ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Crusty old Steed or Shiny Repop Resto?
Crusty Patinaed Rider? 63 59.43%
Shiny Repop Resto? 13 12.26%
I'm gonna ride the fuck out of it! 46 43.40%
I'm gonna trailer it out to show it off. Maybe I'll win a trophy. 1 0.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #46
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
I love the look of a well used but well cared for machine.
Be it a camera, car or motorcycle.
Showing brass as we used to say.

I like period race bikes in as raced condition.

I dislike 11point restorations. Where the finish is brough superior on a triumph cub.
And thank dog the fauxtina trend has mostly passed.

But thats the great thing about this deal we all can like and have different.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #47
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopskipjump View Post
Give an example!
It's currently on my bench. ;) I'll post up when I have it done. Build thread is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845041

My goal is simply to make the bike roadworthy/reliable and fix any obvious issues. Restoration is not the goal.
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #48
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,766
Of course this is all personal and subjective... It IS interesting to get everyone's take on full resto, running mods, patina, etc.- and I completely enjoy reading everyone's posts here.

My main "beef" (I guess you may call it) with restorations is parts origins. NEW parts origins, specifically. Having said that, this point would really be my sole argument against spending mad amounts of $$$ on a restored bike. Like many other things, I can only imagine the Chinese are exporting Brit Bike bits, and I know for sure the Indian after market is strong, as I know at least one Englishman who has bought from an Indian parts supplier. This makes sense, considering the English occupation/colonization etc. of India.

Yet, I wonder at this point in time,
A: how much trouble it would be,
and
B: what would it cost
to do an all USA, (and/or) Canadian, (and/or) British parts ONLY restoration?

Is such a thing even possible? Where are the highest quality repop parts coming from?
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
Of course this is all personal and subjective... It IS interesting to get everyone's take on full resto, running mods, patina, etc.- and I completely enjoy reading everyone's posts here.

My main "beef" (I guess you may call it) with restorations is parts origins. NEW parts origins, specifically. Having said that, this point would really be my sole argument against spending mad amounts of $$$ on a restored bike. Like many other things, I can only imagine the Chinese are exporting Brit Bike bits, and I know for sure the Indian after market is strong, as I know at least one Englishman who has bought from an Indian parts supplier. This makes sense, considering the English occupation/colonization etc. of India.

Yet, I wonder at this point in time,
A: how much trouble it would be,
and
B: what would it cost
to do an all USA, (and/or) Canadian, (and/or) British parts ONLY restoration?

Is such a thing even possible? Where are the highest quality repop parts coming from?
Over the years I've seen crap components manufactured in every part of the world, and likewise I've seen high quality components also come from every part of the world.

Personally, I'm less concerned with the country of origin, and more concerned with the quality of the vendor's reputation. A reputable dealer or parts supplier will endeavor to supply good quality parts, and will stand behind them if they happen to fail prematurely.

My $0.02

YMMV etc

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #50
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Over the years I've seen crap components manufactured in every part of the world, and likewise I've seen high quality components also come from every part of the world.

Personally, I'm less concerned with the country of origin, and more concerned with the quality of the vendor's reputation. A reputable dealer or parts supplier will endeavor to supply good quality parts, and will stand behind them if they happen to fail prematurely.

My $0.02

YMMV etc
Yeah, I'm with you there... no matter where it comes from as long as it is of good quality... I guess I was stereotyping- forgive the indiscretion.
BUT parts quality still remains a BIG question for me (IF I were to consider buying a resto).
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #51
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
Yeah, I'm with you there... no matter where it comes from as long as it is of good quality... I guess I was stereotyping- forgive the indiscretion.
BUT parts quality still remains a BIG question for me (IF I were to consider buying a resto).
I hear you too. It would be much more convenient if there were some sure-fire method of determining quality levels before laying down our hard-earned cash. As things stand, I haven't found it yet either . . .

I completely restored my R90S almost seven years ago, and in the course of the restoration I bought stuff via the interweb from Australia, the UK, the USA, Germany and the Netherlands. Some stuff was OEM, while other stuff was aftermarket such as S/S mufflers, the seat, alloy indicator bodies, S/S indicator mounts, enamel badges, S/S wheel spokes etc. I found that everything fitted together and worked as advertised. By sticking to mainstream vendors and brand-names where possible, I believe that most of the risk was averted.

And, more importantly, I can say that I'm still very happy with the quality of the after-market stuff seven years later.

Incidentally, although I have already stated my preference for original, well-maintained machines, I will also say that there is immense satisfaction to be derived from taking a fully worn-out and completely dismantled basket case and returning it to the road. It is also very rewarding to clock up the miles on a "nut'n'bolt" restored bike. But for that bike to also then be impartially awarded at a classic bike show or featured in a bike magazine article can be only described as the cream on the cake.

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #52
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,129
Restored mechanically, frame repainted, engine cases cleaned and shiny, seat recovered, but the original paint... can't bring myself to touch it.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
I hear you too. It would be much more convenient if there were some sure-fire method of determining quality levels before laying down our hard-earned cash. As things stand, I haven't found it yet either . . .

I completely restored my R90S almost seven years ago, and in the course of the restoration I bought stuff via the interweb from Australia, the UK, the USA, Germany and the Netherlands. Some stuff was OEM, while other stuff was aftermarket such as S/S mufflers, the seat, alloy indicator bodies, S/S indicator mounts, enamel badges, S/S wheel spokes etc. I found that everything fitted together and worked as advertised. By sticking to mainstream vendors and brand-names where possible, I believe that most of the risk was averted.

And, more importantly, I can say that I'm still very happy with the quality of the after-market stuff seven years later.

Incidentally, although I have already stated my preference for original, well-maintained machines, I will also say that there is immense satisfaction to be derived from taking a fully worn-out and completely dismantled basket case and returning it to the road. It is also very rewarding to clock up the miles on a "nut'n'bolt" restored bike. But for that bike to also then be impartially awarded at a classic bike show or featured in a bike magazine article can be only described as the cream on the cake.
I'm doing an R90/6 (74) and using oem parts. There will be no way that I ever get even close to what I'll have in it if I ever sell but hopefully I'll get 12 years or so worth of pleasure in riding it, and the satisfaction of riding something that you don't see much around here. I'm only doing two things that are non original and I'm keeping oem parts for the next guy if he wants to return it to stock. (ToasterTan top brace, and r90s tank badges )
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #54
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
I'm doing an R90/6 (74) and using oem parts. There will be no way that I ever get even close to what I'll have in it if I ever sell but hopefully I'll get 12 years or so worth of pleasure in riding it, and the satisfaction of riding something that you don't see much around here. I'm only doing two things that are non original and I'm keeping oem parts for the next guy if he wants to return it to stock. (ToasterTan top brace, and r90s tank badges )
Sweet. Great bike! Got any pix?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #55
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
My '83 Sportster is sort of "restored" with old stock parts, but isn't entirely correct for the year/model. It's a rider, though, not a show bike. I've had really good luck finding old OEM parts on eBay, though. The stock exhaust, correct gas tank, front & rear fenders, NOS tach kit, etc. are all eBay finds. The shocks are from a newer model, and the seat and passenger pegs are OEM options. I have a correct chain guard (black) and license plate bracket I'll be installing soon. The fork gaitors are not correct - they're from a Honda GB500, but I like the look.... It qualifies for a "Vintage Vehicle" plate this year.

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote