Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,951
A near perfect Canadian hockey game. Outshot the Russians 48-22, with the Russians only getting 4 shots in the third. Most of the game was played in the Russian corners, and Subban is getting stronger every game.

The Russians don't play a good team game, not many rushes, but lots of trying to cherry pick, especially Yakapov.

Canada will face the winner of the US-Czech game in the semi.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,685
Watching the game this morning left me feeling very hopeful for the Bruins future. Hamilton and Subban looked insane.
Schatzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
Watching the game this morning left me feeling very hopeful for the Bruins future. Hamilton and Subban looked insane.
Looks to be a couple of good future NHLers for sure.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #19
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,757
USA beat CZE this morning.

Rematch, bitches!

I'll be wakin' up early tomorrow.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

It'll be a good one. I'll say 5-1 Canada. Tough to get up by 4 after drinking and going to bed at 2.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #21
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
It'll be a good one. I'll say 5-1 Canada. Tough to get up by 4 after drinking and going to bed at 2.
Well I got the score right.... nice win for the US...

Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #22
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Seven little Phil Housleys on the back end for the USA, strong play at the blue line is always impressive to watch. Gibson was more than up to the task, and the offense finally got going these last two games. Grimaldi gave me a few heart attacks with those blind passes - other than that, not really a whole lot to gripe about.

Perhaps it is time to stop the TSN/CBC ratings-and-advertising-fueled shitshow up there leading up to the WJC? I can only imagine 'the panel' trying to decide which of these kids most failed his country. Probably pillory the coach as well.

On thing for the US kids, nobody outside of college hockey knows this tournament even exists. Granted, they don't get as long of a camp before the tourney starts, but they sure look more loose out there.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

It's a huge deal up here. Nearly every male I know was getting up early to watch the games, even though there were 2 repeats right after. It'll be first on every news station in the country today. And the news is not about the kids, most being talked about is why we should have played the US again. In such a short tournament, coming first in a division and beating a team, then beating another team that also beat you, should have you going home.

The goal is not over yet though, still a medal game to play to make it 15 yrs in a row.

We won't pick on the kids though, they'll feel bad enough. There still great young kids, and we'll treasure any young man good enough to wear the red leaf.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Buzz363 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Well the U.S kicked our ass. I think the Canadians were humbled and maybe that will be a good thing in the long run. Had to listen to my wife chanting "U.S.A. U.S.A.".
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
We won't pick on the kids though, they'll feel bad enough. There still great young kids, and we'll treasure any young man good enough to wear the red leaf.
I know the fans and the people up there don't blame the kids, but look at the language used by the media -

Bob McKenzie, throwing four guys under the bus. Video

Quote:
First off, there are no excuses for Team Canada. This is a lockout year, so that means Canada had its absolute best players available and didn't get the job done. It's inconceivable that two years in a row they would lay an egg like they did in the semifinals, and this year was even worse because there was no glorious near-comeback.

So this one is on everybody, from head coach Steve Spott and his staff, to every man in the lineup. That certainly includes Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. He's the best junior age player world and he had a marvelous tournament prior to this game, but he didn't have it Thursday. Then there was the number one defence pair - Scott Harrington and Dougie Hamilton - on the ice for that first American goal. It looked like a fire drill. The defence was breaking down all over the place. Then there is Malcolm Subban, giving up four goals on 16 shots. Was he the only reason - no, not at all. The offence had so many shots and kept missing high and wide.

The concept that Canada can and should win gold each and every year may be just a wee bit optimistic.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
Buzz363 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Bob McKenzie is an ass. I read his book Hockey Dad and he outs himself as a tool in it. It wouldn't be such an issue if we could be world class contenders in another sport but we just aren't. Womens soccer and softball perhaps but softball is no longer in he Olympics.

That being said I've enjoyed the tournament and hope they return to Vancouver soon.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

I could never decide if he or Don Cherry was the bigger blowhard.

Neither are on TV down here, though we get Pierre McGuire on NBC now and again. He's a doofus too.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #28
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I know the fans and the people up there don't blame the kids, but look at the language used by the media -

Bob McKenzie, throwing four guys under the bus. Video

The concept that Canada can and should win gold each and every year may be just a wee bit optimistic.
You didn't quote the rest of the video in which he said there is no one player, no one staff, but all that have failed. He just mentioned first the four players that likely wouldn't be here if the NHL wasn't in lockout. No one is gonna walk up to either of these players and say they suck.

But he's right. They sucked that game, it's a shame that they lose one game and other teams lose two games and are considered better and move on.

As Canadians, we don't think we should win every yr but we should be competitively close, as weve been since the tourney started. There are yrs we could send three teams and win every medal, but that wouldn't be fun for anyone else.

I still think Canada has the best team this time as well.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #29
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
And the news is not about the kids, most being talked about is why we should have played the US again. In such a short tournament, coming first in a division and beating a team, then beating another team that also beat you, should have you going home.
Quote:
But he's right. They sucked that game, it's a shame that they lose one game and other teams lose two games and are considered better and move on.
You're going to have to help me out a little here. The USA won a quarterfinal game and a semifinal game. Canada won zero final round games.

Canada should get extra credit for beating Russia in a qualifying round? They can take it out on them in the bronze medal game.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #30
Callahan71
Banned

Oddometer: 4,048
Ouch, didn't even medal. Back to the drawing board

The media hype that surrounds Canadian players is shameful really. They make it seem as though we've won gold before the tournament has even begun, and if things turn out for the worse they quickly berate the players.

Stick it to the Swedes fellas! NA#1
Callahan71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: