Oddometer: 901
Not like this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839736

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Rode to work yesterday afternoon, sun was peeking out and I was quite comfortable with Olympia suit and warm underclothing. Last night at 2300 after shift: ice everywhere hmmm. Bike was fine just kept clutch and brake smooth but cars were sliding on every corner. Vancouver drivers suck at the best of times and I was not comfortable until I hit the highway and could cruise in the slow lane. Took the truck tonight as I don't want to be taken out by some schmuck who doesn't account for road conditions.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #33
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 776
Did some snow riding today on the little KLR 250. Been nearly two years since I've ridden ice and snow, last time was on a KLR 650. The little bikes light weight and low power output serve it well on the slick stuff around town but on faster back roads with icy hardpack it can get a bit twitchy. Off road in the powder is the most fun however.

beeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
flybynitetours
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
One common thread I get here is that the best way to ride in the snow is on a tiny bike.

Hmmmm. I need to go shopping!
I ride to and from work all winter. My winter bike is an elderly TW200 (13hp) with tempered ice screws in the lugs. I mount the screws in the side lugs, not in the center so they just kiss the road until you lean over to turn which fully engages the ice screws. This year I have decided to not ride when it is colder than (-) 15F . rw
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #35
mtnbikeboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I feel that if I had a set of these tires, snow riding would be less intimidating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikVxS5BS8M
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #36
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Riding is tough enough in my opinion....Why introduce no traction?
It really takes some preparing and know-how to stay safe on a motorcycle in wintry conditions.

If you've got little experience of riding in snow&ice, and have the same street tyres you use in the summer, you're probably depending on sheer luck. Sometimes it can get you home, sometimes it won't. The really bitchy thing about winter is, that grip level can go from almost tolerable to slippery as hell and back within a few hundred feet, and exact road condition can change again in five minutes. On a heavy bike and no winter tyres, more than 9 out of 10 times you go down instantly, when you hit that real slippery patch, there's just no way to steer. It's important to understand, that this is NOT in any way comparable to bad roads, or even sand or mud. Getting into a situation like that in traffic is something you want to avoid.

If you take it seriously, invest on tyres & cold riding gear AND you really want to take your time to learn those tricks, then you might be okay (..but better prepare for a few stumbles even then!)

But if it's more like "well, it started to snow, but I'll still ride home from work and see how it goes", then you're just being stubborn, and that might bite you.

As stated before, the weight of the bike is important here. Think 125-400cc enduro type, those would be ideal, with good tyre options available.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 02:15 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #37
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
my soulution

mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #38
nulluser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145

I like to think of it as packed sand, because that's what I have the most experience in.

Loosen up, lean back to accelerate, lean forward to brake and corner, and maintain your balance. Riding in slippery conditions is very surgical. Deliberate and precise actions. I keep a kind of dialog in my head when it gets rough "Ok, coming up to a corner, completely slick, I need to slow down to almost nothing to make it, brake, look into to turn, clear, start my lean, stay away from that rut, making the turn, keep balance, leaning back and powering out" Not really vocalizing, just a train of thought that's running when I need to pay attention in the thick.

YMMV. Nothing beats experience.

nulluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #39
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
From someone who, for nearly 40 yrs, has driven in snow/ice/winter conditions 6-7 months per year on 4 wheels, .......my advice is there's a lot of TERRIBLE advice in this thread, and if you're caught in snow / packed snow or ice .... you need to be fearful of staying upright AND the other guy on the road..It's one thing if your playing around off road, but personally, I'd never ride any bike in traffic.
Hm, maybe you should get some experience on two wheels as well before handing out bad advice?

If you are caught in snow and ice, you are ill prepared and it is your own fault. If you are prepared, all is well and it just takes longer to get home.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,036
You guys are really making me want to take the klr out right now. See if the pics work, but about 2" and coming down right now.

I wish I had a smaller bike right now. The KLR650 doesn't seem right, the XRR won't start in this weather. The girlfriend's TTR125 isn't plated, but I don't seem to see cops anywhere....

hmm.... Be right back.

Edit:

My Ride Report: You guys are nuts. TTR wouldn't start, took the KLR. I have no idea how I made it back to the garage. Running Kenda big blocks, 50% ish tread, around 12 psi. Did some practice in the field, then went to the road. Never again. That is all.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485

jules083 screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 11:03 AM Reason: Added ride report
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #41
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Salt truck just made his rounds. Should I try again? Don't know if I want to get that much salt on the bike unless it's a few mile ride though.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #42
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,870
Don't forget that the salt truck will provide lots of orange stuff all over your rotors, chain and anything else that may need some tenderizing ... my reason for sticking to the lake or non-salted surfaces.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #43
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Don't forget that the salt truck will provide lots of orange stuff all over your rotors, chain and anything else that may need some tenderizing ... my reason for sticking to the lake or non-salted surfaces.
True.

Heck with it, It's not like I need to go anywhere anyways. Maybe pull the bike inside finally and get some work done to it. I have some little stuff that needs done, and I'm tossing around building saddlebag mounts. Get it in and look at it at least.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #44
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Not in some field or a deserted country road, but on the interstate in the city during a blizzard. A Ural in its natural element.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDkLm...yer_detailpage

windmill screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 11:44 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #45
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Hm, maybe you should get some experience on two wheels as well before handing out bad advice?

If you are caught in snow and ice, you are ill prepared and it is your own fault. If you are prepared, all is well and it just takes longer to get home.
Who said I no experience on two wheels on ice??
Two wheels in traffic + snow and ice = Stupidity
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote