difficult. Now I need to find if any carriers have pay as you go options for Cell service.

There are several smaller carriers that will offer a month to month contract on an Internet service. I had a contract with Cricket for a USB device but they don't have any signal out in the desert regions where I have been working so I had to go to AT&T, which is pretty pricey. I think that AT&T also offers a month to month USB device but be careful - some of these services make it difficult to impossible on a short-term basis and they manage to stick you with extra months.

I was chatting with the folks that have the company whose link I sent to you and they told me that satellite service for RVers has practically died this year. Reasons? The US economy has made it difficult for retirees to travel (very sad), and that more and more RV parks are offering wireless. That, and cellular Internet is becoming more and more available.

Personally, I haven't been on a site that didn't have cellular Internet since last Fall, and at that time I was 40 miles down a dirt road from any grocery store, gas station, or anything except maybe a hunting lodge or two.

When I go into town I take my iPhone and iPad and go somewhere that has Internet and download as much as I can.

If you want to watch movies and television consider getting a Dish satellite system. $250 for the receiver, about $100 for an antenna on a tripod. They do offer a month to month service for RVers.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #3145
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
A one off custom based on an old bus, probably someone's collage football tailgating rig. Lots of old RVs around here painted in Auburn, Alabama, or UGA colors that only roll to and from home-games.

Anyone recognize the emblem on the side?
I think it means it is an Autobot.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #3146
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
I built this for a French couple traveling the world a couple years ago.

Full story HERE
Thank you for including the link to the full story. My OCD would have driven me nuts trying to figure out why the hell they mounted the camper backwards.

For those that didn't click on the link, it is mounted backwards to keep the door out of the dust when traveling long miles on dusty roads.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #3147
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,313
I would've thought they did it so they could tilt the cab for maintenance on the engine.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #3148
Sancho Panza
Super Black Eagle

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejohn View Post
holy cow! Looks like a work of art!

awesome!!!!
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #3149
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
My OCD would have driven me nuts trying to figure out why the hell they mounted the camper backwards.

For those that didn't click on the link, it is mounted backwards to keep the door out of the dust when traveling long miles on dusty roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
I would've thought they did it so they could tilt the cab for maintenance on the engine.

hmmmm.....maybe both!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #3150
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
...Or because it looks like it wouldn't clear the cab without raising it up.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: