Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #31
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
My friends were in NZ during the RWC in '11. They caught some quarter & semi final matches. My buddy was in Auckland partying w/ some Kiwi's and he said French fans didn't take to losing so much, so he bought them a drink to ease the pain
Nobody takes to losing much. Like you, I was in Marseilles in 2007 and the Aussies really didn't enjoy that one. I was in Paris for both the pool game and the final against South Africa and it felt bad. I guess what made the French feel even worse is losing a match that they could and arguably, should have won.

In my experience of living seven years in France, whilst the French enjoy wearing their hearts on their sleeves a little more than most, they're also the first to say, "C'est la vie"!

Oh, edit: they also hated the coach, Marc Lievremont, who had, by that time, lost the confidence of his players who were managing themselves without his input.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 03:53 PM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
What team is looking good for the 6 Nations?

How the Irish looking these daze?
The Paddies were woeful in the Autumn, the Taffs no better and Scotland got trashed. Italy handed in some decent performances but are still weak in critical areas. If it goes to form the French should have it but they play England at Twickenham so it could be open.

I'd say all bets are off until the second weekend to see which England team turns up in Dublin. The clinical one from the second half against the ABs or the inept and indecisive one we saw against the Springboks and Aussies.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,878
Quote:
My friends were in NZ during the RWC in '11. They caught some quarter & semi final matches. My buddy was in Auckland partying w/ some Kiwi's and he said French fans didn't take to losing so much, so he bought them a drink to ease the pain
Cant blame the French...Joubert was way too lenient against the ABs in the second half...recon it had to do with him not fancying his chances getting out of NZ alive should Les Blue have won....as much as I think McCaw is a cock hole, Rougeries gouging was shocking.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #34
George Papadopolis
between

Quote:
What team is looking good for the 6 Nations?

How the Irish looking these daze?
France
England
Wales
Ireland
The Jocks
Italy
In that order. Someone should start a pool.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
Wildman
In my castle

I'll go:

England ('cos I'm English more than anything)
France (the real favourites)
Ireland (because their tough matches are at home)
Wales (some key injuries building up with the likes of Preistland, Charteris, Hook etc.)
Scotland (only since they're hosting Italy)
Italy (but I'd love to see them higher)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #36
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharino View Post
France
England
Wales
Ireland
The Jocks
Italy
In that order. Someone should start a pool.
I'd go with this (unfortunately) since I just don't see England being able to string 2 or 3 results together since they are so maddeningly inconsistent.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
George Papadopolis
between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'd go with this (unfortunately) since I just don't see England being able to string 2 or 3 results together since they are so maddeningly inconsistent.
I think they will have their tails up after dismantling the ABs. They are a fairly young team yhat seem to be coming in to their own ala Tualagi. That said I suspect the french will be pretty spit and polished.
Whats realy got my interest is to see if Gav Henson gets a shout although been out a month with injury he showed he is still class with the L Welsh and Wales are in a bind.
Also what Gatlands Lions pics will be. O'Conner should be back for the Wallabies and BEale might be back on track as will PoCock , who knows about Q Cooper... A Wallabie scalp may not be had for the BI Lions.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Nobody takes to losing much. Like you, I was in Marseilles in 2007 and the Aussies really didn't enjoy that one. I was in Paris for both the pool game and the final against South Africa and it felt bad. I guess what made the French feel even worse is losing a match that they could and arguably, should have won.

In my experience of living seven years in France, whilst the French enjoy wearing their hearts on their sleeves a little more than most, they're also the first to say, "C'est la vie"!
Wild

I had a great time in France in '07. I realized that the day after the Rose v. Oz game was the last race of the season for SBK @ Magny Cours - so I said F'it I'm doing both.

(Political note - since the Iraq war was going on & many peeps thought we shouldn't have been there [most Yanks agreed too] I thought some French would give me shyte for being a Yank, but it never happened)

I met some great English guys at the races & ws happy to see Toseland win it.

I thought the 1/4 match was great & shocked that England won. I had great seats - 2nd row in the endzone (tryzone?).
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #39
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
... Political note - since the Iraq war was going on & many peeps thought we shouldn't have been there I thought some French would give me shyte for being a Yank, but it never happened....
The French love Americans, hate America. They think you should all speak French.

Was high-up behind one end of the ground in Marseilles, maybe behind you. Saw the Springbok v. Fiji game the next day; very entertaining match. Also had a good local bar/restaurant in Lalonde to watch the other Quarter-finals on tv. Great atmosphere.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #40
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
The French love Americans, hate America. They think you should all speak French.

Well maybe they should have sent their religious outcasts over 1st

BTW - We've never been the same

Back to France '07 - After game we went into the Old Port area for dinner, next to us were two English guys & two Aussies, all in their kits - not saying much to each other But the fiasco was the outside bartenders, there had to be about 300 people trying to get a drink from 2 bartenders.

Finally, when we were about to leave, went to use restroom (loo) and 3 guys walk out of the loo fit for 1. My lady looked at me like WTF, I said they were doing blow. I showed her the top of the toilet tank w/ the yayo residue, she said how did U know that? me: Don't ask

Since I had to get to Nevers the next day for SBK, we tried in vain to get back to hotel in Orange for the AB v. Les Bleu kickoff. As I was binning that Renault up the hiway, I realized that we would miss the start of the game, so I took the next exit I could & found a bar/restaurant/hotel off the exit. We had a great time there. They seemed very shocked that Americans liked rugby & with French beating the ABs, next thing the champagne is popping & La Marseillaise being sung. A fond memory

See you at the White Swan in Twickenham in '15
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #41
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

My RWC story....I was in NY on business and after dinner and a 'few' drinks, a colleague and I (Scottish - so that could have back-fired big time...) went looking for a pub showing the final. We found a few but they were all totally full. Went back to the hotel dejected....flew out that day. Sat there and I detected a slight accent in the (male) flight attendant....are you Australian by any chance. Yes he says, rugby fan I ask ? Yes, BIG fan - do you know the result? No. Oh I say Felt good to tell him the convicts got beat by a last-minute Jonny drop goal
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #42
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,998
Well, my schedule's come out. If I'm willing to drive 2 hours each way, we've got an away game in Doylestown, PA, in early april. Old Boys don't get to play much.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #43
George Papadopolis
between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Well, my schedule's come out. If I'm willing to drive 2 hours each way, we've got an away game in Doylestown, PA, in early april. Old Boys don't get to play much.
We played another Old Boys side from Denver over the summer...those cheeky bastards actually practice together
Old 01-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #44
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharino View Post
We played another Old Boys side from Denver over the summer...those cheeky bastards actually practice together
Inconceivable!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #45
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Inconceivable!
What he means is they get together 5 mins before the game to discuss line-out calls...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: