Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #8356
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
new XT

Thought I would say hi here.
I had a 1995xt225 a few years ago and ended up selling it and have since regretted it.

Last week this followed me home from southern Maine:

Its the 2007 model. Planning to work on some modifications this winter and can't wait to ride it once the weather gets a bit warmer (negative 1F here this morning)
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #8357
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Wiki

LisaS, woot!

Her post got me thinking about the mighty XT225's run over the model years. It occurred to me there should be a Wiki page. Then I checked and by golly somebody did stub one out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XT_225

I'm thinking we could flesh out that page. The color scheme changed just about every model year so a set of such pix might be a nice contribution. Visitors might also appreciate a link to this thread and other forums. I'll put it on my to-do list. Any other takers?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #8358
DerekC
n00b

Oddometer: 8
front fork upgrade

Are there any triple trees and larger forks that are a direct bolt on to the XT225. Or, a set that might fit with slight modifications?
DerekC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #8359
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekC View Post
Are there any triple trees and larger forks that are a direct bolt on to the XT225. Or, a set that might fit with slight modifications?
By far the easiest and best upgrade is .42 springs and cartridge emulators with 15w fluid. I think ever heavier springs are available too.
I think offroad.com did a yz fork swap on a ttr230 which is pretty much the same bike.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #8360
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
By far the easiest and best upgrade is .42 springs and cartridge emulators with 15w fluid. I think ever heavier springs are available too.
I think offroad.com did a yz fork swap on a ttr230 which is pretty much the same bike.
spring upgrade is great , did one, but i'd like LONGER forks so thanks for the info on the yz..will go take a look.

update/edit, took a look: thx dude, here's some good stuff i found jus from google your yz suggestion,

xt225 upgrades http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/project-foo-fighter-2007-yamaha-xt225-build-part-4-52573.html

fork swaps http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17555

dav_dman screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 10:21 AM
dav_dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #8361
DerekC
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Yes, thanks for the info. That's something I may look into. For anyone else that may be interested, here is the info on the swap:
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/project1565.html
DerekC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #8362
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
Thought I would say hi here.
I had a 1995xt225 a few years ago and ended up selling it and have since regretted it.

Last week this followed me home from southern Maine:

Its the 2007 model. Planning to work on some modifications this winter and can't wait to ride it once the weather gets a bit warmer (negative 1F here this morning)
Lisa, I had a 1992 XT225 for many years and many, many miles. A great, super-dependable bike but I started worrying about the miles I had on it. It was either do a complete rebuild or find one with fewer miles. As luck would have it, shortly thereafter I found a 2007 with only 247 miles on the odometer and sold the 1992. Now, I live at 4400 feet in elevation and most of my riding starts there and goes up to around 12,000 feet - so I was surprised to find how lean the 2007 ran, even at those altitudes. If whoever owned that bike before you did has not done it yet, you might want to read up on what it takes (pretty simple fix, really) to rejet the carburetor and have it run like it should. Lots of good information on this site and over on XT225.com.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #8363
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post

LisaS, inquiring minds want a closer look at that front wheel.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #8364
pnw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Now, I live at 4400 feet in elevation and most of my riding starts there and goes up to around 12,000 feet - so I was surprised to find how lean the 2007 ran, even at those altitudes. If whoever owned that bike before you did has not done it yet, you might want to read up on what it takes (pretty simple fix, really) to rejet the carburetor and have it run like it should. Lots of good information on this site and over on XT225.com.

OK, I know I have asked similar/same Q in past but given your experience above I am going to be bold and ask anyway. What jet size(s) did you use and did you do any intake or exhaust mods? Did you do the pilot screw adjustment or shim the jet needle also? Opinions on these are all over the place, some earlier posts in this thread indicate the bike becomes un-rideable with even only pilot jet up one size to 42.5. Other posts indicate that larger jet(s) prevent proper atomization of fuel, some even used smaller than stock main jets when opening the intake and exhaust flow (that one certainly doesn’t make any sense). I plan on working on the carb today or tomorrow and for sure will do the pilot screw adjustment but keep going back and forth about jet changes. I bought one size larger main and pilot jets for an ‘06 and the bike will be ridden from essentially sea level to maybe 6,000 to 8,000 elevations so I would greatly value your opinion. I don’t plan on doing the exhaust or snorkel mods or drilling the air box. At most I will change the filter element to a unifilter but I doubt that that makes much difference compared to stock.
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #8365
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I would start out just doing the 3 turn out on the fuel screw. If you are not going to open the exhaust or modify the snorkel, the stock jetting may be OK. I have the 3 turn out, Z1 exhaust mod, UNI filter, 42.5 pilot and 130 main. Snorkel has the bottom section cut off and I added (2) 1" UNI filter plugs to the side of the airbox. Runs perfect at our 1200' altitude.

As I said, do one thing at a time.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #8366
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 122
Ode to the XT, of sorts (Baja Unadventure)

I want to post this ride report here, since the end of it is, in a way, an ode my "Li'l Burro," the XT225 we all know and love!

http://operaflute.blogspot.com/2013/...adventure.html
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #8367
shoein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
LisaS, inquiring minds want a closer look at that front wheel.
Hey CamperBob. Went out in the shop and looked at the front tire of Lisa's new xt. Looks like a stock rim with a worn out tire to me. The new parts are starting to roll in. New jets, tires, fenders, bars, handguards, tail light, turn signals, pegs are a few of the mods.
shoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #8368
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoein View Post
Hey CamperBob. Went out in the shop and looked at the front tire of Lisa's new xt. Looks like a stock rim with a worn out tire to me. The new parts are starting to roll in. New jets, tires, fenders, bars, handguards, tail light, turn signals, pegs are a few of the mods.
Musta been an optical illusion. The tread pattern looked like maybe some kind of studs or chains or somesuch for riding on that white frozen stuff featured so prominently in the pic.

Have fun getting 'er ready for when it melts.

Bob
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #8369
pnw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
[QUOTE=GlennF33;20403540As I said, do one thing at a time.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping to avoid taking the carb apart more than once to clean it and change jets but your advice is wise given the curious lack of consensus on what works best regarding jetting for altitude. There is either a lot of variation between standard carb specs or variation between owners on what they feel is a good running motor. Didn't get to it this weekend anyway, hands numb from cold working on my truck in the driveway.

Thanks again
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #8370
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,896
Took the XT out for about a 70 mile loop on back roads in Litchfield Cty CT. About 30deg F., but thanks to Mr.gerbings, very manageable. Just had to remember to pull the plug about 5 miles before I stopped to recharge the battery.

Great to be out, and the XT was running wonderfully. I think it loves the cold weather.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote