Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #46
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
My 2007 ABS, when new, had a dud battery. It started to give trouble after 4-5 months, couldn´t hold charge enough to start off after a cold night, or went dead after a few repeated starts, when going around in the city. The bike was very easy to push-start, though, I could do it on my own even with all panniers fitted. But it´s not the ideal situation of course... and if the battery gets totally drained, then it could be a different story with push-starts.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #47
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
Reposado1800,

You are correct, with your heated gear used at low and medium settings there is no problem. Even if you had heated socks or insoles you would have been fine. But many times we turn our heated gear up just a little bit each time and before you know it we have it on the max setting. Whether this is a problem or not depends on how long you are using it on high. After a seven hour trip last year with the gear ( gloves, jacket pants, insoles)between 75% and max setting the battery voltage was down to 11.6 volts. The bike started with no problems but I really wonder how much lower it can go before before it doesn't. I installed Oxford heated grips this fall and they can pull up to about 50 watts. Using them at 75% and heated gear at about the same it only takes a few hours for battery voltage to drop below 12 volts. Even this past Sunday when I went down to the coast, about 150 miles, 3 hrs trip. By 2 hours battery voltage was down below 12 volts. And yes I was using high beams a lot.

My most common long trip is a 380 mile trip from NC to Baltimore that is work related. I will be making this trip next Monday and with temps in NC in the 20's when I leave it will be another test of all of this. I can't afford to pull into a rest area and then not have the bike not start again which is why I carry jumper cables and a spare battery.

Depending on how high you turn it up and for how long you keep it there depends on whether you will ever have a problem. I realize most people probably will not push it as hard as what I do and they will never have a problem. But I think someone who is looking to buy a V-Strom needs to be aware that they can get into trouble especially if they have heated grips. I knew this before I bought the bike. I also decided that buying an extra battery and jumper cables would be an easy way to get going again if I did drain the battery too low. Whether this is worth for others is their decision.
When pushing the limits everybody needs to pull out a multimeter and check first what it is doing at the battery before going on a trip. I run full Tourmaster heated gear with low, med, and high. High by all acounts is too hot and will burn you. It is used to warm up quick and then scale down to medium or low. I did 8 to 12 hour days in the winter and had no bike problems at all. None. If someone feels the need to get paranoid, they can unplug one headlight and run like that. There is no need but some people look for problems that dont exist.
The DL650 has a few shortfalls but electrical is not one. The dogturd shock, soft fork springs, lack of OE equipped centerstand and handguards are where the real issues are.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #48
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowtrekkor View Post
My wife calls this my mid-life crisis, I told her the crisis is over ...
It's only a crisis if you can't have one! :)

Here is a thread that I started on my 2006 DL650.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543149

I basically retired it at over 202,000 km when I got my 2012.(The 2006 still runs fine; just no idea what to do with a high mileage bike) My 2012 is better in every way so I never got back on my 2006. The 2012 has over 42,000 km, or close to 26,000 miles since I got it in March of 2012.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report

V-Tom screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 02:59 PM
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #49
jlegere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
** Holds up a watch and swings it back and forth **

Buy a wee strom!
jlegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,834
I've had a Vee and am on my second Wee, I consider it to be the best all-around bike that I've owned (see sig line, it is a few). I have no regrets and will likely get another when this one dies. Oh and it will do 100mph very easily. I've seen 130 indicated several times which is around 120mph.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #51
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
If you want a soul stirring, passionate bike with looks and brawn, no.
If you want a two wheeled Swiss army knife, with all the personality of a dishwasher, yes.
That there is some funny shit.

Funny, and true.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #52
Spillage
Commuting Poser

Oddometer: 32
I traded an '08 Versys and an '05 FJR for a new 2012 Strom this spring and never looked back. It's a great bike - fun to farkle, fun to work on and fun to ride. My brother traded his '09 Strom in on a 2012 as well. I rode the '09 a bit before we traded and I think the 2012 upgrades while subtle are noticable.

stromtrooper.com has great info and is a good bunch of people. You might as well budget another $1000 for what you'll want to do to it, although little is really necessary.

Ride on!
Spillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #53
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I love this thread, I have been asking myself this question for over a year now. I have read everything possible on this great bike, both on line and in all the MC magazines. The Wee Strom ranks up at the top of every bike comparison test.

I just had the discussion with my brother (KLR 650) and my wife yesterday. I told my wife I was selling both my 1999 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1600 and my 1997 BMW 650f and I'm buying a 650 Strom. I just want one bike now and the Strom is going to be it.

My brother is thinking of selling his KLR to go with a Wee. Once I make the change, he will follow.
I know we will both get more out of the Wee than the bike we presently own.

Gadget Man
Gadget Man,

The WeeStrom is a great bike. Especially with some of the changes made to the 2012+ model.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #54
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
No changes but the color.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #55
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 254
650 is a 650 that is a 650.

"with around 60 hp on tap, 650s are just powerful enough to be fun for a solo rider, but add a passenger and / or luggage and they fall flat. oh, they'll still haul you uphill, and accelerate you to freeway speeds; it just takes longer - plan your passes accordingly." (motorcyclist oct. 2012)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #56
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMan View Post
"with around 60 hp on tap, 650s are just powerful enough to be fun for a solo rider, but add a passenger and / or luggage and they fall flat. oh, they'll still haul you uphill, and accelerate you to freeway speeds; it just takes longer - plan your passes accordingly." (motorcyclist oct. 2012)
I think comments like the above are just plain silly.

On my 2006 I had occasion to give a firend a ride back from Ohio to East of Toronto, Ontario. (He crashed his Dl100 down there.) I weighed 240 lbs, he weighted about the same and I had side cases and top cases loaded up. We were over GVWR when we left. Most of the ride was at 75 to 85 mph and we had no issue at all with that.

No issues at all.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #57
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 188
2 up

Can't go wrong with the strom I've owned many fun bikes and allways have had a problem finding the right set up. Sold the VFR a wicked bike sold three different KLRs all fully loaded got rid of a R1100GS don't miss it.The triumph Scrambler loved it miss it tons of fun not great two up then bought the HP2 dream machine not practical terrible two up and expensive for luggage options. Having a 650 now is a step back power wise but I'm finally happy to have a bike a woman who loves my bike as much as me I don't think I'll have to trade either in and I can now just focus on riding and having fun.
NONAME13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #58
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 421
i have a 2012 Adv. model and love it, so smooth, fast enough for me, hauls lots of stuff, brakes very well, nice fuel mileage, reliable and kind of sucks accessing the air filter...........buy one !
I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #59
Captn Spock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
coming from a super sport rider

I recently purchased a near new 2012 Wee with 6000 kms on it. My other bike is a Kawasaki ZX6R. Hoon bike, literally.

Anyway, I was in the market for a true adventure tourer. Ability to do highways, haul reasonable amounts of luggage, comfortable, capable of taking off road and reasonable dirt. I mulled over a KLR650 for ages and ended up getting the Strom. The Strom, as others have said is a very versatile bike. It does a lot of things well, but excels at nothing.

You can't ride the Dakar on it; at the same time you cannot enter corners in the twisties at 140 kmph because it is a not an R1. But you can get on it, and ride around the country, carry your luggage and tent, ride across a forest, a creek and have a ball.

On the road, it doesn't look exciting. Its an older guy looking bike. You will even receive little to no attention from cops (which is a good thing). Nobody notices a Strom because they're just ordinary looking, feeling. It will also never get stolen. BUT its a cracking bike.

I recently rode through a state forest and on the way back did some sealed twisty roads. On the twisty roads, I caught up to some super sport bike riders on Suzuki GSX-Rs, fully kitted with all race gear and shit. The Strom made them look ordinary. On the other hand, I rode with enduro bikes in the forest on easy gravel roads and 4x4 tracks.

What more can you ask a motorcycle to do?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #60
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Spock View Post
On the road, it doesn't look exciting. Its an older guy looking bike. You will even receive little to no attention from cops (which is a good thing). Nobody notices a Strom because they're just ordinary looking, feeling. It will also never get stolen.
About stealing you´ll never know, and I would not act like it´ll never get stolen. It´s a good thing 2012-> has immobilizer.

Basically I agree on that usually it doesn´t create a whole lot of interest from anybody, and while travelling, that´s an upside.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote