Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #31
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Build a turbo kit for it. It'll be a fun project and the power hit will be insane...'wheelies in the first 6 gears.

What makes it uncomfortable for 2up? Widen the passenger seat, lengthen it, and add some foam. Lower the passenger pegs.

I'm pretty handy with mechanical things but a turbo is a bit beyond my skill level. The two up issue isn't just power. With both of us on the bike and my paniers packed the suspension is maxed out. I know I could modify the engine and suspension to make up for some of it but in the end I think its a lot easier to just get a bigger bike.

Right now I'm in a holding pattern. I'm going to save some money up then hunt for a new or lightly used bike that will fit the bill. I'm in no rush at this point.

I do like hearing all the different points of view.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
Everything now has linked ABS systems, electronic suspension systems, traction control, etc,etc, etc..

How fortunate that your statement is a gross exaggeration.

(very few bikes have these techno-gadgets)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 08:30 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #33
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
It has to put a smile on your face. If the current bike doesn't quite do it, it is time for a change. I had a perfectly good BMW RT that I liked a lot. It was a good bike and did everything I really needed it to do. It never made my soul sing. It took me almost 2 years to find just the right bike at the right deal. Now, every single time I throw my leg over my GSA, I am grinning like a fool. My choice isn't for everybody but it does everything I want and the top of that list is to put me in a great frame of mind when I get to my destination.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
It has to put a smile on your face.
Normally I agree with that, but I think there has to be a line.

For me, I'm not comfortable with financing a bike just for a smile, for example. Particularly if I have a perfectly working bike.

Now, if something were to happen to my bike, I guess I'd be forced to take steps...
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #35
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Well, what to say. I've gone from having to have the fastest, latest bikes, to bikes that are just plain fun to ride. Now, I go through a couple of different bikes every year. Currently, there is a Ducati S4, and a KTM 950SM. Neither are especially fast, but both are comfortable and run pretty strong. You mentioned your accessories. I used to buy all the stuff for them, full exhaust, the Duc has a $1100 Ohlins and Race Tech did the forks. But you never get that money back out of them. The KTM has a set of slip-ons and a jet kit, and the factory tank bag. But that's about it. Since these things (bikes in general) start losing value at a drastic rate once you roll them out the dealers door, I tend to buy them used.

That Big Super Tenere looks cool, but it also looks very large, very heavy. Same with the Triumph Trophy or whatever it's called, I sat on one over at the local dealer, but it sure is huge. Maybe for some Interstate Hwy boogieing, but on any kind of trail or whatever? No way.

Buy what floats your boat. I have a pretty short attention span, I'm looking at the Tuono V4 next.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Get a new bike.
Remind me what you do for a living again?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
I am the Seller of Magic Buttons.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
You have an illness that is an epidemic in this community.
Don't fight it..just get it and repeat repeat repeat.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #39
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh dear I figured out a way to pay for the new bike that won't impact my finances to much....quick someone talk me out of it!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #40
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Oh dear I figured out a way to pay for the new bike that won't impact my finances to much....quick someone talk me out of it!!!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #41
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

If I get a deal I like I'll pull the trigger. I'm going to make some calls and see whats on the showroom floors then maybe tomorrow take a ride and see for myself. Really sucks as the only local dealers are KTM (very small dealership) and HD. I have to drive at least an hour to look at anything else.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #42
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
The Versys is one of the best bikes around, in my opinion, but many riders would find its power inadequate for 2 up riding.

Bike selection always involves "what is the mission", and riding 2 up is a whole different mission.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #43
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
The Versys is one of the best bikes around, in my opinion, but many riders would find its power inadequate for 2 up riding.

Bike selection always involves "what is the mission", and riding 2 up is a whole different mission.
Maybe most people just weigh a lot more than me, but all reports are the versys 650 has similar power to a v-strom, and the wee has no power problems.

Now, wanting more power for fun or whatever, sure, but in terms of getting on the slab quickly and passing, ~60 hp is fine.

that's, what, 475 lbs of bike plus lets say 50 lbs of accessories, 332 lbs of riders and gear and lets say another 50 lbs of stuff = 907 / 60 ~= 15.1 lb/hp.

A honda accord coupe 4 cylinder 5-speed is 3311 lbs without a driver, 190 hp, which is 17.42 lb/hp. No driver, no passenger, no luggage.

The accord is not "down on power" and does highways absolutely fine, even ones over mountains. (Yes, the strom and versys have a bit more power than used above.)

Maybe "many riders" are those that tally much more than 350 with a pillion and gear?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #44
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
I can't believe no one picked up on this little gem:

You're better off selling the old bike before it depriciates too much? I don't know, my ex wife gave me the 'me or the bike' line. She was gone shortly after. I'm not good with these types of discussions.

As a guy on his third marriage, I can certainly understand this sentiment. It wasn't ever ONLY about my infatuation with motorcycles, but that certainly factored in. Wife #3 told me recently that I could have a new WR250R over her dead body, but that's a little too drastic even for me. And I really like her, anyway. She loves to ride with me and is learning to ride her own motorcycle, so I can live with this (for a while ).

We needed a new car so we bought one last weekend, so that's it for my new bike lust for a while. The good news is we got it at 0% financing, $0 down, etc. so it's free money, like sticking money in savings for a new vehicle but getting it now. I don't think any of the motorcycle dealerships are giving their money away like that.

I don't understand all this talk of "gee, the dealer is two hours away, darn it". Sounds like a great excuse for a shopping trip, my friend! When I lived in Wyoming I was 300 miles from the nearest BMW dealer and I owned 3 Beemers. It wasn't much trouble unless I needed service I couldn't do myself, so I learned a lot about taking care of my bikes myself. You can get anything you need on-line and FedEx'ed in a day or two, so it's no big deal. Being so far away kept me out of the showrooms and kept the lust at bay pretty well. We had dirt bike dealers in my town, but not much of a selection of "exotic" or touring bikes.

Good luck with your decision!

Doug
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #45
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,415
gee whiz - I have been jonesing for a Versys (no money though, so don't get your hopes up ) for a second bike to go with my big old hairy overweight cruiser that I got for two up duty. I would like tohave something smaller and lighter for commuting and a little scratching on the weekends. Put a 2Bros slip on on it and enjoy the sweet music.

My advice to you would be - don't get something that is too big. I like my Nomad but it is an 800lb pig. It's a nice ride, but difficult at parking lot speeds.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote