ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #6526
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Almost forgot....... I do remember that I always had to have the CD's in the CD drive to work with it which was a hassle but from what I remember there were no unlock codes required.

Maybe they are all that way, I have no idea. But it sure was a hassle to have to load the disks (there are three of them) if I wanted to even view the map segments in MapSource.

Is the 24K or 100K that way too?

Jon...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #6527
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Almost forgot....... I do remember that I always had to have the CD's in the CD drive to work with it which was a hassle but from what I remember there were no unlock codes required.

Maybe they are all that way, I have no idea. But it sure was a hassle to have to load the disks (there are three of them) if I wanted to even view the map segments in MapSource.

Is the 24K or 100K that way too?

Jon...
Now that you mention it, I do have an ancient set of Topo CD's around here somewhere, and the last time I used them I do remember having to put the correct CD in the drive before I could read the Map information.

Current release DVD's install to your HDD and do not require the DVD be inserted each time to function.

Oh, and SKIP the Topo 100K. Garbage.

This a great 24k map for your area.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #6528
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the link and info. I'll check it out when I have more time. Need to get some rest (I work nights).

Jon...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #6529
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:

If you decide it's worth trying to install the mapset to your computer, copy all the cd contents to a directory on your computer and install from that; that way you won't have to keep the discs in the drive.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #6530
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:

Jon...
I have been using this version of TopoUSA in all my GPS's since 1999. I had no problem loading it into the Montana from Mapsource, and I still prefer it to many newer products because of the wealth of POI's which I am interested in like old mines. My impression is that many newer topo products have deleted POI's which existed in this one. I can't be sure because I don't own any newer Garmin topos. I've gone the free state map route from GPSFileDepot for the 24K maps.

There IS a way to get the data onto the HDD and make Mapsource recognize it:

Install Topo USA normally and make sure Mapsource will read the maps from the CD.

Create a directory called My Documents-My Garmin-Topo-East, West, and (Alaska/Hawaii, if you want them too) or wherever you like.

Copy the CD's image files into those folders as appropriate.

Run Regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Produ cts (in XP)
or in Win7: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Garmin\Map source\Products

Export a copy of \Products for safety.

There will be numbered subfolders there, open each and look at LOC. It will say (drive letter) E:\East...or\West, or \Alaska, etc.

Change this value to the appropriate folder you created above, including correct drive letter. (I left Alaska and Hawaii as E: since I'll never use them. (Right click, select Modify, type in new value))

Voila! The next time you run Mapsource it should read maps from the HDD, which is about 10 times faster than the CD.

This came from http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...howtopic=61356
which also shows the alternate method listed below.

Here is the other method
https://support.garmin.com/support/s...00000000000%7D

Now, once you have gotten this all to work properly in Mapsource, Basecamp should also recognize the maps with no further issues. (I said should ) Apparently you can also do this for Basecamp, but I don't have the correct registry key and I still want both Mapsource and Basecamp on the computer anyway.

I've been happily using this old Topo for 13 years for 95% of my backcountry exploring and don't see much reason to spend money on new. I simply refuse to use autorouting in the backcountry when my life may be at stake....I insist on creating and vettting the routes or tracks at home with the use of varied resources (such as Google Earth).

Hope this helps.

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 02:38 PM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #6531
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Today I downloaded the most recent JaVaWa Device Manager and plugged my Montana in and ran the application to see if anything needed attention. I found MGV4 was not visible in Basecamp so I changed that, and ejected the Montana.

Next time I booted the Montana, MGV4 was visible again in all Profiles.
OK, I finally got time to experiment: I added an aready existing *img file from the HDD to the Sd card using just Windows Explorer. When I ejected the Montana and turned it on, in ALL the profiles the only change was that the new map had been enabled.

So it must be MapInstall that re-enables all maps in all profiles when adding maps.

I also later deleted the new map using the above method and none of the profiles changed....(not that that's surprising)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #6532
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
I Went out on the super Tenere today with the 478 on board

I have been riding around with the Montana in the car.

Simply stated; if you have one keep your 276/376/478.

I forgot how good everything about the 478 is. I dont think I would ever be happy with the Montana for the Adventure riding I do with our small group. It just doesn't compare. Not even close

I will keep the Montana and continue to use it because it is so versatile and i will use it for paved road only rides. And I will continue to hope they can work on the Montana so it can provide the full functionality of the 478.

But for our adventure rides the 478 will be on the bike.

JB
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #6533
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
OK, I finally got time to experiment: I added an aready existing *img file from the HDD to the Sd card using just Windows Explorer. When I ejected the Montana and turned it on, in ALL the profiles the only change was that the new map had been enabled.

So it must be MapInstall that re-enables all maps in all profiles when adding maps.

I also later deleted the new map using the above method and none of the profiles changed....(not that that's surprising)
Thanks for checking that. I must admit, unless I'm creating a new Mapset, I generally have no reason to use MapInstall so I don't.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #6534
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,877
Wow, this thread has been idle for 12 whole hours !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #6535
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Wow, this thread has been idle for 12 whole hours !
Weird, I know.
I actually got all my routes and tracks loaded yesterday. No issues.
I imagine I'm just utilizing 5% of the Montana's capability, but its working so far.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #6536
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for all the feedback regarding my older copy of US Topo

I'll play around with it on my days off.

Atlas,

WOW that's quite a download you linked to. Unzipped it and it installed in BC without any drama. Took a quick look at some of the saved rides in the woods I have been on and the detail looks good.....thanks for pointing me to the map. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Topo I have on CD.

Rocky,

Good info on installing the disks on a PC. I have both (PC and Mac) and have pretty much switched over to the Mac now but know all about RegEdit under Windows. I suspect I can accomplish basically the same thing on my Mac. So I appreciate the time you took to write up the info .

At the very least I can just copy all the CD data into one location as EmmBee suggested which will still be faster than reading from CD.

Jon...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #6537
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the feedback regarding my older copy of US Topo

I'll play around with it on my days off.

Atlas,

WOW that's quite a download you linked to. Unzipped it and it installed in BC without any drama. Took a quick look at some of the saved rides in the woods I have been on and the detail looks good.....thanks for pointing me to the map. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Topo I have on CD.

Jon...
They also have a transparent version of just the trail maps, NWTrails, if you want to layer the trail information over another map, like City Navigator, etc...

atlas cached screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 01:15 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #6538
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddball behavior with Custom POI files

I've been playing with custom POI files after reading Post # 1935-1938 way back in January '12 from DVWalker.

Several of them went well, then I started seeing this behavior: (posted on the Garmin POILoader forum)

I have created a half dozen *.gpi files with POILoader from *csv or *gpx files with a custom bitmap for each.

When I look for them in "Extras" on the Montana, they appear as originally named along with 6 instances of "Garmin", which has a single POI named "Poi" right at my house.
This POI is NOT in any of the original files, it's being created during the conversion to *gpi process.

I'm converting into a HDD folder, the GPS is not connected, so where is POI Loader getting that lat/long from?

I use special directories for POILoader data, only including one bitmap and one *.csv or *.gpx file at a time, so there is nothing else in there for the Loader to see.

When I look at the *gpi files with GPS Data Team's online editor, each *gpi file has as it's last entry the lat/long for my house, named as "Poi".

However, this POI does not show in the listings of that file when viewed on the Montana, i.e. "Arizona Rest Areas", it only shows up in a separate list called "Garmin" with only that one identical poi in it, "Garmin" being repeated six separate times.

Any of you gurus have an idea what's happening?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #6539
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
They also have a transparent version of just the trail maps, NWTrails, if you want to layer the trail information over another map, like City Navigator, etc...
Cool.....Thanks!

Jon...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #6540
shu

Oddometer: 968
I've had a Montana 600 for a couple of months now. It's working well- not too much trouble setting it up since I've read/skimmed this entire thread and most of the links that have been posted- Thanks for everyone's efforts.

I ran across this post (#4235, page 283) by TravellingStrom and didn't see any replies, but it's something I've been wondering about as well. Anybody know what the logic behind the order of listing is when you ask the Montana to do a CITY SEARCH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post

So, I am in southern Ireland and decide to head to Belfast, I type in Belfast for my CITY name and the first choice on the list is Belfast, in New Zealand, nearly 19,000km away, why would it not use the 2nd choice of Northern Ireland?

Cheers
TravellingStrom
I just did a similar Montana search sitting here at my computer for the town of Evergreen which is about 7 km from my house. The first Evergreen in my results list is Evergreen, NC (2405 km), the second in my list is Evergreen, CO (7.43 km).

................shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote