Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
icebox
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Maybe most people just weigh a lot more than me, but all reports are the versys 650 has similar power to a v-strom, and the wee has no power problems.

Now, wanting more power for fun or whatever, sure, but in terms of getting on the slab quickly and passing, ~60 hp is fine.

that's, what, 475 lbs of bike plus lets say 50 lbs of accessories, 332 lbs of riders and gear and lets say another 50 lbs of stuff = 907 / 60 ~= 15.1 lb/hp.

A honda accord coupe 4 cylinder 5-speed is 3311 lbs without a driver, 190 hp, which is 17.42 lb/hp. No driver, no passenger, no luggage.

The accord is not "down on power" and does highways absolutely fine, even ones over mountains. (Yes, the strom and versys have a bit more power than used above.)

Maybe "many riders" are those that tally much more than 350 with a pillion and gear?

cx, hate to tell you but a motorcycle has the drag of the average barn door, an Accord is pretty aero, and a Strom, had one, with a passenger, and luggage is about as aerodynamic as a barn going sideways. Add elevation power loss of 3% / 1000' and at 7,000' your loaded 48 HP Wee gets pretty weak headed West into a 40 MPH head wind.
Besides, in the Accord you can roll up the windows so the buffeting doesn't make you deaf. Sometimes there is no substitute for cubic inches, or centimeters.

Now as to the OP, I get the winter "buy another bike itch" every year, and winter has a lot to do with it. My winters are worse than yours, as soon as I can get back on, the itch seems to fade. Right now, 6 F, and going down to minus something I might need to buy two.