Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #91
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
10 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Well, yes but 4# is less than 14#, ergo far superior!Plus then you can carry 10# of something else, which again is superior. Funny! Just like the shot a few ago about $40 Colemans. FWIW, my $30 Coleman has never leaked a drop nor had some backsplash water inflitration because the tub doesn't go up far enough on the sidewall mesh.
From what I have seen, most of you could stoip eating for a day and lose that ten pounds; thne you could carry a 14 lb. tent like mine...
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #92
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
In short, you do get for what you pay for. It is no fun waking up in a puddle of water. I have seen even moderatly priced tents tear apart in a gnarly wind storm.

3 season tent= summer fall spring ( winter too but no snow) it will have lots of mesh and somewhat good venting.
4 season tent= winter snow and fall. Can withstand many feet of snow on top of it. Winds up to 70mph ( think Mt Everest) and will cost at least 2X that of a high quality 3 season tent

1person tent= just you, nothing else.
2person tent= you want gear, or 2 people who don't mind cuddling
3 person tent= 2 people plus gear

If you will be camping in the desert, try and find a tent with minimal mesh that won't zip up, blowing sand comes right on it though the mesh. I woke up in Death Valley with sand in my mouth and eyes.

I myself don't like to use stakes because you can only use them effectivly in a few kinds of places. The sand can't be to soft or to hard, ground has to be almost perfect in order for stakes to work right. I tie about 24" of cord on each tie down of the tent, this lets me tie the tent to anything. The bike, rocks, trees, bushes, logs, small animals. But with that being said I carry 4 stakes that came with the tent with me, just in case I run into the perfect ground.

The only thing I use the vestibule for is boots, anything else left out there will get muddy if it rains or filled with sand if its windy.

Another thing that I don't understand is the "motorcycle" tent with the little covered parking spot. These bikes are built to drive down the freeway in all kinds of weather going 65mph, why are people scared to leave them out over night?

Now DISCUSS
The "garage" is perfect for me. My skin is about as white as it gets. Due to multiple skin cancers the need to remain clear of UV radiation is imperative. I can set up and enjoy the great outdoors in my own camp kitchen, lounge, shop, bar, shaded porch, etc. I'm still looking for the elusive pre-owned moto tent in excellent to un-used condition for oh, say half price. I the "deal" doesn't present its self prior to next camping season, I guess I'll have to "spring" for a new one. YMMV
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #93
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoc View Post
From what I have seen, most of you could stoip eating for a day and lose that ten pounds; thne you could carry a 14 lb. tent like mine...
Ha ha, I was talking with a mate about this when we were out walking yesterday. I am 6'2" and he is a shade over 6'7". Neither of us is what you'd call morbidly obese, but neither could be classed as "underweight" either.

We were talking about going really ultralight and the massive spike in cost you get to shed the last few grammes of weight on gear, without sacrificing comfort/durability. We agreed that we could both, if we really wanted, easily shed 10kg (20 pounds) without being dangerously undernourished and then carry whatever the hell we wanted. There's also the fact that as I'm reasonably large/strong, when I'm hiking carrying a 15KG pack, rather than a 12KG one, is no great hardship for me. Similarly, my F800GS doesn't complain about the extra weight when I'm on the bike.

I primarily focus on packing small, rather than just light. A weight carried close to the COG (either on your back or on the back of the bike) feels much lighter than the same weight in a bulky package three times the size. Your agility/handling takes a real hit with larger (sized) loads. Stuff sacks are your friends and ensuring that there is no "Dead Space"* in your luggage helps keep things manageable.

*For example, don't have your saucepan/cooking pot combo 'hollow' and full of air; make use of that space by putting your firelighting kit, head torch, spare t-shirt etc. in there to fill up the space.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #94
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 417
Using this tent and I love it! Got on Amazon for 100$!!!! Set up is so easy and quick than no brainer can do it! I tried 7 tents before this one and none was close to this one!!!! Nemo tent in my opinion is the worst! With plastic clips, try setting them in sandy or muddy conditions!!!! I tried!!! Thanks but no Nemo for me!
http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...bCategory2Id=0

AtlasExp screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 09:24 AM
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #95
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 796
Here's my experience with cheap gear, including a "suisse sport" 20 Deg sleeping bag, and a wally world, Coleman tent.
2 Years ago I went on a weeklong ride with my brother thru CA. He is of the opinion that if you are going to buy something to use, you should always "invest" in the most expensive you can afford. In the long run, if you buy cheap, you will end up replacing it - (yes, one of those guys) I used to be of the opposite train of thought: Read - Cheapass.
We both needed camping gear, so before the trip he bought a $200 Alps tent, a good down sleeping bag and an expensive sleeping pad. I stocked up with the usual cheap crap at Walmart. I shook my head while we were setting up camp the first night quietly balking to myself as he set up all his "camping snob gear" That night I froze my ass off, and woke up with my hips aching from the cheap pad. He slept like a baby. The next night, it rained. I then froze my ass off again, woke up even more sore and wet as well. He, slept like a baby. Warm. Comfy Dry.
We stopped at REI in Reno the third day. I walked out with a new down sleeping bag, a quality inflatable pad and a new Big Agnes tent. That night, I slept like a baby. Warm. Comfy. Dry.
Lesson learned. Buy the best stuff you can comfortably afford. Tents included.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #96
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I've had great luck with a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 person tent I picked up at Next Adventure in Portland OR. They sell last years models usually, and I think mine was actually two years old, new stock variety. It was on sale for about $100 and is a three season tent. Doesn't leak, vents well with no condensation build up inside, packs small, and the poles break down so that they fit in my panniers. I actually used the pannier dimensions when shopping for the tent. If the poles wouldn't fit, I looked at other models. I also bought my sleeping bag, camp stove, mess kit, camp chair, water purification kit, and various other items at Next Adventure (http://nextadventure.net/) Great staff and very helpful. If you don't live in the area, their website lists just about everything they have in store. Really happy with all the gear I've purchased so far.

Cheers,

Bill
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #97
Tim the Enchanter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Here is a pic of my $40.00 Coleman. It's about 15 years old. I replaced one of the poles on it, but other than that, it's been great!

And by the way, it was 24 degrees that night!
Tim the Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #98
Dangeross
Space cowboy!

Oddometer: 100
Wicked

I too saw this tent and will consider this when looking for my next tent.
My current tent I purchased from REI in the close out sale section. Used it this summer and I am happy with it.

A Big Agnes Wyoming Trail SL2 looks like it has all the features you are looking for except the pole length which is 24". I lucked out and found a sample unit on their website for $299.00. the only thing I could find wrong was the color coded tent pole webbing was sewn in the wrong place. I had been looking at the Redverz Series II Expedition tent but did not like the fact it was not free standing. After setting up the Wyoming trail SL2, I think it is going to be just what I wanted. The vestibule is huge. and it is a free standing tent.
Here is the link on the Big Agnes site[/QUOTE]
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #99
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,789
I have no experience with cheapo tents, but I own 4 tents now, all good or at least decent brands:

Tent #1 - 2-man Eureka Alpine Meadows (A-frame with vestibule) was a hand-me-down from brother-in-law, when he decided he needed more room, so he bought a 6-man tent. Rec'd it used 20 years ago, still works perfectly, except Eureka re-strung the elastic cords in the poles under (lifetime) warranty.

Tent #2 - 6-man Sierra Designs dome was a hand-me-down from brother-in-law when he decided he didn't want to camp anymore. Was useful when my boys were young and felt safer inside a tent with mom and dad. Rec'd used 15 years ago, still worked perfectly last time I set it up, which was ~10 years ago. Would be 1st choice for car camping, but I haven't done any car camping for a long time.

Tent #3 - Marmot Swallow 2-man convertible (mesh zips-closed, rated for 4 season use) tent, bought 10 years ago for canoe-camping, for mom and dad once kids wanted their own space.

Tent #4 - Alps Mountaineering Mountaineering Mystique 2.0 Tent: 2-Person 3-Season bought in November, as I was wanting a lighter-weight and shorter-pole tent for camping on the 250. Weighs 4 lbs less than the Marmot, and the poles are shorter. This is a 2-man tent intended for 1-person with room inside for some gear. Got it from Steep and Cheap for $70 + $7 shipping (Retail is $219). Haven't set it up yet. Hopefully it is a decent tent, but if not, I'll be able to sell it on Craigslist for more than I paid.

Since decent quality tents, if well-cared-for, seem to last virtually forever, I'll stick with quality, since my tents seem to last (most of) a lifetime. I am careful to put all my gear away dry and clean.

I still have my first 2 Thermarest pads bought from LL Bean in 1990, and my sleeping bags are 35 and 20 years old, both (as far as I can tell) as good as new. I also have 2 newer Thermarests that are 4" narrower and 1/2" thinner, for when space is at a premium.

jon_l screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 04:02 PM
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #100
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter View Post
Here is a pic of my $40.00 Coleman. It's about 15 years old. I replaced one of the poles on it, but other than that, it's been great!
My most regular riding buddy uses a Coleman of similar vintage. It was a hand me down from his Dad, whereas he has spent plenty of money on a modern sleeping bag, pad, stove, etc. the tent is one thing he has never felt the need to replace. It doesn't leak, is just large enough to get changed in and store all his kit it, it packs small and as light as the modern stuff. Why replace it?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #101
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
My sentiments exactly. The guys who spend big bucks on tents must have an ego to feed. My cheapos have lasted me as well as my buddys many many nights of dry reliable camping. This from a guy with over 500K miles of riding, and thousands of nights camping in rain/snow/wind/heat/rocky terrain/sand/dirt/ you name it. I'd much rather dump my $25-40 tent once every 5 yrs or so (which has not been the case) than spend $250-400 on something that strokes my ego, but doesn't last any longer and surely isn't any more reliable.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #102
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Yes it's all about the ego
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #103
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Yes it's all about the ego
It is really about resentment and bitterness.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #104
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

$39.99 Swiss Army

This tent has been with me for 10 years. No leaks, very comfortable, 12 lbs, packs tight into a canvas bag. My sleeping bag is a Coleman 22 degree that zips into my wife's Coleman. Never been cold or wet.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #105
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, ice

Yes, that is ice you see on the tent. It was the Old skool rally in Telico Springs. A bit nipply and my wife was not with me.