ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #3301
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,042
Had my Spot 2 for about 2 yrs IIRC. Lately it's been shutting off without warning. I'm guessing it's dying...

Been mounted to the bike for it's entire life with no crashes.

I've read about similar episodes on Amazon.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Guess I gotta buy a new one.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #3302
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Had my Spot 2 for about 2 yrs IIRC. Lately it's been shutting off without warning. I'm guessing it's dying...

Been mounted to the bike for it's entire life with no crashes.

I've read about similar episodes on Amazon.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Guess I gotta buy a new one.
Tried new Lithiums lately? Maybe the batteries are losing contact? Try stuffing an earplug in the battery case to see if it stops the batteries moving around.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #3303
H-Jay
Mo 2 C

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
I must confess I have not heard about Delrone's InReach before and after reading about it I am now officialy over the fence on which to choose. Okay, it is more expensive but the Iridium network should be superior, right? This is safety so the extra buck$ are not the biggest driver...

Which is best??? Any additional views?

I plan to buy over the next couple of days and have it delivered to my hotel during an upcoming business trip so I need to make up my mind quickly here...

Best Rafa
Regarding Spots working in South America, I used tracks all through Chile and Argentina with no problems. It even worked fin in Ushuaia. You may have already made your decision.

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog

Patagonia Bound Ride Report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420453

Alaska Ride Report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250239
H-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #3304
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Jay View Post
Regarding Spots working in South America, I used tracks all through Chile and Argentina with no problems. It even worked fin in Ushuaia. You may have already made your decision.
The southern most part of SA is in the "marginal" zone of coverage. That means it may work sometime, and not work other times. It depends on where the satellite is at the moment the SPOT transmitts.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #3305
HOFNAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Yet another SPOT/Spotwalla question...

OK, I'm at my wit's end here. I thought I did everything correctly, but apparently not, since I can't get my "test trip" using my SPOT to show up on the shared page I created on Spotwalla. Ugh! I know the device is working because the "test trip" is showing up on my account on the SPOT website.
I followed the directions on the Spotwalla website. I've opened an account, created a device, etc, etc,...However, when I check the "Trips" tab on Spotwalla it indicates that "No New Messages" are available and the map is blank. Again, I know I've done everything correctly using the SPOT device because I get the notifications via email/text message showing that I "Checked In" and also that I sent a "Tracking Point".

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful. Thank you.

Jesse
HOFNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #3306
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Have you sent a message to Jason at Spotwalla?

He is very helpful and quick to reply.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #3307
HOFNAR
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Have you sent a message to Jason at Spotwalla?

He is very helpful and quick to reply.
How do I get a message over to Jason? I didn't see a contact link for him on the Spotwalla website.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #3308
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...t-trip-manager

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #3309
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Tried new Lithiums lately? Maybe the batteries are losing contact? Try stuffing an earplug in the battery case to see if it stops the batteries moving around.
Brand new batteries....changed out several times...

Will try the earplug trick.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #3310
HOFNAR
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Got it all figured out. Thanks for the help.

Jesse
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #3311
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,984
I'm still learning to use my Spot 2.

I'm trying to use it to track my route in the woods, but I didn't pay for tracking. How often can I press the "Ok" button to mark my progress? It seems to flash for quite a while after I press it, and I can't wait 5-10 minutes each time I want to mark a location. I think I pressed it again, while it was flashing, and it made and second marker. Can it do that?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #3312
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

I'm trying to use it to track my route in the woods, but I didn't pay for tracking. How often can I press the "Ok" button to mark my progress? It seems to flash for quite a while after I press it, and I can't wait 5-10 minutes each time I want to mark a location. I think I pressed it again, while it was flashing, and it made and second marker. Can it do that?
I think it takes at least 15 or 20 minutes before you're clear to send another OK message. If you turn the unit off to stop an OK in progress, you might abort that signal. If you pressed again before it finished sending the first message, it will ignore you.

If tracking's that important to you, maybe you should buy it?

Edit: just checked the manual. The message cycle is 20 minutes.

"Leave the SPOT outdoors. The GPS indicator light blinks green as SPOT acquires a GPS fix. Once SPOT aquires your GPS location, the Message Sending light and GPS light will blink green in unison for ~15 seconds to notify you that your message is being transmitted with GPS location. The Message Sending light will continue to blink green over the remainder of the 20 minute message cycle and for one (1) hour after the end of the message cycle (this is to provide you with additional time to check if your most recent message was transmitted). The Check-In/OK function light will turn off once the message cycle is complete."

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:53 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #3313
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

Sounds as though you need a GPS that can mark lots of waypoints. Or if it's tracks you're after get a base model GPS to gather tracks, should cost about the same as a year's worth of SPOT tracking service.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #3314
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

If tracking's that important to you, maybe you should buy it?
."

Thanks for the info. I don't know how I managed to get 2 markers so close to each other.

I'd rather buy a GPS that tracks than pay for the Spot tracking. I'm just playing around with the Spot since I haven't bought a GPS yet. I think Spot tracking would be great if I was travelling and family/friends could track my progress, but I'm not travelling or going anywhere that would be interesting to anybody else. I'm just trying to figure out a maze of new & old logging trails that are in the 7500 acres of mountain forest where I ride & explore.

I've been researching GPS models and have decided on an Oregon 450 that's $200 refurbished from Garmin, but haven't been able to justify it quite yet. I'm still not quite convinced that I'll use it a lot, and I'm also having fun exploring "the hard way". It's sort of like a puzzle, and after it's solved the exploring part of the woods is over...So, in that sense I'm not really in a hurry. If I was surrounded by vast open spaces to explore in all directions, I know I would find the GPS a very useful & valuable tool.

I bought the Spot because I like to ride & explore alone, and even though it's only 15 minutes from home, there is plenty of potential for an emergency. Snakes, bears, & broken legs & such.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #3315
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
If you are riding in the woods alone...sounds like the SPOT is perfect ..but for your safety ie NO cell phone in many wooded areas. I like the tracking to update folks on your progress. Also good to have if you are unable to push SOS etc as at least they will have last tracking spot.

SPOTs are frankly not good for an accurate track picture as you only get a location every ten minutes. This is especially true if you are exploring and making short legs. Most any GPS will give you track locations frequently along your route to better show where you actually went for the whole trip.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote