Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
after a short stay in SD, we hopped on the incredible highway 94 over to Tecate. I really didn't to deal with the whole border crossing thing right there in SD and this road looked awesome on the map.....and when it looks awesome on a map....

it was awesome for sure. It was really strange to look at the GPS and see Mexico just over 'yonder and realize that we would very soon be rolling along IN Mexico.

we got to the border and quyen had to ask the border patrol guy a few things...

"So what if I swallow all the drugs?"

border

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #32
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

it really is strange - when you roll into a different country on a motorcycle you really feel vulnerable. Having only been to Mexico once, I felt pretty out of place but I had been assured by many that everything would be fine.

First things first - I needed to find the highway that would take us down to Rosarito Beach. Easy. Type in Rosarito into the GPS and hit GO.

after I hit go - I see something I've never seen from a GPS "Cannot Navigate". Well what the hell is the point of a GPS that doesn't help you with directions?! So we set off in the general direction and eventually found the highway and this started my hatred of my brand new Garmin Nuvi - piece of shit.

there was a nice highway that took us down to Rosarito. These small cube style living areas seemed to be all over the place.

Rolling

we got down to Rosarito in no time....

when we got there we received quite a shock. The new Rosarito Beach Hotel looked like it was teleported from Vegas. Nothing in town is anywhere NEAR the size of this place.....

the rooms are nice though

the view is pretty good too....

Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #33
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

for those of you that are actually planning on reading this - I apologize.....I got hit with a cold and eating chicken soup and playing video games have been my priority for the past few days.

ANYWAYS....

We were in Rosarito Beach for two days on a Groupon that we had purchased online. It was $200 for two nights including two one hour massages, and a bunch of booze and food credits.... so basically free.

oh and FYI - getting a massage in Mexico is like being in a fight and you're not allowed to defend yourself....

SO. After two days we headed out. It was one of the three days on this trip that it was actually cold. Full gear - riding pants, balaclava etc...

Rosarito is right in the middle of fixing all the roads in town.... it was a pretty big mess

the new toll road near the old road

the toll road is awesome. very smooth and empty.

some of the views even here were incredible

we kind of skipped Ensenada..... it was busy and tons of traffic.... and kind of falling apart

and lots of pollution....

right away one could see how this could be dirt bike heaven!!

getting out onto the road - this truck was easily going 70-75+ and had zero interest in letting us pass. It was insane - he was in the middle of the lane, totally hammer down. I slowed way down because there could have been another truck doing the same coming the other way and I did not want to have anything to do with a cataclysm like that...

further on

gorgeous desert

heading into Valley de Trinidad

stoked to be a on real trip

our first road side lunch stop to practice our Spanish...

this place was cool. They were very friendly and nice.... food was good.... check it out!

further on....

down and through our first two military stops to the other side of the peninsula

heading into San Felipe

Quote:
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,042
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #35
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post

yeah sorry for the delay..... its holidays so that means im doing a lot of slinking into corners and doing many dishes....

we will resume shortly!

Quote:
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
yeah sorry for the delay..... its holidays so that means im doing a lot of slinking into corners and doing many dishes....

we will resume shortly!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #37
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Okay..... leaving San Felipe!

We had a lovely breakfast in the morning at a place of course that I cant remember and met with some nice folks from the US that had moved down there and they couldn't have been happier. For them it seems, they bought a place and started spending time down there. A few weeks a year turned into a few months a year and that turned into basically full time.

It makes you think....

we roll out of San Felipe not exactly knowing which way to go. Our GPS is nearly worthless as it shows us driving around in the ocean - so we follow the crowd and find the coast road.

lots of fifth wheel rigs down there...

there were LOTS of "creek crossing" signs down here and - I kid you not - were like Motocross Jumps. in fact, I have BEEN on smaller MX jumps. Had we not been given good advice warning us about these, we may have had our trip cut short after a long time in the air with a probable crash.

oh - there IS a trashcan in Mexico. We found it.

our map was showing that this road turned into dirt just 50 miles south of San Felipe - we knew we were going to run into dirt but we just didnt know when. We also knew that once we hit the dirt, we might have to turn around....so we were just enjoying what was in front of us.

what we were rewarde with was one of the best motorcycle roads I have ever seen - it gives HWY 1 in California a serious run for its money.

you can see the old road here - not bad at all. and what a view!

the desert we saw in here was PRISTINE...... so beautiful.

SO - there we were gliding along on this brand new ribbon of perfect tarmac....

then we come up on something in the road.....the guys were out there in the sun MAKING THE CURBS on the road. They looked up and waved at us "Buenos Dias!" everyone waved - we waved back.

so now we are driving along with no curbs

we are going along and see something else in the road up ahead. It's all the guys with the paving machines!
we wave. "Buenos Dias!" everyone waves - we wave back. Now we're on a graded dirt road....

finally we come across a guy with a truck and he is wildly motioning us to be off of the road.... and here is why....come around a corner and this is what we saw.

THIS is why they dont want you travelling at night - you come around a corner and there is 50% of a bridge.... or a pile of cows.

so we got off of the new highway and back onto the old road. Here is the way they tell you to exit the highway....

SO - back on the old highway!

and into Ganzaga Bay!

Quote:
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #38
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Gonzaga Bay is a very interesting place. I really liked it there. Might move there....soon.

This guy has a plane in his parking spot! so cool

here is the pic of the airstrip. please keep off....

we went down to Alphonsia's and got a room. The view from the room.....

it was so funny. we got the room and asked where the keys were and they laughed. Key? What key? Why do you need a key!?

I DONT KNOW!!

view from our bed

unfortunately some of veggies I had from Alphonsia's had made me sick so I spent that night with my face in the toilet and then tryin to take a shower with water pressure like fairy piss which was either scalding or freezing.
Quote:
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #39
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Have you seen the movie, Blood Diamond? It's about Diamond trafficking in Africa. Anyways, the story goes on to tell of all of the horrible things that happen to everyone in Africa and the theme of the movie is TIA - This is Africa.

So throughout this trip we were always saying, TIM - This is Mexico.

Got sick from the veggies you ate the night before? TIM.

Your shower is barely a trickle of scalding water? TIM.

You round a corner on the highway and there is;
A) A speeding semi truck already in your lane
B) A pile of cows
C) a Motocross jump
D) a beach that has wandered into the road
E) all of the above

THIS IS MEXICO!

Quote:
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Great stuff!

Keep it comin'!

T-minus 8 weeks for me....
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #41
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Great stuff!

Keep it comin'!

T-minus 8 weeks for me....

where you goin??
Quote:
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #42
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

where you goin??
3+ weeks in Baja = pretty much everywhere....

providing there's no deep sand....

No real "goals" except to bounce off (and then leave) Cabo San Lucas to say we were there.

Plan lottsa down time...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.....

(Yep, going to Gonzaga...)

DaFoole screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:20 AM
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #43
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Love the report. The pics are really nice. We would love to take a trip to Baja, It is just so danged far from us. Keep it coming.

Just remember, a government big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take away all you have. Davy Crockett
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #44
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
3+ weeks in Baja = pretty much everywhere....

providing there's no deep sand....

No real "goals" except to bounce off (and then leave) Cabo San Lucas to say we were there.

Plan lottsa down time...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.....

(Yep, going to Gonzaga...)
YES - Gonzaga. ummm, forget about Cabo and make sure to get to adjacent San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo Plumo et al (Dirt road that runs the eastern tip of the peninsula) Mulege' is pretty cool even though it was fairly destroyed in that hurricane a few years ago. Todos Santos is was pretty cool.....

lemme keep going with this report so you get a better idea...

Quote:

eatpasta screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 10:51 AM
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #45
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Alright - I gotta get my shit together because DaFoole is getting ready for his trip and he needs info and ideas.... so here goes.

We stayed the night in Gonzaga Bay but I could have retired right then and there. What a spot. You really dont want to leave. EVER.

HOWever - it was my wifes Bday that next day and she wanted to move on. Mostly because she didnt want to spend her Bday on a bike in the dirt (ahhh how ironic it is because i usually WANT to spend my bday on a bike in the dirt)

There was a crew of guys there from Colorado on dirtbikes - well if you can call a KLR a dirtbike. They were nice guys but kept mostly to themselves.

so we set off on the only actual adventure part of the trip. we had no idea what the dirt was goin to be like and if we couldnt make it back to the highway, we were going to have to backtrack all the way to Ensenada.... and we did NOT want to do that.
So off we go into the desert.

the road was doable, two up on a GS if you had some experience. Solo GS would be pretty easy - almost good for a newish rider. On a dirtbike almost boring.

two up with food, gear, tools, oil, water, camping equipment and wife.... trickier.

As it turned out, we were actually on the Baja 1000 course from the weekend before, so it was pretty rocky and beat down.

I was geeking out about the race arrows and MADE quyen get off the bike and take a few pics

the desert out there is legit desert. Not this pansy-ass California desert we have. The desert out here is the real deal.

I started getting comfortable in the dirt and we hit some sand so I wicked it up to 35 - 40 -45 mph. All was well till we hit a really deep patch of sand which sent us into one of the biggest slides of my life at about 50 mph on a 1000 lb. bike. I thought for SURE we were going to crash - and it was that feeling when you KNOW it's going to be a bad one and you regret trying to be cool on a GS in the dirt. After all, I have always said "When you start to think you're cool in the dirt on a GS is when you crash".
I dont know why/how - but I managed to save it and we did NOT crash. I would like to call it skill but I'm not proud enough to admit it was probably just luck and I thanked who/whatever was necessary for allowing us not to crash that day. It would have been ugly. It would have looked like a KLR garage sale for sure.
I popped open my windscreen and explained to my wife what a "Pucker Moment" is. She agreed and I continued on if first gear.

Celebration for the save of the month.

Quote:

eatpasta screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 11:23 AM