Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #51166
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
What do you guys suggest (or ride) as far as a used, lighter weight dualsport to go along with the L? I'm thinking of possibly picking something up.....just not really sure what to consider. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated
I have the Yamaha WR250R along with my XRL. A perfect combo for me.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #51167
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
I have the Yamaha WR250R along with my XRL. A perfect combo for me.
Tom how does the WR stack up to the xrl weight wise? And how does the 250 do as far as being able to tractor around in the dirt? I haven't ridden a WR250, does it have the ability to crawl around when need be, or do you have to keep it wound up more for the power?
That was one of the first bikes that came to mind when I started thinking of a lighter dualsport partner to the xrl......I just wasn't sure if a 250 would have enough torque to work for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #51168
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
My vote would be for the DRZ400, especially if you can get a plated off-road version. The offroad version has a FCR carb instead of the CV that the factory DS version has. Its also about 20lbs lighter than the XRL and has bigger, fully adjustable conventional forks than the XRL. I put a full Muzzy exhaust on mine and was getting ~39hp out of it with only jetting adjustments. Experienced many unplanned wheelies when I first put the exhaust on. DRZ's aren't as nice on the pavement due to straight gearing (5sp). Had Suzuki made them with a 6sp or 5th as an overdrive, I would've kept mine. A DRZ will cost more than the DR350 I think.
Does the DRZ carry its weight any lower than the xrl? To be honest I thought there'd be more than a 20lb diff between the 2....but the water-cooling does add considerable weight I would imagine.
I wonder how much a DR350 weighs?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #51169
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
What do you guys suggest (or ride) as far as a used, lighter weight dualsport to go along with the L? I'm thinking of possibly picking something up.....just not really sure what to consider. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated
It's totally dependent on your requirements, I.e., your preferences and your riding, in conjunction with your budget.

Around here, and if money were no object, for my riding it would be a CRF450X with baja kit to make it street legal.

My friend Marty rode his friend's 09 YZ250F and reported that it's fast and his above bike feels like a tank in comparison. Best would be to narrow your choices and try them out.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #51170
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
A DR 350 tho has caught my interest several times in the past I was just afraid I'd always be wanting more power.
Six gears makes up for lack of power. If you're a fan of air cooled 4 strokes you'll like the DR. When it comes to the dirt I have more fun on my DR than on my XR. Lighter bikes are more fun, easy to throw around and you don't have to pay as much attention/be as deliberate with them. Here is how I see them: My DR is a toy and the XR is for longer distances.

Don't worry about having too little power, less power just means you get to pin it all the time

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #51171
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Does the DRZ carry its weight any lower than the xrl? To be honest I thought there'd be more than a 20lb diff between the 2....but the water-cooling does add considerable weight I would imagine.
Just my two cents. My brother has the 09' DRZ 400 , it looks like it weighs about 300lbs, water cooled and e start. I have about 45 hours on it both street and some dirt. It is considerably lighter feeling than the xl, however I find it underpowered for me, I'm over 200 lbs. it does not cruise nearly as well on the highway, and I find that after an hour or so, it feels cramped to me. My bro is smaller 165 lbs , and it works great for him. It is fun off road he has knobbies for it also, but IMO it is not great dirt bike either, yes, much lighter, but you have to keep it revved up pretty good and keep the speed up to move along. It is modified bike, with a big bore kit and yoshi pipe.
I find the XRL a bit of a handful in technical dirt stuff, but with a little room to move, it is a pretty comfortable ride, not the new ktm450 comfortable, but that is a different bike.

XR BADGER screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 09:01 AM
XR BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #51172
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Tom how does the WR stack up to the xrl weight wise? And how does the 250 do as far as being able to tractor around in the dirt? I haven't ridden a WR250, does it have the ability to crawl around when need be, or do you have to keep it wound up more for the power?
That was one of the first bikes that came to mind when I started thinking of a lighter dualsport partner to the xrl......I just wasn't sure if a 250 would have enough torque to work for me.
There will always be those that won't agree but it will do everything in the sand,rocks, anywhere off road that I am capable of with ease. All the weight is low at the bottom so it seams very light weight when riding or picking up. If you never fall then you never ride. I weigh 180 plus gear & it will run on the highway all day long at 70 & still shine off road. I am hooked on the old XRL's so will probably always have one, but if I was forced to have only one bike the Yamaha would be it. Hope this helps some.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #51173
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
If you look at the DRZ motor, it's much narrower. Water cooling doesn't add weight. The whole bike is narrower, especially the seat. That's one of the reason's I sold mine and got an XRL. Seat feels like a 2x4. The other was the lack of overdrive-the bike is buzzy on long slab runs. Power was much snappier and it would easily lug along and but also be able to blip the throttle to get the front tire up. A lot of that was the FCR carb. Another part of the power for mine was the Muzzy exhaust. It really did add zip. It was louder than stock but not bad. Sound is subjective. The reps at Muzzys claim their testing showed a 5hp gain over the stock system. They do have their own dyno and dyno all the systems before selling something. Whether it was a 5hp gain or not, I'm positive it added a lot, even made the bike rev more in each gear.

However, if you're on a tight budget, the DR350 would be less $$$ as they are way under appreciated IMO for a very capable DS bike. For both the DR350 and DRZ400, you can add a kicker really easily (dont' have to open the motor on a DRZ) and ditch the electric start goodies for even more weight savings.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #51174
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Aww come on now Falcon, she aint THAT bad Although when I have my 4.7 tank full she sure does seeem to have a mind of her own in the dirt
I'm a taller guy, and my bikes been slightly lowered (although its pretty hard to tell ) so overall I don't have too many complaints.....my only real complaint is the top-heaviness. The overall weights not as bad as where the L carries it...way too high. I ride her most anywhere, but there are places I go sometimes that I wish I had a lighter bike to ride. I owned a suzuki 185 2-stroke in my younger years, great little bike except it had no real dirt suspension to speak of. A DR 350 tho has caught my interest several times in the past I was just afraid I'd always be wanting more power. I think I need to do some more research
Part of it for me is my size. I'm about 5'10" and 150 pounds plus riding gear. My bike has a White Bros lowering link, but I can still just barely flat foot it on both sides on flat ground. I've got a 4 gallon tank and can definitely notice a bit of a difference trying to balance it when it's full. I'm trying to improve my riding skills and stay on the pegs letting the bike move and do the work. The XRL is the biggest bike I've ridden ever, everything else was below 250cc so I'm still getting used to the size.

I really like what I've seen on the DR350's. I've heard too many complaints about the DRZ's, and I like air cooled.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #51175
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
its all personal pref. but i rode a dr 650 and the bike was awsome but the seat sucked big after about 45 min of riding, felt like it was splitting me apart at my hips! seat too narrow for any long sit down riding.

if it was performance i would go ktm enduro.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #51176
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I had an auto for a couple years. I liked it.

I forgot all about the bike. Thanks for the memory.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #51177
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I know a guy that swears by the autos as well. His deal was that he made a rear brake pedal on both sides of the bike so he had a advantage braking into the RH turns.
That guy was ahed of his time. Many of the top enduro riders use a Rekluse with a clutch side hand brake.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #51178
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Spud, thanks for the link to the DRC heat shield. I have added one to cart! No more burned pant for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #51179
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
That guy was ahed of his time. Many of the top enduro riders use a Rekluse with a clutch side hand brake.

A built XR with a Rekluse and a clutch side hand brake would be a great holigan bike. Wheelies would be way more fun...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #51180
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Can someone help me out, what o-ring is the one that needs sometimes need replaced when the left side case comes off?

Also, how do you post a youtube video here? I finally got an account. Now back to Supercross.