Oddometer: 6,231
Nice job so far on the wheel!
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #197
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Thanks blaster! So here are a bunch of short clips covering truing, I compiled them into one long one but youtube didn't like it. Also here is my nice new Renazco seat.

Photobucket

This is one method to true a rim/hub, I ask that if you do not like it or know a better way please keep it to yourself unless you are a professional. I have received many anecdotal tales on what to do, or "how I do it". Please post a series to illustrate the error of my ways.

PS I also say alright a lot It was supposed to be my edit point but after youtube denied my compiled video I didn't edit them anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEzWCYD6dco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0meS9YQfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGlOh3fqzCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrbI9lI5yTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpXT39_MTUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLWXJDwbuw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lycSLBETjsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgFTIB2hx0
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #198
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I am currently working on the last two parts of the lacing/truing series, they just have to render and I will post them up. In the mean time I have been putting the rear of the bike back together and reworking a few things.

I have been working on my final product for the mud guard, it is a fairly labor intensive process for me as I have to fit, then modify, then re-fit etc... I am now doing the last couple layers of resin to get a nice finish and then I will build a mold of this so that I can make more in the future.

Photobucket

In the mean time I have a flat piece curing that I will use as a license plate bracket (piggy backing off of Erlings idea). I am using a piece of 1 inch acrylic as top piece for the press and after letting it sit over night with about 40lbs on top I pulled the weight and am shining a heat lamp through it to speed up the curing process. I really like having the acrylic sheet to look through.

Photobucket
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #199
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
I am currently working on the last two parts of the lacing/truing series, they just have to render and I will post them up. In the mean time I have been putting the rear of the bike back together and reworking a few things.

I have been working on my final product for the mud guard, it is a fairly labor intensive process for me as I have to fit, then modify, then re-fit etc... I am now doing the last couple layers of resin to get a nice finish and then I will build a mold of this so that I can make more in the future.

In the mean time I have a flat piece curing that I will use as a license plate bracket (piggy backing off of Erlings idea). I am using a piece of 1 inch acrylic as top piece for the press and after letting it sit over night with about 40lbs on top I pulled the weight and am shining a heat lamp through it to speed up the curing process. I really like having the acrylic sheet to look through.

I think that acrylic adds enough weight.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #200
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

The little things

It is sometimes the little things that add up. This is purely a cosmetic fix and nothing more. But if we are shaving weight this knocked off a lb

From the stock, super safety license plate bracket.

Photobucket

To a very dangerous non-reflective piece of CF.

Photobucket
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #201
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It is sometimes the little things that add up. This is purely a cosmetic fix and nothing more. But if we are shaving weight this knocked off a lb

To a very dangerous non-reflective piece of CF.

Nice.... Me like.

Erling
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #202
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Mud guard

This piece is going to MotoRiley for winning the raffle. I made a mold of the piece but want to practice some vacuum bagging for further production as I had many issues with making this one that I want to overcome.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #203
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This piece is going to MotoRiley for winning the raffle. I made a mold of the piece but want to practice some vacuum bagging for further production as I had many issues with making this one that I want to overcome.

A thing of beauty.... I'm sure MR will appreciate your work.

Erling
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #204
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

A royal pain in my that is what it was. I had to rework this piece 4 times due to that air bubble and my novice mistakes. I am going to run mine and let MotoRiley destroy his and see how they hold up before I make any more. It will be 3 months of testing so I figure that will be a good platform to figure out what works and what doesn't.

That and I want to vacuum bag the next one, or come up with a better method to lay it up. I may have to run with many cutouts to eliminate pulling as the resin cured as well as minimize airpockets. I may not use carboard as well, that seemed to add to the problems. I figure if I run 5 sheets and 6-7 in the middle and on the mounting tabs that should be fine and eliminate the need of the cardboard.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #205
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A royal pain in my that is what it was. I had to rework this piece 4 times due to that air bubble and my novice mistakes. I am going to run mine and let MotoRiley destroy his and see how they hold up before I make any more. It will be 3 months of testing so I figure that will be a good platform to figure out what works and what doesn't.

That and I want to vacuum bag the next one, or come up with a better method to lay it up. I may have to run with many cutouts to eliminate pulling as the resin cured as well as minimize airpockets. I may not use carboard as well, that seemed to add to the problems. I figure if I run 5 sheets and 6-7 in the middle and on the mounting tabs that should be fine and eliminate the need of the cardboard.
Something to consider..... forgo the cardboard...... then in the mould you have just made.... lay down an inch thick layer of epoxy clay. Then use that as a mechanical " other side" and then after trimming the vertical sides to the future layup thickness..... then just lay up the matrix in the mould, then layup the epoxy piece on the other side, effectively holding the layup in place, and squeezing out excessive resin in the process.

Erling
Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #206
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Good idea, now should I just make this clay myself or source something premade? Further down the rabbit hole I go Alice!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #207
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good idea, now should I just make this clay myself or source something premade? Further down the rabbit hole I go Alice!
It is pricy to buy, but PC sells it, which is best quality. I make my own, simply mixing the plaster you use to set broken arms with..... Raid your med place, or scram to your local hobby lobby, and get a gallon for about $7. Mix the epoxy as normal, then degass it....pour it into a big bucket, and slowly stir in the plaster. You need to mix it on the hard side, because as it begins to set, teps elevates, and it begins to run a bit. I mix mine to the consistency of play dough. You want to sand the outside, after its done, and lay up a few layers of either glass or cf, to add strength. I have a few videos floating on photobucket. You can access then through my FB page. Look for " advanced mould making" from Thumpertalk.com. I will do anything to avoid vacuum bagging, thus saving that to the last resort. The above mentioned method will suit you fine.

Erling
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #208
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Sounds great! I will knock this out when I get back in May for 3 weeks.

Besides that I just wanted to tell everyone if you are looking for anything F800 related definitely look into Renazco Racing!

I have dealt with them for my seat and a few other items and gee whiz they go the extra mile!!!! That and their prices haven't been able to be be beat by anyone for the items I am looking at.!

Seats
http://www.renazco.com/

Parts
http://www.renazcoracing.com/

runnin4melife screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 04:05 PM
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #209
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds great! I will knock this out when I get back in May for 3 weeks.

Besides that I just wanted to tell everyone if you are looking for anything F800 related definitely look into Renazco Racing!

I have dealt with them for my seat and a few other items and gee whiz they go the extra mile!!!! That and their prices haven't been able to be be beat by anyone for the items I am looking at.!

Seats
http://www.renazco.com/

Parts
http://www.renazcoracing.com/
I second that statement.....

Erling
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #210
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Done for the winter!

Well I finished almost everything on the bike today, I drove it yesterday and wanted to bleed the brakes again and was wondering why it was squirrely on the road, 10-15 PSI in both tires... Fixed that, mounted my mud guard and took it for another quick spin. Everything looks good to go. I have a late arrival coming early next week, a scotts steering damper plus risers from Renazco Racing. This will conclude the bike for now, or at least till late summer. Oh yeah I am waiting on some new rubber for the new rim... that might not make it in time though (will swap out old TKC to the new rim in that case).