ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,528
for mexico & ca bicimaps are the key & are routable
http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/LatAm_Eng.htm
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
d_mob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
nogales to sayulita is 3 days
w/ over nights in San Carlos and Mazatlan.

that part of Mex is boring however and hiway toll roads.
have you considered entering in Douglas and taking 17>14 or Rio Sonora route to Hermosillo? you could also bag san carlos and ride out and back east on 16. no time frame right?

on the way back west on 16 take 12 south and then head to Mazatlan.
other options are take 16 east and then hit copper canyon and the mtn road south to durango and then devil spine to maz or the alternative paved route that SR (live in mexico) know about and come out farther south.

either way you drop down to the coast at san blas exit ans then it's costal roads to sayulita. make sure to stop in chacala along the way and maybe spend a night!
Alright then...

How about enter through Douglas then head south on 17/117 to San Nicolas (bypass hwy 14 and Hermosillo). Then east on 16 to a small road that heads southeast (28.339286 -107.440066 - through San Juanito, east of Copper Canyon, Guachochi, Balleza) ending in Hidalgo del Parral. From there head south on 45 to Durango. Then from Durango over to coast and follow the rest of planned route.

Seems like essentially the same distance overall, but would take much longer due to roads, curves, etc, etc, etc... I'm assuming it would be MUCH, much better than the boring semi-coastal highways from Nogales to Mazatlan as planned before.

Thoughts?

PS... Thanks again for all your help! I'll owe you several beers and a meal after this. I have a HUGE map in front of me as we speak looking at routes alongside Google Maps and am using your advice while marking routes. :)
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,528
if your gonna do the mainland and not baja then
you'll enjoy that much more than 15/15D south plus the tolls start adding up real fast.

i then assume after Durango, you'll head into old town Mazatlan and find a place to stay for the next night. there is a guy on ADV who lives in Durango and another guy who has a rental in Maz

when you leave south from Maz, i'd pay for the toll road (15D -cuota) here as it's smooth and real fast concrete till you get off at the san blas exit & drop to the coast. make sure to fill up with gas as there is none on that section of toll road.

at that point you'll go through San Blas and you can check it out and stay if you want or continue south to Las Varas and then left on costal 200.

you see the right to Chacala after you leave Las Varas and by all means check it out and maybe spend a night here. Like i said this is the nicest beach in the whole region.

After that is maybe an hr to the turn to Sayulita. The Hotel Diamante - http://www.hoteldiamantesayulita.com.mx/ is the best hotel deal in town and last winter we convinced them to pave a ramp to their inner court yard so you can bring the bike in for the night. If you want to camp, the Cameron campground is around the corner with camping right at the beach, just be aware for gear security. If you do not camp here at least come for a drink as they have the coolest beach bar. After the run down to Sayulita most stay and chill for a few day and recharge. You may end up staying for a long time as it's that sweet of a beach town.

i could go on and on about things i've learned & how things work (it's 180 degrees opposite of the US) living south of the border but maybe latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
Alright then...

How about enter through Douglas then head south on 17/117 to San Nicolas (bypass hwy 14 and Hermosillo). Then east on 16 to a small road that heads southeast (28.339286 -107.440066 - through San Juanito, east of Copper Canyon, Guachochi, Balleza) ending in Hidalgo del Parral. From there head south on 45 to Durango. Then from Durango over to coast and follow the rest of planned route.

Seems like essentially the same distance overall, but would take much longer due to roads, curves, etc, etc, etc... I'm assuming it would be MUCH, much better than the boring semi-coastal highways from Nogales to Mazatlan as planned before.

Thoughts?



PS... Thanks again for all your help! I'll owe you several beers and a meal after this. I have a HUGE map in front of me as we speak looking at routes alongside Google Maps and am using your advice while marking routes. :)
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
d_mob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 225
Eakins, I was in Denver BMW the other day saying hello to my buddy Tally (also picking up a steal on a Remus for the F800) and he mentioned that you guys have a movie premiere coming up there. I forgot the time/date of the deal. Can you remind me? Also, will you be there? It would be great to put a face to the name...
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
d_mob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
Eakins, I was in Denver BMW the other day saying hello to my buddy Tally (also picking up a steal on a Remus for the F800) and he mentioned that you guys have a movie premiere coming up there. I forgot the time/date of the deal. Can you remind me? Also, will you be there? It would be great to put a face to the name...
Answered my own question... Looking forward to this event. Hope to meet you there in person.

FILM PREMIER- Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route

The guys at Backcountry Discovery Routes have just completed their documentary about their expedition across the state of Colorado and we are a key sponsor! BMW of Denver will be the VERY FIRST to offer you a chance to see the film and purchase the Butler Map and/or DVD. Sat., Jan 19th, 2013. RSVP NOW AND RESERVE YOUR SEAT AND A COPY OF THE MAP/DVD TODAY! more info
Where: BMW of Denver
When: Saturday, January 19 - 5pm-7pm
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
d_mob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 225
PS... I've started the blog which I'll be using to keep friends and family up to speed. It is a work in progress, but would love feedback. www.somedaynevermaybe.com

So far I have some info on me and the trip, some links to friends and products, and updates thus far to get everyone up to speed.

Still haven't really planned any of S.A. portion of trip and would love any add'l feedback on safety, borders, camping info, route planning, etc, etc, etc...

Thanks!
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
WilderRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
PS... I've started the blog which I'll be using to keep friends and family up to speed. It is a work in progress, but would love feedback. www.somedaynevermaybe.com

So far I have some info on me and the trip, some links to friends and products, and updates thus far to get everyone up to speed.

Still haven't really planned any of S.A. portion of trip and would love any add'l feedback on safety, borders, camping info, route planning, etc, etc, etc...

Thanks!

Hey, great start to the blog. I will be sure to be following it. It should be a fantastic trip.
__________________
RISK: "The loftier your goals, the higher your risk, the greater your glory."
WilderRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014