Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #76
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Steering wheel is installed crooked.

When I got the Accord it would track straight just the wheel would be all messed up like that. That honda might have been the car that I learned to drive on, and that took me coast to coast but even with all those memories I never really liked driving it and those sorts of issues just added to it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #77
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Do VeeWees still have that blue instrument lighting?
Nope, it's a very bright white which I'm not a huge fan of at night. The first thing I had to do is turn down the instrumentation lighting almost as far as it would go.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #78
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Nope, it's a very bright white which I'm not a huge fan of at night. The first thing I had to do is turn down the instrumentation lighting almost as far as it would go.
Anything is better than the blue. I drove a Passat from San Antonio to Houston one night, man it was awful.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #79
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,399
Quote:
Unless your talking about a Ural...
I just drove a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix with the M-21 rock crusher transmission. That has a very positive feel.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #80
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,971
You should swap out your Ural gearbox for a Dnepr gearbox. They're mucho betterer!!!
(It's direct fit, but you'd have to shorten your drive shaft a wee bit.)

They're hardier and once you adjust shifter operated clutch slave lever half-automatic function, they're snikety smooth, you'll never miss another shift, and you never have to really use the clutch hand lever again except to change into reverse!

It's truly a shame that Ural survived and thrived and Dnepr didn't!!!
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #81
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
VW introduces new Passat Performance concept car at the DeToilet auto show, with 250hp out of a 1.8 turbo.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...t-performance/
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #82
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
VW introduces new Passat Performance concept car at the DeToilet auto show, with 250hp out of a 1.8 turbo.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...t-performance/
I don't get it, they say it will be one of the most expensive Passat models yet you'll be down on power VS the VR6. Since neither offer a standard it wont have that going for it, so what will it be? Sportier suspension, body kit, but less power?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #83
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

I'll post this here not to hijack any of the other VW threads but does anyone have experience with the newest beetle or Tiguan?

The VW dealer I got my Passat at is offering huge deals on them and I'm thinking about telling my mother to get one. I just don't know much about either model so any info would be a huge help.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #84
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
I'll post this here not to hijack any of the other VW threads but does anyone have experience with the newest beetle or Tiguan?

The VW dealer I got my Passat at is offering huge deals on them and I'm thinking about telling my mother to get one. I just don't know much about either model so any info would be a huge help.
I did see that they have some "retro" versions of the newest Beetle out. A 50's, 60's, and 70's version. They also have a "Fender" edition that is pretty cool. Might be worth a look-see.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #85
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,946
Quote:

we have a set-up whose son works for vw. he highly recommends against the beetle.

my wife's (previous generation) beetle has been generally trouble free, excepting the ignition, which often locks and won't turn without excessive force. the dealership says this is a "feature."

i told her to twist until the key breaks, then call them and have them come pick up their feature.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #86
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
we have a set-up whose son works for vw. he highly recommends against the beetle.

my wife's (previous generation) beetle has been generally trouble free, excepting the ignition, which often locks and won't turn without excessive force. the dealership says this is a "feature."

i told her to twist until the key breaks, then call them and have them come pick up their feature.
The last generation Beetle was a POS, I was hoping the redesign fixed some of the issues. And by POS I don't mean how it drives or reliability, just that they took a Golf and milked every bit of practicality out of it. The reason it looks interesting is that the base beetle is decently equipped (heated seats among other features) and they have left overs for cheaper than a base golf.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #87
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
Any specifics he brought up against the Beetle? Not to turn this into a bash-fest, I'm just really curious as I have been looking at them myself.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #88
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,946
Quote:
Any specifics he brought up against the Beetle? Not to turn this into a bash-fest, I'm just really curious as I have been looking at them myself.
she's not mentioned anything more specific than the electrical system. says her son jokes about them being called bug-on-a-hook, since that's how they arrive back at the dealer.

our set-up just upgraded her jetta to a passat, and she's had nothing but good luck with them.

the new new beetle is super-hawt though. my wife's lease is up this year and i imagine she'll get one.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #89
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,157
Quote:

I like the size of the Tiguan. I don't know why they don't move more of them.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #90
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I like the size of the Tiguan. I don't know why they don't move more of them.
Likely the price and need for premium gas for the turbo motor. One of the reviews I watched said it's basically a step inbetween the regular and luxury small SUV market in features and price.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: