ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #15181
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Have any of you folks out there, anywhere in the world, heard of any major failures of a Super Tenere?

~
I dind't hear about major failures but there are some annoying ones that Yamaha must solve:

- Hard starting
- Loosing spokes
- Bending wheels

But in general this is an amazing bike
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #15182
Xeroo
sweeet!
 
Xeroo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: sweden
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
Are you in the states? Upper midwest by chance?

I'm looking to downsize from my 640A plus I need a new project.
no im not

im from Sweden
__________________
Fun fun fun
Xeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #15183
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
I wonder the same thing, no failures or major issues

What disappoints me is Yamaha could be using this for publicity but they don't do anything, nothing, zilts

You don't see any adds on TV I subscribe to a few mags, never see and add from Yamaha (about the Tenere) do see other adds for quads and snowmobiles but nothing for adventure bikes.

Mean time we have guys going around the world on BMWs and there's links to them on Facebook, websites, they visit all the BMW dealers along the way and they advertise how great BMW is

BMW gets a lot of publicity from these riders, I follow lots of riders and I don't follow a single one riding a Yamaha

Why doesn't Yamaha help people? maybe they could push Yamaha dealers to sponsor riders, they could help with some money too.

I think Nick Sanders is the only rider I know doing something big with Yamaha.

I just read a few bloggers that arrived in Ushuaia and all the posted pictures are all BMW's
You right. BMW invest a huge amount in publicity to promote the GS. Probably that is one of the reasons the sales of this bike are far away to the others.

I think the S10 sales are marginal to Yamaha, and they would be like this forever: as you say no adverts, not much helping to adventure riders, nor events to promote it… this is not the way to increase sales.

But I must say that Yamaha Spain helped quite a lot to my dealer to sell us two bikes at a good price. We are 10 riders (most in GS) who do an annual off road trip with a good press coverage. Thank to this now there are two S10 in the group breaking the BMW monopoly.

The strange thing is after the trip we offered tons of pictures and videos to Yamaha and they don’t use it at all…
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #15184
hayfarmer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Upper Manilla NSW Oz
Oddometer: 124
Same thing here in Australia.....Yamaha do no promotional work on the S10. It pisses me right off that they have a top product and wont sell it.

Brian
hayfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #15185
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I dind't hear about major failures but there are some annoying ones that Yamaha must solve:

- Hard starting
- Loosing spokes
- Bending wheels

But in general this is an amazing bike
YAMAHA official response...


------------------------
Dear Mr Jaumev,

Please find below our official response to your complaints...

1) Loosing Spokes. This is generally the result of crazy owners and people not reading the owners manual.
2) Bending Wheels, Again we refer you to the above with reference to crazy owners.
3) Hard Starting... Please accept our apologies. We were unaware of this until last week because we don't read forums. However we wish to inform you we are working hard to match the competition in every way. Next model we have already developed better start system, exploding shaft drives, cracked frames, "service required" light, DES errors, faulty fuel caps, rear brakes that don't work, swelling gas tanks and 40% higher price
. I hope all our hard work will be to you satisfaction.

With humblest regards
YAMAHA design team.

-------------------
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #15186
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
You haven't lived until you have owned a KLR
Jeez...I must have just teleported straight to age 56.
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #15187
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
..............

So the question is this...

Have any of you folks out there, anywhere in the world, heard of any major failures of a Super Tenere?

..............
I love to ask the same question now and again so I can listen to the sound of silence.

I usually do it after a BMW troll makes an appearance.
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #15188
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
.............
I think Nick Sanders is the only rider I know doing something big with Yamaha.
............
Funny thing is, I had a chat with Nick at a UK bike show just before he went. He was promoting the trip at the time using a Yamaha supplied bike. IIRC, there were no mods done to the bike at all.
I asked him what he thought of the bike.
His answer: "Dunno, haven't sat on one yet".

Nut case !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
.............
I just read a few bloggers that arrived in Ushuaia and all the posted pictures are all BMW's
........
I'll see if I can help you out with that in April....
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #15189
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
YAMAHA official response...


------------------------
Dear Mr Jaumev,

Please find below our official response to your complaints...

1) Loosing Spokes. This is generally the result of crazy owners and people not reading the owners manual.
2) Bending Wheels, Again we refer you to the above with reference to crazy owners.
3) Hard Starting... Please accept our apologies. We were unaware of this until last week because we don't read forums. However we wish to inform you we are working hard to match the competition in every way. Next model we have already developed better start system, exploding shaft drives, cracked frames, "service required" light, DES errors, faulty fuel caps, rear brakes that don't work, swelling gas tanks and 40% higher price
. I hope all our hard work will be to you satisfaction.

With humblest regards
YAMAHA design team.

-------------------


Very funny but...

Price is not an excuse. This is s 15.000€ bike!!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #15190
MariusD
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Metairie, near New Orleans
Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post

What disappoints me is Yamaha could be using this for publicity but they don't do anything, nothing, zilts

You don't see any adds on TV I subscribe to a few mags, never see and add from Yamaha (about the Tenere) do see other adds for quads and snowmobiles but nothing for adventure bikes.

Mean time we have guys going around the world on BMWs and there's links to them on Facebook, websites, they visit all the BMW dealers along the way and they advertise how great BMW is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayfarmer View Post
Same thing here in Australia.....Yamaha do no promotional work on the S10. It pisses me right off that they have a top product and wont sell it.

Brian

Advertising is expensive, so companies don't do it unless:

1) They want to assure a successful launch of a new product
or
2) There is excess inventory building up that needs to be cleared.

So what does that tell us about the tenere? The market was probably hungry for a bike the the tenere, so it sold well during it's iniital launch and probably inventories have not gotten anywhere near the levels where "extra encouragement" is needed to move them. Companies don't waste money when they don't have to, and the fact that they are moving these bikes without flashy adds is nothing but good news in my book!

And what does that say about the bmw then? I'm not going to comment.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #15191
Goldie05
Fast George
 
Goldie05's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Advertising is expensive, so companies don't do it unless:

1) They want to assure a successful launch of a new product
or
2) There is excess inventory building up that needs to be cleared.

So what does that tell us about the tenere? The market was probably hungry for a bike the the tenere, so it sold well during it's iniital launch and probably inventories have not gotten anywhere near the levels where "extra encouragement" is needed to move them. Companies don't waste money when they don't have to, and the fact that they are moving these bikes without flashy adds is nothing but good news in my book!

And what does that say about the bmw then? I'm not going to comment.
I don't agree, BMW sells so many and they still advertise

On the other hand, my dealer has had one sitting on the floor for a long time :

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy II
__________________
12 Yamaha Super Ténéré
Alaska Trip
Cross Country Trip
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #15192
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,984
Cool2 Hmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Advertising is expensive, so companies don't do it unless:

1) They want to assure a successful launch of a new product
or
2) There is excess inventory building up that needs to be cleared.

So what does that tell us about the tenere? The market was probably hungry for a bike the the tenere, so it sold well during it's iniital launch and probably inventories have not gotten anywhere near the levels where "extra encouragement" is needed to move them. Companies don't waste money when they don't have to, and the fact that they are moving these bikes without flashy adds is nothing but good news in my book!

And what does that say about the bmw then? I'm not going to comment.

OK, let's see...

- Ford's # 1 selling vehicle in the USA is their F-150 truck (in fact, it's the best selling vehicle in the country, period), and they spend a ton advertising it.
- GM's # 1 selling vehicle in the USA is their Chevy Silverado truck, and it has the highest advertising dollar percentage of all their vehicles
- Toyota's # 1 selling vehicle in the USA is their Camry, and what do they spend the most money advertising? Why, their Camry.
- Jeep's # 1 selling vehicle is the Grand Cherokee, and what do they spend their money advertising the most?
- Honda's # 1 selling car in the USA is their Accord, and it gets the majority of their advertising dollar spent.
- Honda's # 1 selling motorcycle in the USA is their Gold Wing, and they advertise it heavily.
- BMW's #1 selling car worldwide is their 3-series, and guess what?
- BMW's # 1 selling motorcycle worldwide is their big G/S, and it gets the majority of their advertising budget...

- Apple's # 1 selling product is the iPhone, and what do they advertise the most?


I could go on, but can you see a pattern here?

And my local Yamaha dealer has had a nice, brand new 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere sitting on his floor for 9 months, heavily discounted.

Dallara



~
__________________

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 10:41 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #15193
MariusD
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Metairie, near New Orleans
Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
OK, let's see...

- Ford's # 1 selling vehicle in the USA is their F-150 truck (in fact, it's the best selling vehicle, period, in the country), and they spend a ton advertising it.
- GM's # 1 selling vehicle in the USA is their Chevy Silverado truck, and it has the highest advertising dollar percentage of all their vehicles
- Toyota's # 1 selling vehicle in the USA is their Camry, and what do they spend the most money advertising? Why, their Camry.
- Jeep's # 1 selling vehicle is the Grand Cherokee, and what do they spend their money advertising the most?
- Honda's # 1 selling car in the USA is their Accord, and it gets the majority of their advertising dollar spent.
- Honda's # 1 selling motorcycle in the USA is their Gold Wing, and they advertise it heavily.
- BMW's #1 selling car worldwide is their 3-series, and guess what?
- BMW's # 1 selling motorcycle worldwide is their big G/S, and it gets the majority of their advertising budget...

And my local Yamaha dealer has had a nice, brand new 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere sitting on his floor for 9 months, heavily discounted.

I could go on, but can you see a pattern here?

Dallara



~
You're not comparing apples to apples.

Advertising does come into play when you have a high volume product in a very highly competetive undustry (fast food, beer, banking, autos). But that doesn't apply to a market like the adv bikes.

It's possible that bmw produces many more bikes than yamaha in this class, so they have to make sure they move them all in a timely fashion, thus they advertise.

My point wasn't that if a product is being advertised it isn't a best seller. I'm just impressed that the tenere has not NEEDED advertising so far to be successful.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #15194
Goldie05
Fast George
 
Goldie05's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
You're not comparing apples to apples.

Advertising does come into play when you have a high volume product in a very highly competetive undustry (fast food, beer, banking, autos). But that doesn't apply to a market like the adv bikes.

It's possible that bmw produces many more bikes than yamaha in this class, so they have to make sure they move them all in a timely fashion, thus they advertise.

My point wasn't that if a product is being advertised it isn't a best seller. I'm just impressed that the tenere has not NEEDED advertising so far to be successful.
Now imagine what Yamaha could do if they really advertised, maybe the Tenere would become the new adventure bike for someone looking to do a round the world trip or a trip to Alaska ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy II
__________________
12 Yamaha Super Ténéré
Alaska Trip
Cross Country Trip
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #15195
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,984
Cool2 How many angels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
You're not comparing apples to apples.

Advertising does come into play is when you have a high volume product in a very highly competetive undustry (fast food, beer, banking, autos). But that doesn't apply to a market like the adv bikes.

It's possible that bmw produces many more bikes than yamaha in this class, so they have to make sure they move them all in a timely fashion, thus they advertise.

My point wasn't that if a product is being advertised it isn't a best seller. I'm just impressed that the tenere has not NEEDED advertising so far to be successful.


Nice dance move... And we're not talking fruit here. We're talking motorcycles, which are motor vehicles last i checked, just like the BMW G/S and the Honda Gold Wing.

I think it's safe to that Yamaha's FJR1300 sells in an equally small market niche as the Super Tenere, yet it gets more advertising dollars than the Tenere.

Using your logic, the Super Tenere was truly a "new product", and one I'm sure they wanted a "successful launch" of, yet advertising for the Super Tenere was almost non-existent in the USA, and certainly not as much as a simple rehash of the FJR has gotten.

Further, Yamaha was launching the Super Tenere into a market dominated by one brand/model - the BMW G/S. There were literally no other competitors. One would think Yamaha would have wanted as many potential *adventure* buyers as possible to know they were entering that market niche.

And now there is even another relatively major player entering that market niche - Triumph with it's new Explorer 1200 - and what is Triumph advertising the most heavily right now? Why, the 1200 Explorer!

Meanwhile there are numerous Yamaha dealers all over the USA with 2012 Super Tenere's sitting on the floor (I personally know of at 3 or 4 in South Texas, and you can see plenty more on Cycle Trader, eBay, etc.), yet no advertising gets spent on the Super Tenere. Have you seen even one ad showing the new colors for 2013?

All this reminds me of an interesting story I heard back when I was in the car business...

William Wrigley, Jr., of Wrigley chewing gum fame, was giving an interview while riding on a train. The journalist interviewing him commented that Wrigley's products were the best selling in the world yet Wrigley still spent massive amounts of money advertising. So then he asked him "If your chewing gum is the best selling in the world why do you spend so much more than your competitors on advertising?" Wrigley simply smiled and said, "Here we are, traveling on a train going over 60 MPH... Do you now suggest we unhook the engine?"

Advertising *drives* product. You can have the best product in the world, but if not enough potential buyers know about then it is destined to fail...

See Yamaha TDM850 for just one example.

Dallara



~
__________________

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015