ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,147
Tell us about the Sprinter chassis, Saltydog.

ps-Tim is single-handedly keeping our local Mercedes dealer afloat until I get my E63 wagon.

jdiaz screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 07:38 PM
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
The Jeeps are OK but poor marketing and lacklister mileage numbers plagued them. Not to mention the premium to get a CRD over the gas engine. ie., It wasn't worth it. The only problem with the 2.8L is the ERG valve. They are prone to failure and are expensive to replace. I think there is a way to disable the EGR part of the ECU with a re-flash.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post

ps-Tim is single-handedly keeping our local Mercedes dealer open until I get my E63 wagon.
Lol, your a pot stirrer tonight! The Jeep never left me stranded halfway across the county with the closest part available being in Germany like the Sprinter did (that was a long 2 days in Littleton, CO.). Hmm, how many miles did my bullet proof Sprinter have on it when this happened....oh, yeah, less than 9k! The Sprinter is nice, but its not all roses with it either

Be unique and own a diesel...being eccentric is not easy

05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Jman
a.k.a. FUglyK

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Greetings,

I have a line on an 05 with 104k. Mileage service has not been done.

Thoughts?
Aren't you a pretty tall guy? Ever sat in one of these? Had a 2006 model (gas), I am 6'2", it was brutally uncomfortable. I have also heard that diesel has poor mileage.

I will say that it was a riot to goof off in the snow with though.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #20
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Greetings,

Thoughts?
I owned a gasser, but the Liberty forums were overrun with threads about problems with the diesel. I don't recall the specifics, but it's probably worth a glance through one of the fora. ()
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,832
...so get a Touareg diesel... It's a TDI don't cha know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post

Be unique and own a diesel...being eccentric is not easy
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Why they ever designed a diesel with a rubber timing belt is beyond me. Maybe not a big deal - but never thought that was a great idea, seems wimpy.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
My buddy had one, swears by diesels. He is/was a jeep guy for a long time. He towed a little camper with it, definitely needed air bags and the brakes are way under par for 7k lbs. Its also too light to tow too much with. Cross winds really screwed with him towing the camper.

He was plagued by wiring gremlins and pesky coolants leaks ALL the time. He had a nice winch bumper on it and no lift, he averaged 23-25mpg. Best he ever saw was 28mpg and that was at OBX doing 45 at sea level. The torque is nice, they are fairly quiet for a diesel.

The front seats are TERRIBLE!!! I mean they suck so bad they could be considered torture devices.

They ride decent but his had so many little issues he couldnt justify keeping it. To tow often the trans needs upgrades as well. He ditched it for a TDI jetta and tows the camper with his wifes 4 runner.

This isnt a buddy of a buddy of a buddy, its a close friend and I drove, rode in and worked on his liberty a lot. My wife also owned a 04 gasser Liberty. She loved it but like most chrysler products it suffered from electrical issues, trans issues and premature rust. Look for rust in the rockers, under the flares and around the hatch. Specifically the pinch weld around the top of the hatch opening.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,494
Quote:
Greetings,

Thoughts?
More importantly; when is your boss going to sell another big 12 cylinder German car???...Tell him I'd like an S65 AMG...

Thanks,

-A
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
More importantly; when is your boss going to sell another big 12 cylinder German car???...Tell him I'd like an S65 AMG...

Thanks,

-A
The Bentley *is* up for grabs.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,494
Quote:
The Bentley *is* up for grabs.
Sweet...

At least I know it is one of three Bentley's in the US that hasn't been showered with Cristal in a rap video...
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Your retarded....

In January 2011, VM Motori launched its brand new engine 3.0L V6. With 241 CV and 550 Nm (410 lbft) the A630 is among the best diesel engines in its class. As result of the collaboration with Fiat Powertrain Technologies the engine features the Multijet2 technology for improved performance, fuel economy and NVH. The first applications of the 3.0L V6 are the 2011MY Grand Cherokee and the 2012MY Lancia Thema.
You are the retarded one. You can't even buy a diesel Jeep in this country with that engine in it, yet. The 2014 Grand Cherokee will come with the VM 3.0 V6 but it has never been offered before. In 07 and 08 they sold the Grand Cherokee with a Mercedes 3.0 V6 diesel in the US.

Quote:
It is cheap enough at 10.3k. I'd start with a Green Diesel Engineering chip, then the ECU mod for the transmission. When the tires wear out I'd probably lift it 2.5"

At the end of the day I'd have a 30 + mpg ski (4x4) car with leather (heated) seats, sunroof, kicking stereo and 7,000 lb towing for under 14k.
The tow rating is 5000 pounds. It's not worth $10k, maybe 8k.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #28
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post

ps-Tim is single-handedly keeping our local Mercedes dealer afloat until I get my E63 wagon.
So, at that point, you can afford to keep the dealer going yourself?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,200
[QU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
No way. They're shit and the mileage isnt great. They seem to be pretty unreliable. Check the forums
I have been. I think like most things mechanical it all comes down to operation and maintenance. Granted I ride a BMW so I have a high tolerance for mechanical pain.

Quote:
I have the GDE tune and only get 20mpg on the best days...the lift, 32" tires, heavy front bumper and winch may not help?
The internet is full of liars about fuel economy, the RV forums are the worst for them. Towing 7k is not advisable with the short wheelbase, I had a 4500lb camper and had to add Air Lift to the rear to help with towing. 14K is a bundle for a CRD with over 100k on it.
Thanks for the real info. As Mr. Diaz pointed out my other ride is a sportwagen and I see all the fantastic claims on the TDI forums. I've logged every tank not for mileage claims but because a number of years ago a local Mobil station put gas in the diesel tanks.

I'm not doing the lift, bumpers or winch until the tires wear out. I will do the GDE tune and Trans controller in right away when the timing belt and water pump are done. I've got a local performance diesel shop that gets good reviews on a few forums and he has two other Liberty CRD customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
The Jeeps are OK but poor marketing and lacklister mileage numbers plagued them. Not to mention the premium to get a CRD over the gas engine. ie., It wasn't worth it. The only problem with the 2.8L is the ERG valve. They are prone to failure and are expensive to replace. I think there is a way to disable the EGR part of the ECU with a re-flash.
I've read about this and I believe you are correct, esp about the re-flash. I sure hope you are.

The driving factor in this is my recent change of employment and the permanent addition of Chace's niece to our household. I'm now working locally or I get on a plane while Chace has a 80 mile a day commute which she's been doing in the mini. Did I mention there are also two teenage boys living with us? Suddenly the mini is rather small.

So, Chace gets the TDI, I get the Liberty and the mini gets sold. We also have a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) that the boys drive.

The secondary benefit is we drop a payment which is always nice. The acv of the Liberty is 10.3 + the dreaded 199 "doc" fee which is the best price I've seen on a Limited.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #30
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,832
Run before your hard on for that stupid thing gets the better of you.

Quote:
[QU

I have been. I think like most things mechanical it all comes down to operation and maintenance. Granted I ride a BMW so I have a high tolerance for mechanical pain.

Thanks for the real info. As Mr. Diaz pointed out my other ride is a sportwagen and I see all the fantastic claims on the TDI forums. I've logged every tank not for mileage claims but because a number of years ago a local Mobil station put gas in the diesel tanks.

I'm not doing the lift, bumpers or winch until the tires wear out. I will do the GDE tune and Trans controller in right away when the timing belt and water pump are done. I've got a local performance diesel shop that gets good reviews on a few forums and he has two other Liberty CRD customers.

I've read about this and I believe you are correct, esp about the re-flash. I sure hope you are.

The driving factor in this is my recent change of employment and the permanent addition of Chace's niece to our household. I'm now working locally or I get on a plane while Chace has a 80 mile a day commute which she's been doing in the mini. Did I mention there are also two teenage boys living with us? Suddenly the mini is rather small.

So, Chace gets the TDI, I get the Liberty and the mini gets sold. We also have a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) that the boys drive.

The secondary benefit is we drop a payment which is always nice. The acv of the Liberty is 10.3 + the dreaded 199 "doc" fee which is the best price I've seen on a Limited.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: