DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    A simple, logical way to find the correct TDC for valve adjustments is to remove all the necessary parts...seat, tank, adjuster covers, spark plug, left side access plugs, etc. On the manual decomp models, make the necessary adjustments to insure the decomp won't interfere with adjustments. Rotate the crank shaft in the direction the motor runs and watch the intake valves (closest to the carb). When the adjuster screw pushes the intake valve down (open) and it returns back up (closed) the next TDC mark that shows up in the access window is the correct position. "Turn the crankshaft untill the engraved line on the magneto rotor is aligned with the center of the hole on the magneto cover" Works on all 4 stroke motors. On most motors, you can put a "tool" down the spark plug hole and watch the up and down motion to be sure you're in the right spot, but that's really not necessary. If you do this, be sure to use something that won't damage anything or break off in there.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Don't know anything about the build but I can tell just by looking that it's not right. That thing is a piece of crap and whatever you paid for it, you were hosed. It will likely prove dangerous, unreliable and boring. Tell you what... I'll take it off your hands right now for half what you paid. You can cut your losses and I'll see if I can save the old dog. :lol3
  3. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I happen to have a main wiring loom for little doctor. Taken from almost new bike when it was modufied to be more offroad capable at nineties. Pm if interested.
  4. ADV BUM

ADV BUM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CRAP! I took a shot without knowing. You guys are not only knowledgeable but generous.
  5. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It happens to all of us. lol nice ride too btw! haha. You'll enjoy it! Trust me! hahaha
  6. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    My bike started popping and backfiring while on a 2 hr ride a few weeks ago...
    As the trip progressed, the backfiring got worse. It started out only being under acceleration and nothing noticeable, then it started bogging down and barely made it to my destination.

I cleaned the air filter, reoiled it and that didn't work.
    I then checked the plug, gapped correctly and the correct color.

I doubt its the carb, I just rebuilt that.
    Possible the coil? Has anyone used the aftermarket coils available on fleebay?
  7. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if these are what you would consider 50/50, but the Michelin T63's have been working well for me commuting, doing slab to the trails, and riding dirt roads of many different qualities. Decent tread life so far.

[​IMG]

BikeBandit has them for around $70/ea ($74 for 130/80-18), but I don't know if that's the best price.
  8. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you replace the O rings when you rebuilt the carb - had similar symptoms a couple of years ago on a trail ride and it turned out to be the O ring that holds the float cage in place had broken up, making the mixture really rich.
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Typically backfiring is a symptom of lean running, not rich ^^^^^
  10. jeep8

jeep8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My air/fuel screw came out one time and caused simular symptoms(popping and backfiring) at less than 4500rpm's
    It's the screw on the bottom front of the carb; I replaced it with the extended screw from keintech, has a spring and oring I think
  11. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree - but that's what I found......or at least, replacing the O rings restored the bike to normal running. I suppose one check would be to pull the choke when the problem is happening and if it gets better then lean is the problem (probably an air leak then).
  13. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Is it a real back fire out the tail pipe/muffler or popping back through the intake ?
  14. jmderyke

jmderyke Miner

Oddometer:
    Before you go tearing into your carb inspect your exhaust, if its loose it can be letting air into the exhaust and that gives the hot gases fresh air to ignite. This usually happens when you let off the gas with higher rpms. If its not the exhaust its most likely the carb
  15. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree Greg , bit of bling really .Hell I have dropped my DR so many times at speed and in some really awful places and never damaged the engine .:lol3
  17. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another noob DR350 Question. Yesterday I replaced the rear tire. Does it matter which side of the bike the axle nut is on. I looked it over and it looks no different except the locknut is now on the left of the bike instead of the right.
  18. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    No harm not foul. Personally I fund it much easier to get the wheel on when the axle is holding the caliper mount in place.
  19. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
  20. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.. Your right those 2 spacers and the caliper mount can be a PITA. I used a MC jack and just kept lowering it until everything lined up. :D