Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #4126
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra View Post
Yea, a $500 knife I'd be afraid to use.
Nah, get one of these:

Chris Reeves Sebenza. As hard a worker as you could ask for and at $410 you damned sure are going to know where it is at all times. I naturally pat my right pocket now to make sure my knife is there. Don't even notice I'm doing it most of the time - at least until the pat reveals no knife.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #4127
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,446
It depends on what your priorities are. I'm personally, not into "tactical" knives. I like a classic blade shape that isn't too bulky, stays sharp, and is easy to sharpen.

If you don't mind a slow-opening, manually-locking blade, and want to feel like landed French gentry, get an Opinel. They offer a pretty wide variety of styles and both carbon and stainless steel blades. Starting at $20 for the plain handle and carbon steel blade. Lots of great blade value for "disposable" blade money.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/

If you want a slim, locking folder with G10 handles, I've been very very pleased with my Kershaw Skyline, which is Made-In-USA. Be aware that some of their products are Made-in-China, and have inferior blade metallurgy. The MSRP is $79, but street price is under $45. Unfortunately, like a number of MFGs, their site is not forthcoming about which products are off-shore.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/skyline
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #4128
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
I seem to be on a loosing streak. Loosing daily carry knives. I have some nice knives, but can't justify an expensive daily. Can you guys recommend something under maybe $40, preferably with a clip, with a blade around 3".
The handle on my cheap Smith & Wesson broke. Guess it was too cheap. I can't remember which brand was preferred, but it was Spyderco or Benchmade.
I really like my sogzilla.

I carry the "large", its got a largish blade but not too bad at 3.8". $33.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #4129
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Kershaw Leek?
I have two of them and have had many and love the Leek.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #4130
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
I seem to be on a loosing streak. Loosing daily carry knives. I have some nice knives, but can't justify an expensive daily. Can you guys recommend something under maybe $40, preferably with a clip, with a blade around 3".
The handle on my cheap Smith & Wesson broke. Guess it was too cheap. I can't remember which brand was preferred, but it was Spyderco or Benchmade.
Pretty much ANY Kershaw from Walmart.....And some gerbers.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #4131
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Pretty much ANY Kershaw from Walmart.....And some gerbers.
Ive bought a few Kershaws from woot.com and have been really impressed with their durability, they are a little heavy though. I think i have a tremor (giant knife), a clash, the little lockback (love that knife and wish it came in a 3" version) and a scallion.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #4132
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Many of my contemporaries are under the delusion that my daily carry sogzilla is, um, frightening. They don't have an issue with knives, so I'm thinking about mixing in a more classic gentleman's knives like the Buck Hunter.

So what are your favourite knives in this style, under $60 street price.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #4133
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,125
Funny thing about the Buck folding hunter

I've have one since the '70s. Still have it. But the edge it came with was just plain stupid. The old ad for this knife pictured it cutting a bolt using a hammer. Well I never tried that, but the edge it had wasn't much better than bolt cutters, so maybe it could.
As I live less than 10 minutes from Gerber I stopped in one day & begged them to put a proper edge on it for me. Being an "Off brand" it took some pleading. The lady helping me called a technician up & I showed him the problem. He took the knife away & returned a few minutes later with a better bevel to the edge & proceeded to shave his arm hair with it. THANK YOU GERBER.

I now have five Gerbers
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #4134
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,898
This was posted on the 1st:

I found it interesting, but part of that may have been that I knew Niels about 10 years ago. Didn't know he was into blacksmithing... perhaps he wasn't, then.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #4135
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
This was posted on the 1st:

I found it interesting, but part of that may have been that I knew Niels about 10 years ago. Didn't know he was into blacksmithing... perhaps he wasn't, then.
I know the guy on the Bladesmith Forum. Niels does nice work.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #4136
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I really like my sogzilla.

I carry the "large", its got a largish blade but not too bad at 3.8". $33.
I'm a huge SOG fan. I carry the camo flash II not serated, and also an SOG powerlock multi-tool daily.
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #4137
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 942
What a great video. Reminds me of my early years starting out with all manual machines. Every step calculated and measured..just wonderful.
Of course today I would pull my hair out just thinking about making one item that took that long.

Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #4138
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Many of my contemporaries are under the delusion that my daily carry sogzilla is, um, frightening. They don't have an issue with knives, so I'm thinking about mixing in a more classic gentleman's knives like the Buck Hunter.

That's funny - I just ordered one of these for that exact same reason. I also have a SOG Mini Fielder that was really inexpensive and fills that "non-frightening" role. Nice little knife.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #4139
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #4140
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:

Those Bucks weigh a ton. I don't think it'd work in a pocket for me. I got rid of all my "tactical" folders and went back to traditional. I carry a Victorinox SAK, Case Sodbuster, Case Trapper, or Russel stag "Barlow". Then I augment with a 3-5" fixed bladed knife either on belt or stuck in the right-side leg pocket of carpenter's pants.

Motomantra - Good story about Gerber. I used to collect them when they were USA made.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: