ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #32251
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,750
Chris - curious about the new 350 XCW, since you have a KTM 300 2 stroke off-road bike. Are they so different that you need/want both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Decision made.......parting out the Yamaha WR250R....it's too tired to rebuild and I'm ready for a change of mounts....

Last night my local shop, All American KTM, offered me a smokin' deal on a 2012 KTM 350 XCW to blow out their 2012 inventory.....I've been dealing with these guys for many years/bikes and I appreciate the deal they offered me....pretty charged up about the XCW version vs. the EXC (street) version......the XCW series is ready to rock out of the gate with off road gearing/off road ecu mapping/headlight/slim tail light rather than big street legal junk.....I'll take it over to AZ., add a $40 brake light switch for the rear light, and presto....street legal in AZ.

Chilly raves about it.......that's good enough for me: http://www.enduro360.com/2012/10/18/...-first-review/

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to scout for the 2013 "CORE 4 Kids" fundraiser (I'd love to see a bunch of you there in March!): http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/87

I have a couple of local buddies who bought WR's based on my input......so I'm giving them first shot at the farkle stuff......I'll post up whatever is left in the coming weeks.......

It's been a good ride.....both the bike and this thread.....see ya out there!
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #32252
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Speaking of Seat Concepts... I'd like to lower my ass another inch. Has anyone installed the low seat and regretted it? If so, why?
My WRR came with a Spiral Step seat, which lowered it. That thing was terrible IMO. I put the stocker back on and added a sheepskin. I still have the Spiral if anybody wants it cheap plus shipping. It's been in a box foe 2 years.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #32253
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Decision made.......parting out the Yamaha WR250R....it's too tired to rebuild and I'm ready for a change of mounts....

Last night my local shop, All American KTM, offered me a smokin' deal on a 2012 KTM 350 XCW to blow out their 2012 inventory.....I've been dealing with these guys for many years/bikes and I appreciate the deal they offered me....pretty charged up about the XCW version vs. the EXC (street) version......the XCW series is ready to rock out of the gate with off road gearing/off road ecu mapping/headlight/slim tail light rather than big street legal junk.....I'll take it over to AZ., add a $40 brake light switch for the rear light, and presto....street legal in AZ.

Chilly raves about it.......that's good enough for me: http://www.enduro360.com/2012/10/18/...-first-review/

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to scout for the 2013 "CORE 4 Kids" fundraiser (I'd love to see a bunch of you there in March!): http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/87

I have a couple of local buddies who bought WR's based on my input......so I'm giving them first shot at the farkle stuff......I'll post up whatever is left in the coming weeks.......

It's been a good ride.....both the bike and this thread.....see ya out there!
Hello Crawdaddy,

Didn't commyfornia pass that registration law like up in Washington, where it doesn't matter what you do to an offroad bike you can never make it PLATEable anymore? Its great to have a full offroad bike but I still like the ability to drive it off-road and not have to trailer it there first. Besides aren't the new(2012-2013) Exc's pretty close to xc-w's; except gear ratio is not as close and has turn signals?
Well happy new year with setting up your new ride. Hope it's warmer there than it is in Tenn. 22deg.





O0ps forgot the cover lastnight
__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel

pfy50 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 04:41 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #32254
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas
 
jimmy2020's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: BERTHOUD, COLORADO / SANTA TERESA, CR
Oddometer: 974
Pirelli mt60

has anyone tried these on a X?
__________________
jim

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #32255
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,460
Hey Chris, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do You will be missed
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #32256
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
has anyone tried these on a X?

I used them on a MZ Streetmoto. 160 rear and 120 front. Very expensive but great on tar. Lasted 4k miles. It is basically a high performance sportbike tire with some dirt groves molded in. They are shallow groves and not really dirt blocks. I didn't think they still made them. Not on the Pirelli website last I looked.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #32257
Bynoid
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Norco, Ca
Oddometer: 57
Ran them on a DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
has anyone tried these on a X?
The rear was too wide for that bike and made the steering slow and hard to turn in. They would be way to wide for our narrow X rear rims and the profile would suffer.
__________________
'00 Superhawk, R1200RT, 950 Super Enduro, Ninja 250
Bynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #32258
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas
 
jimmy2020's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: BERTHOUD, COLORADO / SANTA TERESA, CR
Oddometer: 974
about the size

I was thinking a 130 rear and a 120 front?
__________________
jim

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #32259
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
I was thinking a 130 rear and a 120 front?
Ran some on a KTM moto, found them on clearance at a dealer for $40/ea and bought 3 sets. This was a long time ago and the dates on them then were a couple years old so I would double check that aspect as I think they are no longer around.

They were great, sold the bike with a set on it and sold the other two on CL for insane amounts.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #32260
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Oddometer: 379
Taillight assembly for sale in the Flea Market

Here is the link.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #32261
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas
 
jimmy2020's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: BERTHOUD, COLORADO / SANTA TERESA, CR
Oddometer: 974
thanks for that info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Ran some on a KTM moto, found them on clearance at a dealer for $40/ea and bought 3 sets. This was a long time ago and the dates on them then were a couple years old so I would double check that aspect as I think they are no longer around.

They were great, sold the bike with a set on it and sold the other two on CL for insane amounts.
Pirelli website still shows them? Things are much different here in central america
....probably cost quite a bit down here. I will also see if the mt21 is available. Talking to the seller, sounded like they keep MT60 in stock.
__________________
jim

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #32262
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
Pirelli website still shows them? Things are much different here in central america
....probably cost quite a bit down here. I will also see if the mt21 is available. Talking to the seller, sounded like they keep MT60 in stock.

I am confused by your posts. What are you trying to accomplish? The Pirelli MT60 Corsa was a high performance street tire with some dirt capability. In the USA they only offered the rear in a 160/60/17 size. It sold for about $200 and fit wide rims in the 4.5-5 inch range. The front was a 120/70/17 size tire (typical sportbike size) and cost about $160 each.

Perhaps they sell smaller versions of the tire where you are. In any event, the Pirelli MT21 is a DOT knobby and nothing like the MT60 Corsa. I only show them in a 21 inch front tire size. They have the smaller 17 inch rear sizes, though. Conti offers a TKC80 DOT knobby front tire in the 17 inch size. It is new in 2012.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #32263
ba_
Beastly Adventurer
 
ba_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester County, New York
Oddometer: 2,447
fork height

I am thinking of lowering the rear shock with the stock adjustments as outlined on wrrdualsport.com.

Can someone explain how to determine if anything should be done with the height of the forks? Is there a good article somewhere that explains the relationship between fork height and ride characteristics?

Thanks in advance
__________________
Triumph, Yamaha, KTM
ba_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #32264
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas
 
jimmy2020's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: BERTHOUD, COLORADO / SANTA TERESA, CR
Oddometer: 974
I'll clear it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I am confused by your posts. What are you trying to accomplish? The Pirelli MT60 Corsa was a high performance street tire with some dirt capability. In the USA they only offered the rear in a 160/60/17 size. It sold for about $200 and fit wide rims in the 4.5-5 inch range. The front was a 120/70/17 size tire (typical sportbike size) and cost about $160 each.

Perhaps they sell smaller versions of the tire where you are. In any event, the Pirelli MT21 is a DOT knobby and nothing like the MT60 Corsa. I only show them in a 21 inch front tire size. They have the smaller 17 inch rear sizes, though. Conti offers a TKC80 DOT knobby front tire in the 17 inch size. It is new in 2012.
I am simply looking to put a set of offroad tires on X rims. I have an X in the States and the MT21's worked great. The 120's did have a little tire rub on the fork, but I trimmed some of the side tread.

I'm in Costa Rica and tire selection is slim anyway, but even more with the X rims. I talked to a distributor today and he said he has the MT60 in stock and recommended them. Actually, I had never heard of this tire.
I just wanted to see if anyone might be familiar and has tried these.

I'm think my best bet is to see if this distributor can get hold of a pair of MT21's.
__________________
jim

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #32265
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore
 
Sewerat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Brooksdale, ON
Oddometer: 1,177
I ran the mt60 on a versys in the sizes mentioned. 160 rear. AWSOME tire for the street wet or dry. Reasonable on gravel roads. Useless in anything slick and muddy. Short wear life on the rear, approx 6-7000km and about 10-12 on front. I say short because same bike with heideneaus got almost double that on each end.
__________________
2009 WR250R "Da Mini Bike"
"That's our colour: mud!"
Sewerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014