User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.21 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #1096
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,413
They have an example of a Curtiss trailer being pulled by a woody at the Glen Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport NY. He even patented a 5th wheel hitch using a car tire and rim to cushion the hitch connection between the car and trailer.
Looking forward to seeing what happens to your new truck.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #1097
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post

That shot is taken in the parking lot at the Petersen Automotive Museum. An interesting bit of history. I'll get the details the next time I'm down there.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #1098
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

I hate to get so far off the original subject, but the roof lines of that truck look just like an upside down boat. I always thought that an old boat hull flipped like that would make for a good aerodynamic clamshell type bike hauler. I'm sure it would look quite hillbilly but it wouldn't create such a huge sucking vortex like most trailers do. Lower towing MPGs should be marginal.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #1099
natedog39 OP
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I hate to get so far off the original subject, but the roof lines of that truck look just like an upside down boat. I always thought that an old boat hull flipped like that would make for a good aerodynamic clamshell type bike hauler. I'm sure it would look quite hillbilly but it wouldn't create such a huge sucking vortex like most trailers do. Lower towing MPGs should be marginal.
Which truck, the REO?

I've been fascinated with the Areocar ever since I first laid eyes on the photos so talk it up all you want.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #1100
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Which truck, the REO?

I've been fascinated with the Areocar ever since I first laid eyes on the photos so talk it up all you want.
Yes, I meant the REO. I wish I could find the link to an older NASA study where they used a 70's era Econoline to try different body shapes. The shape of that REO is pretty much was what they came up with for the best truck aerodynamics.
That shape with a really rounded front would make the perfect trailer or truck shape. I bet towing a light one could even up the MPGs of a regular motorhome.
Thanks for encouraging the thread highjack. If anyone here could do something like that it would be you.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #1101
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:

I remeber a few details about that. The trailer has a helper engine to help push the rig over the hills. I have no idea how they ever got it to work in the day.

I saw it in the same place, Peterson in LA many years ago.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #1102
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
"This ultra-streamline Reo tractor was specially built to tow a Curtiss Aerocar, on of the earliest production fifth-wheel trailers. Custom built for Dr. Hubert Eaton of the Forest Lawn Memorial Parks, its innovative cab-forward aluminium and leatherette body was constructed by Standard Carriage Works of Low Angeles, a coachbuilder that specialized in bodies for trucks and other commercial vehicles. It featured a large storage area, sleeping quarters for the driver, and a separate four-cylinder engine for auxiliary power. A Williams air-brake an dual rear-wheels accommodate the permanently attached 10,000 pound trailer. First equipped with a flat-12 White truck engine, the Reo tractor was fitted with a 300-horsepower Cummins 6-cylinder diesel in 1953 when the original engine wore out after more than 250,000 miles of use.

The luxurious and expensive Aerocar trailer was built by Curtiss of Coral Gables, Florida, a firm also known for motorcycles and pioneering aircraft. Nicknamed "Vagabond" by Dr. Eaton, it was outfitted for hunting excursions and to transport company executives on trips to inspect various real-estate holdings. Special features include a self-contained restroom and kitchen, comfortable seating for eight, cup holders, and an observation deck equipped with a speedometer, compass, and intercom for communication with the driver. Though currently set up for day travel, the interior can be modified to sleep up to six passengers. The dramatically styled rig was in regular use until retired by Forest Lawn Memorial Parks in 1991 Peterson Automotive Museum."
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #1103
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,817
WOW...it amazes me that they were still using such a rare and collectable vehicle up into the 90's!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1104
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,813
been web searching for some examples of the motorcycles from that company with no luck. has anyone else tried? curious what designs they had going on. plenty of plane examples.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #1105
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
been web searching for some examples of the motorcycles from that company with no luck. has anyone else tried? curious what designs they had going on. plenty of plane examples.
Maybe there is a different Google in Battery Park than Queens but I googled Curtiss Motorcycles and got a 399,000 hits. Many being good ones.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #1106
Cdaledude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Maybe there is a different Google in Battery Park than Queens but I googled Curtiss Motorcycles and got a 399,000 hits. Many being good ones.
Glenn Curtiss was a very famous early aviator and contemporary of the wright brothers. They competed against each other for thus very first military aircraft. He was also famed for being a fearless daredevil on his motorcycles!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #1107
SafetyThird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
WOW...it amazes me that they were still using such a rare and collectable vehicle up into the 90's!
I'd rather see it wrapped around a tree in a year than parked forever.

Some things are meant to be used, and if I had it, I'd use it.
SafetyThird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #1108
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Not the greatest website, but a fantastic museum. It's an hour from my place and I've gone there many times.
http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #1109
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdaledude View Post
Glenn Curtiss was a very famous early aviator and contemporary of the wright brothers. They competed against each other for thus very first military aircraft. He was also famed for being a fearless daredevil on his motorcycles!
Yeah, I was busting Roy's balls.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #1110
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
If youare a fan of American Pickers on tv about a couple of guys who also happen to be motorcycle enthusiasts, who drive around the country looking for what they call "rusty gold" for their retail stores.

Anyway one episode featured a Curtis V twin engine that they had found from the early 1900's. They bought it for around 3 grand and had it appraisedat around 9 grand! And this was a rusty engine that hadn't run in probably 50 years.

This past summer I was at Wheels Through Time which has been featured on the show a couple of times. When there I struck up a conversation with Dale the owner, telling him I enjoyed seeing him on the show and asked if he bought that engine. He said, no, those guys got big money for it something like 15 grand, close to twice the appraised value.

It is amazing what people will pay for rusty gold.

Back to Dr. Frankenstien's ungodly creation.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: