Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #61
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
When my wife and I travel on the bikes, I carry the same kryptonite chain and lock 150ron posted a pic of and I lock the bikes together through the rear wheels. We also use a xena disc lock alarm.

When the bikes are parked at home, they reside inside a 6' tall page wire fence enclosure with these three on lookout.

No theft problems at home so far

Ok you Commi!!!!

$50 fine A PIECE for your "off the grid" security system

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #62
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,308
I like that Kryptonite chain lock.

The Club (maker of automotive steering wheel locks) also makes a very stout cable lock for motorcycles. Like someone else said back on page one, the thieves would need two kinds of tools, and heavy duty ones at that.

Personally, I use a Krypto U-lock through the rear sprocket, pin style disc lock up front, lock my helmet on top of the mirror (through the bark buster), and lock the steering. It could certainly be lifted into a van, but I do keep full coverage on my travel bike. My dual sport is buried in the back of the garage behind a car, and pretty much only goes to the forest and back.

I loaned my Krypto cable lock to my buddy after he came home to a burglary in progress. In the garage, they had his R1 pushed next to the garage door. In the house, they had his gun safe pushed to the front door, along with all his entertainment system components. They were clearly getting ready for a truck to arrive. He chased the guy 2 blocks, but backed down when he cornered the guy after remembering his loaded handgun had been in the headboard of his bed. That turned out to be a good call, because the gun was gone from it's hiding place.

I gave him a nasty lecture about leaving the gun outside the safe while being away. We now have one more handgun in the possession of a criminal.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #63
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post

No theft problems at home so far
I find that dog cookies and ice cream cones are great for making new friends!
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #64
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
I find that dog cookies and ice cream cones are great for making new friends!
I have known some dogs who are smart/cautious enough to refuse even the tastiest treat from strangers. Even after the owner says its OK, they won't take it. Those three look like that type.

I do the same thing, though. When my garage door is open, the neighborhood dogs like to visit me, because I keep some doggy biscuits or Beggin' Strips on hand. I love dogs.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #65
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I have known some dogs who are smart/cautious enough to refuse even the tastiest treat from strangers. Even after the owner says its OK, they won't take it. Those three look like that type.

I do the same thing, though. When my garage door is open, the neighborhood dogs like to visit me, because I keep some doggy biscuits or Beggin' Strips on hand. I love dogs.
Car dealer I used to deal with had an auto wrecker/body shop next door with a massive mean-looking shepherd-type guard dog. Sales guy almost died one day when I walked over to the fence to the dog, stuck my arm through a hole, and gave the dog the end of my ice cream cone out of my hand. "Don't you know that dog will take your arm off?!!"

Didn't tell him that dog had been getting treats from me every few weeks for the past year and was my best buddy already....
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #66
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Car dealer I used to deal with had an auto wrecker/body shop next door with a massive mean-looking shepherd-type guard dog. Sales guy almost died one day when I walked over to the fence to the dog, stuck my arm through a hole, and gave the dog the end of my ice cream cone out of my hand. "Don't you know that dog will take your arm off?!!"

Didn't tell him that dog had been getting treats from me every few weeks for the past year and was my best buddy already....

LOL at the "insider trading" that worked out in your favor...

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #67
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,624
a few years ago I went to Pigeon Forge with my daughter's softball team. On of the other Dad also rides, and since we had an "off" day on the schedule, we trailered our bikes up there so we could get some riding in. To make a long story short, it just so happened that I had to move the trailer which was secured to a utility pole using a cable lock. My friend was about a hundred miles away on his bike, and he had the key to the lock.

I went to the local hw store and bought a $4 hacksaw and ten minutes later the cable lock was history.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #68
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I went to the local hw store and bought a $4 hacksaw and ten minutes later the cable lock was history.

Hacksaws aren't that loud either.

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #69
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Yup. That's why you should use multiple layers of security.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote