User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,545
Finally left Costa Rica this morning. One last look out to the Pacific coming down to the highway:

From the gravel road coming down from Rancho Diandrew:

There are indigenous tribal lands in southern Costa Rica. Lots of gravel roads heading up into the hills. You could spend a lot of time exploring down here. No tourists in southern Costa Rica to speak of. The Osa peninsula is what the Nicoya peninsula was like 30 years ago before tourism. Was riding down the road and saw some hand carved masks on the side of the road:

so stopped and talked to the guy who was carving them:

really nice work and such a gentle man. I need another mask like I need a hole in the head, but I like to support starving artists around the world so bought one for 4000 colones to give to Chirique Charlie's wife.

Turned off the main road across this steel grate bridge. If you want to feel a squirrely bike try riding steel grating on knobbies:

I stopped to take a shot straight down through the grating. Pretty interesting looking down 60 feet to the swirling water below:

There was a cool viewing platform next to the wide muddy river:

the road to San Vito headed out into the countryside along the spine of a mountain ridge. Really fun narrow winding road with beautiful views out to the valleys on either side. No traffic out here in rural southern Costa Rica:

This road was nothing but potholes two years ago when I rode through. They have been paving like crazy in Costa Rica. The last 30 miles was fresh winding pavement. Really fun. Like a race track:

After San Vito the road comes to the town of Sabalito. After crossing this bridge you veer right. There are no signs to the Panama border:

a little less than a mile past Sabalito you take this left that points to a school:

and at the school you veer left:

down a chunky rough gravel road:

to the border crossing at Rio Sereno Panama. Easy to miss the Costa Rica migracion and aduana up this nondescript driveway:

and then it was over to Panama migration where it took nearly two hours for this short line to be processed through. This is usually so fast with no one here. I guess it was the people coming back from holiday:

and over across the street for getting the bike processed in at Panama aduana. You have to go down the block and around to the left to this building to get mandatory Panama insurance:

It was $15.00 this year. So a couple bucks more than last time. They use american dollars for currency in Panama so that makes figuring easy.

Chirique Charlie met me at the border and I rode home with him. His German wife used to be a chef. That girl can cook. She just set a bowl of homemade chocolate covered blueberries in front of me as I type this.

I am in the western highlands of Panama near the town of Volcan. It is cool and peaceful out here in the country with clouds shrouding the mountains as the sun sets. Really beautiful.

I spent 9600 colones and 15 for insurance, a dollar to spray the bike. So around $35.00.

Buenos noches mis amigos de aventura,
Juanito