Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #631
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatler View Post
I just ordered the GPR exhaust to replace the stock exhaust. I thought I saw some kind of case that mounts where the stock, right side exhaust used to be but now I can't find it. Has anyone seen this? It's a plastic tube basically the same dimension as the right muffler. Thanks!
Twisted throttle sells these but I don't think it's what your looking for...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twist...w-mounting-kit
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #632
tkatler
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACK RAT View Post
Twisted throttle sells these but I don't think it's what your looking for...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twist...w-mounting-kit
That was it!
tkatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #633
Denser NL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
[/IMG]

BAM!!!! Merry Xmas to me..
I wonder if this exhaust will fit on a 2000 F650GS.....
Denser NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #634
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
I just ordered the GPR exhaust to replace the stock exhaust. I thought I saw some kind of case that mounts where the stock, right side exhaust used to be but now I can't find it. Has anyone seen this? It's a plastic tube basically the same dimension as the right muffler. Thanks!
Like this:

I made this up in my shop.....sold it later when I went back to the OEM exhaust. It really was handy for stowing tools and such.

Peter Y.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #635
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
That was it!
This one is exactly the same and a lot cheaper

http://mower-blades.agrisupply.com/s...20holder&asug=
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #636
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Like this:

I made this up in my shop.....sold it later when I went back to the OEM exhaust. It really was handy for stowing tools and such.

Peter Y.
Would you tell me the diameter and length of the OEM can.
I was wondering if a 3 gallon tour tank would fit there when going to a single can exhaust.
The tour tank is 16" long and 8" in diameter
Would be nice to have 6.5 gallon fuel capacity.
Thanks.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #637
seth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Like this:

Peter Y.
Peter, I like your licence plate! Why did you go back to the OEM exhaust??
seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #638
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
[QUOTE=PACK RAT;20382253][/IMG]]

In essence, what benefits do these aftermarket exhaust systems provide? Just wondering and need to be educated. thanks

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #639
seth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
[QUOTE=trrt;20398748]
Quote:

In essence, what benefits do these aftermarket exhaust systems provide? Just wondering and need to be educated. thanks
I am not qualified to give an educated answer to this question but what I can tell u is that it is a weight saving, the throttle is smoother on the low end and it looks and sounds very awesome! I have not put any real miles on it to see what it does to the mileage.
seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #640
WadiRum
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Suspension

I just purchased a 2011 G650GS with the factory lowered suspension option. I am 5'9 and find the bike a bit low for me and would like to have more ground clearance. Is it possible to restore it to the original height? Is it something I could do at home and where can I get the parts?
WadiRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #641
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadiRum View Post
I just purchased a 2011 G650GS with the factory lowered suspension option. I am 5'9 and find the bike a bit low for me and would like to have more ground clearance. Is it possible to restore it to the original height? Is it something I could do at home and where can I get the parts?
When we purchased a 2011 model, we had the dealer perform the lowering option. They gave us a removed part, wrapped in bubble wrap, they had removed from the original and told us to keep it so that we could easily restore the height later. So, I would assume that at the worst, you could get the needed part(s) from the dealer.
They indicated it was no big deal to change out.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #642
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Peter, I like your licence plate! Why did you go back to the OEM exhaust??
Seth, I tried a GPR muffler so I could (1) save weight and (2) make room for more storage. The GPR was well made, reasonably priced, and came with a Db killer. I left the killer in and thought that the exhaust sounded a bit louder but not obnoxious. Then I took a multi day trip where I had to listen to the exhaust for hour after hour and I simply got tired of the extra noise. It appears that I'm that odd duck who does not like the resonance I was getting at cruising speed. Everyone else thought it was desirable. On my trip I also decided that I'm really not the off road charger I was aiming to be. That let me get rid of the extra storage and go back to OEM.

As for the license plate, thanks. My other bike has a plate that says 1K DAY. Evidently Virginia has more vanity license plates than any other state. Go figure.

FWIW, there was absolutely no gain in power or economy when I had the after market exhaust. The bike ran exactly the same. I have to wonder how Husky managed to get almost 10 extra horses out of our Rotax engine. They bumped the compression up and re-did the heads but that's quite a jump from an engine that was already in service for, what, over 15 years and pretty well developed.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #643
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadiRum View Post
Wadi, the change is more than just the suspension dogbone. I believe you have to change the shock, side stand, and center stand too. This is something you can do at home but the shock is going to be interesting. You will find that the upper shock bolt is a bitch until you raise the rear subframe. There is always someone wanting to go from one direction to the other (stock to lowered or the other way around) so you will find a buyer for your lowered stuff. Patience will win out. I'm 5' 11" and years ago I got a lowered Funduro for my height challenged daughter. When I tried to ride that bike it was painful. My big feet were dragging the ground on every corner. No such problem with my G650GS since it is the standard height.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #644
Backwardsit
n00b

Oddometer: 6
To all those on this topic from New Zealand. Just in case I am not the last person in the country to know, Touratech now have a NZ presence. Really friendly and easy to deal with. Saves all those big shipping charges from US and prices seem comparable once exchange rates are taken into account.
Backwardsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #645
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Wadi, the change is more than just the suspension dogbone. I believe you have to change the shock, side stand, and center stand too. This is something you can do at home but the shock is going to be interesting. You will find that the upper shock bolt is a bitch until you raise the rear subframe. There is always someone wanting to go from one direction to the other (stock to lowered or the other way around) so you will find a buyer for your lowered stuff. Patience will win out. I'm 5' 11" and years ago I got a lowered Funduro for my height challenged daughter. When I tried to ride that bike it was painful. My big feet were dragging the ground on every corner. No such problem with my G650GS since it is the standard height.
Is there a shorter side stand available for the lowered version? Ours has the standard one and it stands the bike a bit to close to vertical for my likeing. Also, we were told that no center stand is available for the lowered version, so we never had one.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote