Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
60 vs 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
60s have many reported failures or just broken off antenna. 76 has identical function without the issues. We just had a couple 60s on Mex2Can and one started having power switch problems.

Interesting that two units with such similar features but different form would have a notable difference in reliability. While I have used a 76, I could never come to terms with the 'form'. No doubt one can get used to it but I really like to be able to see the screen while pushing buttons. How many other consumer electronics put the controls on the top? I am seeing a 78 as my best option in the future but because of the layout, I am not in any hurry to get there.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #32
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Interesting that two units with such similar features but different form would have a notable difference in reliability. While I have used a 76, I could never come to terms with the 'form'. No doubt one can get used to it but I really like to be able to see the screen while pushing buttons. How many other consumer electronics put the controls on the top? I am seeing a 78 as my best option in the future but because of the layout, I am not in any hurry to get there.

Bruce
I have a 60CX and a 78S and have tried both now. I have since got my repaired 60CSX from Garmin, and yes it was replaced with a refurb that works fine.

The functions between the two are almost identical but the power plug is the real clincher. the plug on the 60 is the mini USB and the plug on the 78 is the Garmin 4 pin style which is waterproof, tough, simple and solid when plugged-in.

The 60 needs that four pin connector for the best reliability for Dualsport riding in my opinion. The 78 has been great but I recently switched back because I bought the topo by download for the 60 and cannot transfer it to the 78.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #33
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFA View Post
I have a 60CX and a 78S and have tried both now. I have since got my repaired 60CSX from Garmin, and yes it was replaced with a refurb that works fine.

The functions between the two are almost identical but the power plug is the real clincher. the plug on the 60 is the mini USB and the plug on the 78 is the Garmin 4 pin style which is waterproof, tough, simple and solid when plugged-in.

The 60 needs that four pin connector for the best reliability for Dualsport riding in my opinion. The 78 has been great but I recently switched back because I bought the topo by download for the 60 and cannot transfer it to the 78.

I also have a 60cx, and it's power plug is the round four pin connector.

There are two water covers on the back of the unit. The smaller cover is for the USB connector. The larger cover (on the right, if you are holding the unit with its back to you) is the round 4-pin connector.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFA View Post

The 60 needs that four pin connector for the best reliability for Dualsport riding in my opinion.
As was said, OFA either it's not a 60 (62 possibly?) or you missed the big round heavy duty power/data plug on the back of your 60s!

The 62 is mini USB or battery only.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #35
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
BryceB has also had 1 or 2 60csx models fail because of rain too. He's the only one I know personally that has had issues.

I've got one myself, and it certainly gets wet. Its rated as IPX7 so I surely expect it to stay dry inside.

I wonder in any of these cases was the USB port being used for power instead of the 4 prong plug? Also were the rubber covers over these ports closed if they weren't being used?
Mine have only been powered by the round 4prong connector. It jst seems like tht seal drys up or te bike rattles it lose enough and water gets in. One of mine revived moslty (a button ir 2 didnt work right) and they replaced it under warranty The 2nd time, i did an out of warranty replacement, but I'm not sure it's going to hold up.

I tried to replace it with an Oregon 400t, but it sucks for bikes. We use it for geocaching and boyscout stuff.

Maybe a I'll ask for a new one for my birthday.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
As was said, OFA either it's not a 60 (62 possibly?) or you missed the big round heavy duty power/data plug on the back of your 60s!

The 62 is mini USB or battery only.

Bruce
Yes Bruce. You are correct. I was too lazy to go look at the GPS to see the model. It is a 62s and has no four prong just a mini USB.