Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,128
Have you done the Sidestand Relocation Bracket? Its a MUST
Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #47
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,185
Not yet ~ the info is on the fridge . Just letting the wallet recover a bit , it's still a little weak from last months work out .

Thank you for the heads up as I only JUST heard about the side stand upgrade !!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess the BLACK DOG is the way to go ???
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #48
two trackin fool
Scott

I'm confused !

Are you saying relocation or brace ?

Relocation to the foot peg ? If so do you have a good pic ?
I just found one kinda pricy but the pic sucks !!! I'd like to see something before I purchase .........
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #49
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I'll toss my $0.02 in considering I am an X A990 owner.

First of all the A990 is an impressive machine, but it is quarky, and it is maintenance intensive. I could look past most of the quarks. The maintenance eventually did me in. Even doing all my own work, the problem I was having is, time spent working on vs time spent riding.

Maybe my Victory spoiled me, with 15 min oil changes and most other maintenance being quick and easy. But I finally got tired of working on the KTM. It reminded my of my first car, I was always working on it. If it where a project bike, then it would not have been a big deal but it wasn't, it was my daily commuter and weekend warrior bike.

After a lot of wrenching on just maintenance items, then later a bad gasket forcing an oil leak, I decided enough was enough and traded it in for a Yamaha Super Tenere.

I don't do much off roading, and most of what I do ride off road is dirt and gravel roads. I never pushed the A990 off road, and I will likely never push the Tenere, but I have found the Tenere a much easier bike to own, almost as fast, and much better at tearing up the road.

Would I own an A990 again? Maybe, but this time as a toy only and not as a daily rider.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #50
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
I'm confused !

Are you saying relocation or brace ?

Relocation to the foot peg ? If so do you have a good pic ?
I just found one kinda pricy but the pic sucks !!! I'd like to see something before I purchase .........
http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...90-detail.html

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #51
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:

If so do you have a good pic ?
I just found one kinda pricy but the pic sucks !!! I'd like to see something before I purchase ......

Oh, you're going to get me started.

I'm always astonished to see the terrible product photography vendors are using in this industry. Some great products they design, sweat, build only to put them out there like they're crap. A couple of companies irritated me so much I reshot their product and sent the image to them just because it pissed me off to see their efforts wasted.

Good work represented so poorly. And you know their sales suffer for it. But there's no convincing, I've tried.

(ok, rant over).

Here's an image that might help your decision on one vendor's product. Might not be your choice, but at least you'll have an idea of what's included for the money:

(image not retouched- just a snappy)

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #52
two trackin fool
Scott

That's the brace I was thinking about ,, Looks like it has a little more support than the other that's out there .

Then there is the relocation bracket by the other company that moves it too the foot peg I guess BUT the picture they have on the sight really blows & it's pretty pricy !

I don't mind spending the coin were needed but if not needed I'd rather spend it somewhere else . I have a lot of farkles to buy ! Starting most needed first kinda thing ......

and to think I had the KLR done
Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #53
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I don't mind spending the coin were needed but if not needed I'd rather spend it somewhere else . I have a lot of farkles to buy ! Starting most needed first kinda thing ......

and to think I had the KLR done
The side stand re-locator is an absolute must have, way better than cracking your case.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #54
two trackin fool
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
The side stand re-locator is an absolute must have, way better than cracking your case.
I would just like to see what I'm getting first
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #55
two trackin fool
Scott

Quote:
I'll toss my $0.02 in considering I am an X A990 owner.

First of all the A990 is an impressive machine, but it is quarky, and it is maintenance intensive. I could look past most of the quarks. The maintenance eventually did me in. Even doing all my own work, the problem I was having is, time spent working on vs time spent riding.

Maybe my Victory spoiled me, with 15 min oil changes and most other maintenance being quick and easy. But I finally got tired of working on the KTM. It reminded my of my first car, I was always working on it. If it where a project bike, then it would not have been a big deal but it wasn't, it was my daily commuter and weekend warrior bike.

After a lot of wrenching on just maintenance items, then later a bad gasket forcing an oil leak, I decided enough was enough and traded it in for a Yamaha Super Tenere.

I don't do much off roading, and most of what I do ride off road is dirt and gravel roads. I never pushed the A990 off road, and I will likely never push the Tenere, but I have found the Tenere a much easier bike to own, almost as fast, and much better at tearing up the road.

Would I own an A990 again? Maybe, but this time as a toy only and not as a daily rider.
My 2cents
I can't speek to the 990 yet as I haven't enough miles yet too . But in my experience I haven't had a toy/daily driver yet that has not needed to be tinkered with . The '09 (bought in '10) KLR I just traded in with 30,000 miles for the A990 included .
I'm sure the '10 A990 will have a much better smile return factor for me .
Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #56
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My 2cents
I can't speek to the 990 yet as I haven't enough miles yet too . But in my experience I haven't had a toy/daily driver yet that has not needed to be tinkered with . The '09 (bought in '10) KLR I just traded in with 30,000 miles for the A990 included .
I'm sure the '10 A990 will have a much better smile return factor for me .

Tinker I can handle. quarky requiring too much work required is another thing. Trust me, I would have rather spent my money on something other than a new bike.

But good luck, I am sure the A990 will be very impressive compared to the KLR.

I would consider some must haves as the side stand relocator, rally fan, and cooler thermo switch, if your A990 doesn't already have them. Also keep it on a battery tender when not riding, it takes a lot of juice to get the A990 started. If the battery does not have enough juice, it will crank as normal but not start.

The KTM heated grips are a very nice addition, and not too expensive.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #57
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 360
My 2c..

07 990 Adventure w 51k miles. Ridden hard but maintained religiously. Pretty rad that shes always come back for more if you ask me...

Nothing has broken or failed due to the fault of the bike. Solid bike as a commuter AND blasting offroad.

I guess everyone has their stories but take a little longer to change the oil with a smile on my face...
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #58
two trackin fool
Scott

Quote:
Tinker I can handle. quarky requiring too much work required is another thing. Trust me, I would have rather spent my money on something other than a new bike.

But good luck, I am sure the A990 will be very impressive compared to the KLR.

I would consider some must haves as the side stand relocator, rally fan, and cooler thermo switch, if your A990 doesn't already have them. Also keep it on a battery tender when not riding, it takes a lot of juice to get the A990 started. If the battery does not have enough juice, it will crank as normal but not start.

The KTM heated grips are a very nice addition, and not too expensive.
Yea I just finished wiring in an extra fuse panel & heated grips. They are a must if you wanna extend your season at all.
I plan on something with the side stand but not sure what yet , relocater or brace .
I have read about the fan switch but haven't riddin in warm weather yet to see that . I kinda like where it's at so far .
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #59
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yea I just finished wiring in an extra fuse panel & heated grips. They are a must if you wanna extend your season at all.
I plan on something with the side stand but not sure what yet , relocater or brace .
I have read about the fan switch but haven't riddin in warm weather yet to see that . I kinda like where it's at so far .
My 990 would overheat in Seattle stop and go traffic in anything over 70F. KTM suggested I removed the front radiator cover. That is not a solution. The second fan kit is cheap compared to repairing or replacing an overheated engine.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #60
two trackin fool
Scott

Quote:
My 990 would overheat in Seattle stop and go traffic in anything over 70F. KTM suggested I removed the front radiator cover. That is not a solution. The second fan kit is cheap compared to repairing or replacing an overheated engine.
OH I agree !

So did the lower temp fan switch help at all ? I already put temp stickers on both sides of the rad so I can watch it !
I do get into traffic from time to time ....