Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #31
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 430
When I work on the deep mechanicals of a Honda Elite I'm impressed by the quality of workmanship and materials in these places where no customer was ever expected to go. The plastic body parts are fragile and get pretty worn looking with age, and they are not durable, but the serious machinery is really top grade. When you compare the original parts with Chinese reproduction mechanical parts it can be pretty shocking.

That's why I keep working on these old scooters. They are worth the effort.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
When I work on the deep mechanicals of a Honda Elite I'm impressed by the quality of workmanship and materials in these places where no customer was ever expected to go. The plastic body parts are fragile and get pretty worn looking with age, and they are not durable, but the serious machinery is really top grade. When you compare the original parts with Chinese reproduction mechanical parts it can be pretty shocking.

That's why I keep working on these old scooters. They are worth the effort.
I couldn't agree more! Even with 19k miles, and who knows what kind of maintenance before I bought it, I have been continually pleased to see that Honda really put some effort into building a lot of quality into this motor. Same story with my other Hondas, too.
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #33
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Valve stem seals finally arrived! So stoked. Tomorrow I get to put the head back together, and start reassembling the motor!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #34
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good news: I got the cylinder head put back together with new valve stem seals, piston installed with new rings, and all my new gaskets cut and ready.

Bad news: It seems the bore on the aftermarket cylinder I was sold is undersized, by about .024" which is a hell of a lot...Seems odd that everything else about the part is bang on, but they failed to nail the most important spec of all. :(

Going back to the engine builder tomorrow to see if he can either bore the new cylinder to fit properly, or hone the old one so I can re-use it...
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Since I live in a pretty small town of about 14,000 people, I assumed there wouldn't be anyone here in town who could do the cylinder, but I was wrong, ha! The engine builder I've been talking to recommended an automotive shop here in town, half a mile from my freakin house, lol!

Dropped off the old one to be ball-honed. They'll check it with the bore micrometer to see if the ID is within spec, after the hone, then I should be good to go put the whole bike back together.

Unfortunately, there are no returns on the eBay ripoff cylinder, so I'll have to either re-sell it as the wrong size, or pay to have it actually re-bored to proper spec, then sell it or keep it to be sold along with the scooter.

Anyone want that new cylinder??
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,959
Just to save you from a small hassle, for some reason it seems ,at least on mine, that the exhaust doesn't seal correctly unless I use 2 gaskets. Maybe the new oems are thinner but I've been thru this twice now and for 4bucks I just buy another gasket. It sounds alright when you fire it up but on deceleration it would pop.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Just to save you from a small hassle, for some reason it seems ,at least on mine, that the exhaust doesn't seal correctly unless I use 2 gaskets. Maybe the new oems are thinner but I've been thru this twice now and for 4bucks I just buy another gasket. It sounds alright when you fire it up but on deceleration it would pop.
Thanks for the tip! That area will still be a major concern of mine when I get this thing running later this week. I put a weld bead around the base of the flange part that fits into the head, hoping it would give that sliding collar more leverage to hold it ll in place, so fingers crossed, there.

I only have the 1 factory gasket, and I guess I should have ordered a few when I bought this one. Oops. I'll see how it works with one, then see about trying your trick if I have any trouble.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cylinder took an extra day, but the hone worked out great, still well within spec on the ID, and it scrubbed up pretty well, too.

I finally got to start the assembly process today, and put in 7 hours. Re-stacked the motor, new head gasket installed, motor back into the frame, all hoses and wires hooked up, except for the fuel tank. Adjusted the valves, put fresh oil in the engine, and decided to call it a night, praying that all my 200 hours of work won't be for nothing come test time tomorrow...

Tomorrow I need to hook up the fuel tank, fill the coolant system, file down all the welds on the muffler, install the muffler, and connect the freshly charged battery. Then I can test start it, and see what kinks may need to be worked out. My biggest worries are the new head gasket, and the water pump. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #39
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, the scooter is back together!

Spent a couple hours filing down the welds on the muffler, namely the restricting factory welds right where the end collar attaches to the head pipe. All sanded smooth now, and installed with the proper exhaust gasket. The only bad thing about the day, besides the rain, was that one of the 2 threaded exhaust studs spun in the head. :bawling: It holds the muffler just fine, but if I ever have to back that acorn nut off...I'll have another project.

Motor started up just fine after I rolled the bike out of the garage. A little smoke from the exhaust, but runs smoothly. Can't tell if the small differences I notices on the short test ride were all in my head, but the throttle response feels smoother and more urgent than before. Less squeaking, too, ha.

Hopefully the rain will be gone by monday and I can take it out for a longer shakedown ride and grab some better pics.

Scrubbed the outside of the motor so it would be easier to spot any possible leaks later on. Safety wired the acorn nuts so I won't lose them again. MLS head gasket seems to be working fine so far, thank God.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #40
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, the thing runs great, and displayed no signs of trouble after the 25 mile shakedown ride yesterday. Today, however, I took the bodywork off and noticed that the head gasket is weeping a little, and the cases are leaking a little oil. Can't see where from, so I'm pulling the motor out again tomorrow to try tightening the head bolts, and fix the oil leak.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

From the picture it appears that the exhaust flange is nearly bottomed out against the head already and almost always needs retightened after a couple hundred miles so you might as well do the 2 gasket deal and be done with it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #42
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
From the picture it appears that the exhaust flange is nearly bottomed out against the head already and almost always needs retightened after a couple hundred miles so you might as well do the 2 gasket deal and be done with it.
The exhaust gasket isn't leaking at all though...No popping noises on the overrun, and no hissing sounds or loss of power.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #43
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

It will be in a few weeks.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #44
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Took it all apart again, aside from pulling the head off, then put it all back together and took it out for a test ride. I tightened the acorn nuts on the head studs just a little, and looked everything over. I think all the leakage I was seeing was actually from 2 things I didn't guess:

The fuel line from the tank to the carb had sprung a leak. Clipped the hose and that was solved. The other leakage all appears to be coming from the valve cover...This has really got me stumped, because as far as I can tell, there shouldn't be anything more than crankcase pressure in there. The only thing I can think of is that, somehow, exhaust gasses are making it past the valve guides and into the cover? The oil looks fine, still clear, not burnt, not aerated or milky, but the stuff coming out of the valve cover, right where it is supposed to seat on top of the cylinder head, is almost foamy. When I reinstalled the o-ring into the valve cover, I used Hondabond as well, which didn't seem to help, as it leaked a little when I rode it today...

It also briefly tried to overheat today, but the needle went back down after a while. Thinking there was maybe a bubble in the coolant lines? Came home, topped off the radiator cap, made sure the reservoir was full, and couldn't replicate the problem running it up on stands in my driveway...

Quote:
It will be in a few weeks.
Ha, righto. I'll order a couple spares then, thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #45
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope, it's leaking oil alright. No idea else it's coming from besides the valve cover though. I've decided to put it up for sale, try to at least get back what money I have into it.