Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #15196
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,709
Question Question for the New Year...

~

Ya' know... Now that's a brand new year there's a question I've been mulling over in my head. The Yamaha Super Tenere has been out and available here in the USA for nearly 18 months now, and there are quite a few S-10 riders out there who have racked up fairly substantial mileages during that time. The Super Tenere has been out in the field in Europe, South Africa, Australia, and a few other spots around the globe for a lot longer than that... Nearly 3 years now, right? And I know some of the riders in those areas have even more miles/kilometers on their Super Ten's...

So the question is this...

Have any of you folks out there, anywhere in the world, heard of any major failures of a Super Tenere?

I'm not talking about crash damage, or busted sumps from poor skid plates (or no skid plates). No, I mean any *MAJOR*, catastrophic failures - the kind that means the bikes goes home on the tow truck or a trailer. Engine component failures, blown up final drives, exploding gearboxes, fragged clutches, busted frames, snapped swingarms, etc., etc., etc.

I mean any at all... I'm sure if any inmates here had suffered one of these big failures it would already be posted about, but have any of you even *HEARD* of any kind of major mechanical failures?

Thanks!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #15197
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,734
These

Arn't BMWs.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #15198
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Ya' know... Now that's a brand new year there's a question I've been mulling over in my head.
So the question is this...

Have any of you folks out there, anywhere in the world, heard of any major failures of a Super Tenere?

Dallara

~
I wonder the same thing, no failures or major issues

What disappoints me is Yamaha could be using this for publicity but they don't do anything, nothing, zilts

You don't see any adds on TV I subscribe to a few mags, never see and add from Yamaha (about the Tenere) do see other adds for quads and snowmobiles but nothing for adventure bikes.

Mean time we have guys going around the world on BMWs and there's links to them on Facebook, websites, they visit all the BMW dealers along the way and they advertise how great BMW is

BMW gets a lot of publicity from these riders, I follow lots of riders and I don't follow a single one riding a Yamaha

Why doesn't Yamaha help people? maybe they could push Yamaha dealers to sponsor riders, they could help with some money too.

I think Nick Sanders is the only rider I know doing something big with Yamaha.

I just read a few bloggers that arrived in Ushuaia and all the posted pictures are all BMW's
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #15199
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
k60 15lbs front.. most of the legal roads you dont have to air down. the ones that you do have to air down are to long and deep to enjoy on a big bike
Got it- thanks. Probably just need to get another little bike to be safe
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #15200
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,709
Question Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT;20390231[B
][/B]Arn't BMWs.

What's an "arn't"?

Just kidding... I know the S-10 is no BMW. That's the point...

I've enjoyed every one of the trouble-free 26,000+ miles I've got on my Super Tenere the past 17 months, and I'm looking forward to thousands and thousands of miles more!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #15201
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotime View Post
kenda big block
What kind of mileage you getting on those?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #15202
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I already have a cabln, we just need an early snow melt.
Winter around colorado looks non existant this year, so melt may not be a big deal. I remember going over the 4wd roads up there in August back in the 80s and many of the passes were snowed in all summer. I doubt an issue this year. Also in years past you could about depend on a big thunderstorm virtually every day and cold 40 degree rain to go with it. This doesn't seem to happen often anymore. Have a good time there guys, beautiful area there.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #15203
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroo View Post
yeah probably i do sell the 690 i love the bike but i cant afford to have two bike When the first child is coming and with all ive read about s10 it seems to fit me :)

no chain
cheep to own
and can do soft offroad :)

after all the s10 is more motorcycle bike than 690 ;)

im not getting old just more sensitive....well ;)
hopefully some i can do some wheelie with s10 too ;)
Are you in the states? Upper midwest by chance?

I'm looking to downsize from my 640A plus I need a new project.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #15204
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,860
Quote:
~

I'm not talking about crash damage, or busted sumps from poor skid plates (or no skid plates). No, I mean any *MAJOR*, catastrophic failures - the kind that means the bikes goes home on the tow truck or a trailer. Engine component failures, blown up final drives, exploding gearboxes, fragged clutches, busted frames, snapped swingarms, etc., etc., etc.

I mean any at all... I'm sure if any inmates here had suffered one of these big failures it would already be posted about, but have any of you even *HEARD* of any kind of major mechanical failures?

Thanks!

Dallara

~
I sniff around all the time too. Not aware of anthing other than the spoke, sump stuff.

No one has added anything to this bitch list in a long time either.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...809307&page=11
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #15205
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Cuz the bike is bad ass ! Friend of mine just turned over 70K miles.. When he shows up at the Colorado event he is thinking he should have about 105K + The bike is a 'Diesel'
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #15206
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
~

~
I dind't hear about major failures but there are some annoying ones that Yamaha must solve:

- Hard starting
- Loosing spokes
- Bending wheels

But in general this is an amazing bike
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #15207
Xeroo
sweeet!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
Are you in the states? Upper midwest by chance?

I'm looking to downsize from my 640A plus I need a new project.
no im not

im from Sweden
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #15208
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
I wonder the same thing, no failures or major issues

What disappoints me is Yamaha could be using this for publicity but they don't do anything, nothing, zilts

You don't see any adds on TV I subscribe to a few mags, never see and add from Yamaha (about the Tenere) do see other adds for quads and snowmobiles but nothing for adventure bikes.

Mean time we have guys going around the world on BMWs and there's links to them on Facebook, websites, they visit all the BMW dealers along the way and they advertise how great BMW is

BMW gets a lot of publicity from these riders, I follow lots of riders and I don't follow a single one riding a Yamaha

Why doesn't Yamaha help people? maybe they could push Yamaha dealers to sponsor riders, they could help with some money too.

I think Nick Sanders is the only rider I know doing something big with Yamaha.

I just read a few bloggers that arrived in Ushuaia and all the posted pictures are all BMW's
You right. BMW invest a huge amount in publicity to promote the GS. Probably that is one of the reasons the sales of this bike are far away to the others.

I think the S10 sales are marginal to Yamaha, and they would be like this forever: as you say no adverts, not much helping to adventure riders, nor events to promote it… this is not the way to increase sales.

But I must say that Yamaha Spain helped quite a lot to my dealer to sell us two bikes at a good price. We are 10 riders (most in GS) who do an annual off road trip with a good press coverage. Thank to this now there are two S10 in the group breaking the BMW monopoly.

The strange thing is after the trip we offered tons of pictures and videos to Yamaha and they don’t use it at all…
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #15209
hayfarmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Same thing here in Australia.....Yamaha do no promotional work on the S10. It pisses me right off that they have a top product and wont sell it.

Brian
hayfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #15210
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I dind't hear about major failures but there are some annoying ones that Yamaha must solve:

- Hard starting
- Loosing spokes
- Bending wheels

But in general this is an amazing bike
YAMAHA official response...

------------------------
Dear Mr Jaumev,

Please find below our official response to your complaints...

1) Loosing Spokes. This is generally the result of crazy owners and people not reading the owners manual.
2) Bending Wheels, Again we refer you to the above with reference to crazy owners.
3) Hard Starting... Please accept our apologies. We were unaware of this until last week because we don't read forums. However we wish to inform you we are working hard to match the competition in every way. Next model we have already developed better start system, exploding shaft drives, cracked frames, "service required" light, DES errors, faulty fuel caps, rear brakes that don't work, swelling gas tanks and 40% higher price
. I hope all our hard work will be to you satisfaction.

With humblest regards
YAMAHA design team.

-------------------

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote