Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #61
2WheelsOnly
woodsrider

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2speed View Post
Tubalcain on youtube. All you ever want to know about basic machining.
Thanks for the tip. I did a search and found this great reference page listing all of his videos.

http://www.neme-s.org/Tubalcain/machine_shop_tips.htm
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #62
Kannonball8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Does anyone here use a Smithy 3-in-1 machine or Shopmaster Bridge Mill? I realize that these are not good machines for real precision or production work but one of them might work for someone like me who wants to learn and doesn't have the space or budget for real production quality equipment. I expect I could use a lathe and mill combo to make things like tools, bushings, spacers and verious odds and ends I always seem to need around the shop. Looks like a mid level Smithy would cost around $2700 w/ some basic tooling and the Bridge Mill is about $1000 more. Any experience with either of these?
Thanks,
Bruce
Ural Patrol-T
Triumph Tiger 800 & Ural-T (wife's)
Kannonball8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #63
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
My experience with all in one machines for woodworking is that they are compromises everywhere. If you have $3000 to spend you can buy two real machines if you shop around.

Believe me, you'll outgrow one of those hobby machines quickly

Having a real lathe that uses standard tool is a huge plus. I learned on a big enco and I had never made a chip in my life. I wish I had better instruction but it's not terribly hard to get the basics. A real machine is so much heavier and cuts better because everything is solid. I think it allows you to learn faster too.

If I were you I'd buy a $1000 american machine that is tooled and learn the basics. Once you've used it you'll have a better sense to sell it and go bigger or what to shop for in a milling machine like a bridgeport or clone.

If you buy right you won't lose a penny these machines don't depreciate in a home shop setting. A smitty will though so def buy one used.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #64
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannonball8 View Post
Does anyone here use a Smithy 3-in-1 machine or Shopmaster Bridge Mill?
+1 on what Sailah said.

We use a Smithy at the science museum where I work, I've seen it converted for milling once in the two+ years I've been there. I would not buy one. The tail stock has very short travel, one of many things that bugs me about it. It's better than nothing, but, if I was going to spend 2700 on my own shop, I'd get each tool separately. On the plus side, Smithy parts are available when it breaks and customer service is decent.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #65
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,326
Anyone else practically giving away a small lathe? I would have jumped all ove that Enco. My little atlas 618 is cute, but I have to borrow a bigger machine far too often. Here in AZ, SB lathes are rare or super expensive.
Looking at 10 & 11" imports out of necessity...
Old 06-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #66
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,443
Trust me: if you're using it at all and the Atlas is too small, spend the money and time moving up to a 14--or preferably--a 16" lathe.

To hold most of what you're probalby wanting to work on, you need something that will take an 8" chuck. That generally means a machine with 16" swing.

The 14" manual lathe (and 6" chuck) we have at work is a tad too small to hold things around 2" in diameter. Such is the nature of tooling and workholding. Yeah, you can always make soft jaws to hold larger parts on a 6" chuck but, that gets old quickly.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #67
4play
Next?

I was a machihist in my past life & I understand what you're saying. Used lathes in that size range around here very pricey or completely clapped out.
For my limited amount of money, space and mostly motorcycle projects a decent 10" lathe like a South Bend would take care of 99.8% of my hobby needs. Around here a 10" SB cost what a really nice motorcycle does.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #68
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Anyone else practically giving away a small lathe? I would have jumped all ove that Enco. My little atlas 618 is cute, but I have to borrow a bigger machine far too often. Here in AZ, SB lathes are rare or super expensive.
Looking at 10 & 11" imports out of necessity...
Try putting out some ads offering to trade your 6-18 + cash for a larger lathe and see what comes up. If you actually use one, a lathe it is never too large, but if you have a lathe in your garage that you are bumping in to all the time and only use it every other year, a smaller machine can be a nice compromise.

Reminds me of a story- I bought a sailboat from a guy, but he had given the outboard to his brother. Found out his brother was a pilot with an old airplane, called him up and offered to trade him an altimeter I had that was the same type as in his plane for the outboard. He wasn't to interested but said he'd look at the altimeter so I dropped it off at his house.

A week or two later he called and said he'd trade. Then he said "I probably won't use either of these, and your altimeter is a lot smaller than my boat motor!"
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #69
4play
Next?

The Atlas just sold, I'm poking around for a deal on something a bit more substantial.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #70
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
check industrial auctions...that's where I score the killer deals. Be prepared for 3 phase though..

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #71
4play
Next?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #72
Rafiki
Some Dude

Oddometer: 1,769
Found my SB 10k on craigslist after looking there and on lathe sale.com for @ a year or so.
They are out there,just keep looking and don't give up.

"Monkey killing Monkey over pieces of ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club, And beat their brother down."
Rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #73
4play
Next?

My search is over. I found an odd older Asian (Taiwan) lathe. It's tagged as a Vico, but is virtually identical to the older Jet 12". The model # is GT-1024 BUT it's a 12x24 with a 1.5" hollow spindle. Speed range is 65-1300, power feed in two axis in either direction, hardened ways with no defects. I paid $90 more than I sold the 6" Atlas for It only came with a 3 jaw chuck & a pair of faceplates, but appears to be a 2.187" x 6 spindle so finding a 4 jaw should not be too hard.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #74
Rafiki
Some Dude

Oddometer: 1,769
Congrats!!!
Now start making some chips!

"Monkey killing Monkey over pieces of ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club, And beat their brother down."
Rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #75
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Just saw this one for sale locally. Oh, you said small.....

groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote