Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #106
RSC E
ADVWNT2B

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
I havent heard of other KTM owners needing to do that for projectors...is that with a HID? 35W or 50W?
In theory a HID produces more light because it produces less heat (incandescents are about the least efficient electric light with halogens not much better) and it was most likely a 55/60W bulb that came out of the headlight...
I know it sounds crazy. It's only a 35w. It got hot enough to deform the upper bezel. Did you ever burn stuff as a kid outside with a magnifying glass?
RSC E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #107
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 970
Hmmm...

Anyone else want to chime in here? Other guys have installed these projectors inside KTM headlight shells and reported no heating problems. Some guys have even painted the reflectors black, which I would think would make them more susceptible to absorbing heat. RSC, any ideas why your setup could be heating up so much? Do you have a 8000k bulb or a dirty or colored headlight cover (thinking of anything that might hold the heat in...) I read some car threads of guys having problems with projectors inside "smoked" lights, but had very few hits on projectors + melting.
Maybe there was a defective run of reflectors...seems I read of some inmates fitting Euro lights and being disappointed that the insides were melted/damaged after a while. I cant remember if this was with Halogens or HIDs for sure, but I think the latter. I have been running a 35W HID in my stock US reflector for about 6000 miles with no issues (and no huge improvement on the light quality - reason for buying the projector)

RoundOz screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 01:38 AM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #108
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Anyone else want to chime in here? Other guys have installed these projectors inside KTM headlight shells and reported no heating problems. Some guys have even painted the reflectors black, which I would think would make them more susceptible to absorbing heat. RSC, any ideas why your setup could be heating up so much? Do you have a 8000k bulb or a dirty or colored headlight cover (thinking of anything that might hold the heat in...) I read some car threads of guys having problems with projectors inside "smoked" lights, but had very few hits on projectors + melting.
Maybe there was a defective run of reflectors...seems I read of some inmates fitting Euro lights and being disappointed that the insides were melted/damaged after a while. I cant remember if this was with Halogens or HIDs for sure, but I think the latter. I have been running a 35W HID in my stock US reflector for about 6000 miles with no issues (and no huge improvement on the light quality - reason for buying the projector)
Is RSC running both projectors simultaneously?

Defective reflectors? It sounded like RSC was talking about the plastic portion that holds the condenser lens. The rest of the projector is metal.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #109
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
Is RSC running both projectors simultaneously?

Defective reflectors? It sounded like RSC was talking about the plastic portion that holds the condenser lens. The rest of the projector is metal.
Yeah I was thinking of putting an LED driving light in the top position, but have reservations now, considering LEDs need a big heat sink to protect the driver electronics...

ULTRA - care to share dimensions or a template of your brackets? Maybe getting rid of the OEM reflector is the best choice...less things to melt! I know the attachment points might be different for an adventure, but the rest of the sizes should interchange.

RoundOz screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:39 AM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #110
oilrecycler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Well I'm pretty good at figuring out what not to do. If you have a convection oven, At 200 Celcius the clear plastic cover bubbles into a nice translucent white at about 5 minutes. The whole assembly was so hot it felt like a gumby toy. Does anyone have a spare headlight assembly for round two?
oilrecycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #111
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
I just went an entirely different direction, 100 watts of single emitter LEDs

www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #112
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
I just went an entirely different direction, 100 watts of single emitter LEDs
Well, (wiping hands on shop towel) that ought to do it..

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #113
gbx2001
Geophiz

Oddometer: 97
Since 200C = 392F, your oven might have been "a tad" hotter than oven temps mentioned in most other posts in this thread. Hope you find a spare headlight assembly cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilrecycler View Post
Well I'm pretty good at figuring out what not to do. If you have a convection oven, At 200 Celcius the clear plastic cover bubbles into a nice translucent white at about 5 minutes. The whole assembly was so hot it felt like a gumby toy. Does anyone have a spare headlight assembly for round two?
gbx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #114
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

An update...I ended up with a 35w hid morimoto in the lower and an advmonster model 30 led in the top position with an extra heatsink (an aluminum donut) on the outside of the shell. It all works well and have done about 2000 miles with it. I am going in a different direction with my lights so if anyone wants to purchase the complete setup it will be available in a couple of weeks. Also have another headlight shell with a bixenon bulb and ballast etc. PM me to discuss...
Mods let me know if I need to repost this elsewhere...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk